Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nellie got spayed today and she is not handling it well. We picked her up at 3:30 this afternoon and to be expected she was not a happy girl but she was moving around a little.
An hour later she tried adjusting herself on her blanket and started screaming in pain. I got her calmed down but a few minutes later she tried to move to another blanket and again screamed. I gave the pain meds but she crawled under the couch crying and now won't come out, it's 8:00pm here. I can hear her move now and then and when I stick my hand under there I can feel her breathing.
I am worried about dehydration too, I did get her mouth wet and put some water on her gums before she went under the couch but beyond that she hasn't had anything to drink. None of my dogs have had this reaction to spay or neutering so I am worried.

Please pray that the pain subsides this evening and that she perks up a bit in the morning.

I have to leave her for a few hours tomorrow and am dreading it plus my daughter is upset because "Nellie isn't Nellie anymore":sad5:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Is there an emergency vet you can call? I'd be worried if she's out of sight since you can't monitor her if she's in hiding...

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I agree that I might would call an emergency vet or does your vet have a pager they can page him on? My vet gives us a number to contact him after surgeries in case something happens? I would make sure you can monitor her. Bless her heart :-(

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Any way of moving the couch to get her out? Marmalade didn't handle her spay well, either, but yelping in pain has me a bit worried. I wouldn't worry too much about not drinking tonight, but she should have some by morning. She may have had IV fluids during the spay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks keep the prayers coming. She came out on her own an hour after I posted last night and just snuggled with my mom. She is a very nervous dog so I think that some of her problem is her being drama queen, she will yelp if a leaf falls off a tree and lands near her:rolleyes:

She is up right now sniffing for some of my soup, she got up and drank some water last might and piddled once so I am glad about that. I will need to make a shroud because she is trying to pick the stitches.

Hiccup is frustrated because she won't play, he was the exact opposite you have never known that he had just had surgery. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much, Nellie is back to normal :D The second day after surgery all she wanted to do was sleep outside in the sun which I think really helped.

She finally let me pick her today without yelling at me, she is a huge drama queen so she is trying to milk this for all it worth. Thankfully she isn't jumping up on the couch or our beds but we have to keep her and Hiccup separated.

Poor Hiccup is miserable so I am hoping my brother will let me keep his puppy for a few days so they can play together. Its a squishy adorable pit bull so it is really funny to see the two of them rolling around the floor and chasing each other. One nice thing is that Hiccup has become more snuggly with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts