Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that know Gidget know that she is a tiny girl at only 2 lbs at a little over 2 1/2 yrs old. She has been acting a bit strange for a little over a week. She sorta looks around like she is following a flying insect but there is nothing there. She is still alert and responds to me talking to her or my hand moving but she just kind of looks around. I have looked this up and it seems it could be the onset of seizure behavior. Someone mentioned SM/CM or something along those lines but those symptoms do not seem to be the same as hers. I also had someone say possible petit mal seizures but the videos I have seen not look the same. She still has a health appetite, plays and everything normally but she has been pawing a bit at her ear and shaking occasionally like she is shaking water off but this is not something she does often so this is a bit different too with the shaking. I wondered if an ear infection could be causing her to be a bit dizzy. But with that being said this seems to happen only in the evenings which I have read could be floaters that she may only be able to see in the dim light. Tonight she continued after I turned the light on though? I am confused and very worried about my girl. I would love to hear anyones thoughts on this especially if you have a Chihuahua or dog that has/does this and what it may be and what could help. I am calling the vet in the morning and to schedule an appt as soon as possible but would like to be able to present different possible scenarios to the vet when I go. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When you mentioned that she looks around like she's chasing a fly......my first thought was floaters or cataracts. I actually have cataracts, and, while they don't bother me too much, when there is really bright light - like being outside on a snowy day, or at night when I am in a well-lit, lighter coloured room, I see the floaters. AND......I can not count how many times a cataract has caught my attention and I swat the air because I think it's a fly or a bug!!! Of course, I'm intelligent and it only takes me a minute to realize it's just my cataract but a dog wouldn't understand that and keep looking for the "fly".

I also know that when my Bella started going blind she would sit and just weirdly look around - like she was "off". Now, of course, I know that she couldn't see well and was also likely trying to figure out what was blocking her vision.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's Gidget's eyes that are the problem.

I hope Gidget is okay. Let us know how she does.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hope the vet visit finds out what is wrong. I know with Perse she does shake her head a little bit and have her ear back and it seems to throw off her balance, but nothing wrong with her.

I hope hope hope it's nothing serious! Praying for her.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
This is sad I hope your baby girl is okay and that you get the problem fixed as soon as possible hopefully the vet will have a simple answer :)
I suppose you could contact the breeder and ask if her parents or grandparents etc have ever experienced anything similar?

·
Registered
261 Posts
My coco gets ear infections every few months and as soon as she starts shaking her head I take her to the vet and I've always been right but I cant say the other thing has happened like swatting a fly. I would definitely take her to the vet.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys and sorry if I confused anyone with my post. I typed it last night on my phone and I tend to do so fast and usually do not proof read on my phone before submitting.

Her breeder was a punk teenager that bred his two dogs which I now have her mom and dad. I rescued them after getting Gidget. Rescued the Dad and then 6 months later the mom. I have not seen these behaviors in either of them.

The vet says her eyes and ears look good. He looked deep back into her eyes and all seems well. I had him run a full blood panel so I will get results back in 5 to 7 business days and we will go from there. We are hoping it is just normal floaters but ofcourse it could be epilepsy, etc... I am going to document these episodes in a notebook so I can list time of day, lighting in the room, temperature in the room, whether television is on, etc... so maybe it will help rule out some other things.

Below is a photo of her when I got back into the car. She was not happy about them wrapping her neck after the blood was drawn. Bless her

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My chi, Emmie, has FOCAL epilepsy. She looks up and around as if she sees 'things' that aren't there. We finally took her to a vet neurologist who diagnosed her. Of the eons of tests (spinal fluid, skull x-ray, blood work, and others, they diagnosed this. She has been on phenobarbital, and potassium bromide that keep her symptoms under control. Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We will be praying for Gidget.
Look up " Fly snapping syndrome". I have read about this in cats. It might also apply to dogs. I believe it can be a sign of epilepsy, but completely controllable with meds.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We will be praying for Gidget.
Look up " Fly snapping syndrome". I have read about this in cats. It might also apply to dogs. I believe it can be a sign of epilepsy, but completely controllable with meds.
I read about the fly snapping syndrome when I first started researching. She does not snap at them so I am hoping it does not progress to this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts