Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started both of the dogs on prey-model raw a few weeks ago. My boyfriend and I have been discussing it, and we both feel more comfortable feeding them mostly pre-made raw with a few raw meals per week. He doesn't like all of the guesswork of trying to balance the diet, and I agree that I may not be up to the challenge yet. We also ran out of freezer space very quickly, which made me realize I would have to make a weekly trip to the store if we wanted to go all raw. Pre-made with raw meat added to it seems like the best option for us. I still plan on giving them bony meals a few times a week for the dental benefits, and I still want to add raw meat to their food every day. I will be feeding mostly ZiwiPeak with the occasional Stella and Chewy's. My questions are:

If I am feeding Ziwi which contains organs, should I still add a little organ in for the all-raw meals? Or will the organ/nutrients in Ziwi balance it out?

For those that do ZP add-ins like meat or egg: How much do you typically put in with each meal? (A teaspoon, tablespoon, etc?)

What supplements (if any) do you use with pre-mades? I still plan to add fish oil on the days they eat raw meals.

Thank you everyone for your help in getting us started on a raw diet. I hope in the future we can switch to a full raw diet, but it doesn't seem like the right thing at the moment.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think pre-mades are great. They are a very close second to prey model and an excellent choice. Certainly MILES ahead of any kibble you could buy, even the super premiums. There's just no comparison really to feeding fresh foods as compared to processed. ZiwiPeak is top notch. Certainly one of the best choices you could make and Stella and Chewy's is excellent also.

No, you don't need to mess with organs. They are only 10% of the raw diet and all pre-mades contain them. So no need to add more.

When I do ZP as a meal, I do about a heaping tablespoon of Ziwi, a little warm water, and about a teaspoon of something else. It might be canned food, raw or cooked meats or scrambled egg, etc. I don't add a raw egg to the Ziwi as one egg is a meal. If I want to do an egg, I just do it separately as a meal.

For supplements, I like Nupro or Missing Link Prescription Strength. I do a small scoopful of one of these (alternating) a couple of times a week. I also do salmon oil and vitamin E a couple times a week as well. The Nupro or ML is just an add-in supplement that I like. It's not necessary as the pre-mades are complete and balanced. Salmon oil is a great supplement. Very high in omega 3's so you get wonderful coats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts