Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Susie is doing better!

I am going to call my vet today, but she did not give instructions for taking Susie off prednisone gradually!:confused: She is on 30mg in the morning and 20 in the evening for 7 days! I always thought you had to slowly decrease the dosage! Has anyone ever heard of not weaning off prednisone? I am losing my faith in vets!

I should have noticed it when I picked her up, but I wasn't thinking straight! Not that I am now! Lol! I have been getting up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours to let her out!:sleepy5:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Sometimes, when given in just one week, you can just quit, BUT your vet should have told you. Weaning off a long term doseage of prednisone can be months! The dosage you have given is ALOT! Pred makes a dog pee alot also. Is she pee pad trained? I forgot what susie's medical problem was?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, she is not pee pad trained. (She is a golden.) Yes, she is peeing a lot! Thing is, they also gave me a lot more pills than what I need for the allotted time! Which is good, because just to be on the safe side, I have enough to taper her off them! Her problem is a tick disease, anaplasmosis. It is very similar to lyme, but different. I guess it's a different strain! She sleeps alot! But she is 10 years old!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Every vet I have ever worked with has ALWAYS tapered prednisone. Generally, for a short steroid course, you would only do the highest dose for under a week. Then another week to two weeks would be spent tapering off the dosage. Stopping pred cold turkey is not advisable.
Definitely call your vet. Your pup is on a pretty high dose and I would expect there to be some problems if you just stopped the pred outright.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
622 Posts
Usually a treatment of more than 3 days or so you should taper. Every doctor is different though and may have different protocols on tapering. I would personally want to taper my dog.... so I'd call and ask.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. She needs another blood test, so hopefully they will be able to do it tomorrow and I should find out what to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts