Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few of you on here that breed chi's so I thought this might be an OK place to ask this question.

Generally do you find pre-weaned weights to accurately reflect what a puppy will weigh as an adult? I have a deposit on a 3 wk puppy that apparently is a very greedy nurser, and currently is 17.1 oz. That puts him around 6 lbs as an adult (which is just fine with me, I just hope he can be gentle w/ my other pup!).

I have another pup from the same dam, who is about 3.2 lbs now at her full grown weight. At the same age of 3 wks she was charting to be about 5.5 lbs. The sire is different, but about the same size as my current pup's sire was.

I know none of this is an exact science, I am just so curious how it will all turn out LOL.

Should I expect he will be around 6 lbs or should I wait and see how he is charting after he is weaned?

I also know sometimes the chart is right on, and sometimes it is not. So hard to tell! :confused:

Here he is on Saturday taking a nice big yawn:

:eek:

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
wow cute i dont know to be honest obviously these results cant be very acturate if they were wrong last time! Looks like you might have to wait and see :) Lucky surprise lol

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I was told that Jake would be around 5lb when fully grown according to his 12 week weight, well Jake at 8 months was a good 7lb. mind he is a tubby fella so think I have been feeding him a bit too much... :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the weight estimates are accurate.

My Daisy was only 18 ounces when we got her at 8 weeks. She is now anywhere between 4.8-5.3 pounds depending on where she is in her eating cycle.
Mine was the opposite, at around 24 ounces at 8 weeks and probably will be lucky to hit 3.5 lbs as a fully developed adult.

It doesn't really matter to me what the new baby weighs but I am purchasing a purebred akc chihuahua for a reason, so thus my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have been keeping track of Bella's weight every week and so far, she has stayed on target every week with what the chart says. I think it just depends on the puppy. Bella was the runt and her brother seemed huge compared to her, but he is currently like 3.5 lbs. I would have thought he would have been more by now, so it is very hard to tell! Your baby is adorable though!! Such a cute picture!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been keeping track of Bella's weight every week and so far, she has stayed on target every week with what the chart says. I think it just depends on the puppy. Bella was the runt and her brother seemed huge compared to her, but he is currently like 3.5 lbs. I would have thought he would have been more by now, so it is very hard to tell! Your baby is adorable though!! Such a cute picture!
Oakley was kind of weird...she was charting to be around 5 lbs til 3.5ish months. When I got her at 4.5 months she had dropped to charting to be closer to 3.5 lbs. At around 6 months she stopped growing almost entirely at 3.1 lbs. In the last 3 months, she's only gained one ounce...so I think she will probably top out a bit under 4 lbs or closer to 3.5 lbs.

I don't know if I trust the weight chart that much...but this little puppy is adding a new bloodline to her breeding program because of the daddy, so she doesn't know exactly how they will turn out.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think that puppies are very unpredictable regardless of the chart. Neeci weighed 2lbs at 6 weeks, 3lbs 15oz at 20 weeks and now at almost one year she weighs 4lbs 2oz at her heaviest and the vet said not to expect her to grow at all from now on. She didn't follow any chart. Elli weighed 24oz at 8 weeks, 25oz at 11 weeks and now she weighs 2lbs 15oz at 18 weeks. She "charts" at 4.5 lbs but who knows for sure. She is much more cobby and solid than Neeci so I wouldn't be surprised if she was over 5lbs as an adult easily.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that puppies are very unpredictable regardless of the chart. Neeci weighed 2lbs at 6 weeks, 3lbs 15oz at 20 weeks and now at almost one year she weighs 4lbs 2oz at her heaviest and the vet said not to expect her to grow at all from now on. She didn't follow any chart. Elli weighed 24oz at 8 weeks, 25oz at 11 weeks and now she weighs 2lbs 15oz at 18 weeks. She "charts" at 4.5 lbs but who knows for sure. She is much more cobby and solid than Neeci so I wouldn't be surprised if she was over 5lbs as an adult easily.

That is fascinating about your Neeeci. I wish there was a more accurate way to tell, but then I guess I also realize that it doesn't matter what they weigh, they love you with a lion's heart =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts