Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the reasons I say men sometimes are just horribly unwise. I left my home in the care of my father, for a few days and told him "Don't let Chihuahua with the other dogs she's in heat and the others are getting fixed on the first but she cannot be with them" and of course I return home and find him watching tv on the couch [same place I left him a week before] and my female chihuahua no where in sight. I asked and he said "In the back yard" and of course I was insanely worried.

But the only intact male dog seemed to not notice her, a previous trip to the vet two years earlier had me told she was infertile and could not become pregnant. Well the spay clinic would not spay her since she was in heat, so we had the other dogs all fixed and we made a appointment for her for some time in Feb.

well two or three weeks past and she started to get rather large...and now it's very VERY clear she is pregnant. I'm just not the most sure on how far along since the only one home at the time did not write the date down. I have added some pictures in hopes maybe some of you could help.

Again this was not a on purpose breeding, but it is against my religion and my inner morals to abort anything unless it's life or death. So we know of course who the father is and my vet says the labor should go fine and not to worry that I'm just over reacting and a worried mommy.

But she is my little angel, she will be spayed as soon as the puppies are weaned thank goodness!. She had been in a few dog shows thats the only reason she was unspayed. Luckily we know the father and we know his whole life history. And to think I swear older men never tend to listen! but thank you if anyone could offer me any advice. Nothing rude or hurtful please someone jumped all over me in a pet store the other day while I was finishing the shopping of her whelping supplies.

It was horrible! the woman yelled and tossed things and she said she had half a mind to come take her get the pups aborted and never let me see her. I was shocked at how some people could act. Also I have helped whelp litters before as my mother raised show Cockers and I was born into a family like thus. but Cockers and Red heelers are NOTHING like chihuahuas so again any advice would be amazing! Thank you!.

Also if you could offer any advice on re-homing the puppies as we have 6 dogs currently one of which is a service dog in training so we cannot possibly keep the pups. Although I wish we could!. Also if you could guess how many she would have, my vet thinks we missed the possibly Xray date.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
First off if you dont have homes waiting, start letting people know shes pregnant now, and that you'll have pups ready when they hit about 12 weeks. It'll be far easier once they're born if you have people waiting for a pup - And that way you can make sure they are the right homes for your puppies long before they're ready to go.

Also start making a list of emergency numbers (A couple vets incase of a 2am c-section and you cant reach your normal vet, Someone who can drive if you dont have someone with you, you'll need to be there next to momma dog while driving to the vets to help her not driving, anyone you know from your parents breeding who could help out if needed - Those sort of people) and make sure you have more than one copy just incase one gets lost!

Make sure you have all your whelping supplies somewhere very easy to reach, and that momma dog is happy with her whelping box before the big day - and make sure you have lots of bedding/towels/vet bed etc on hand both during whelping and while the puppies are with you - They're messy!!!

Also make sure your bitch is on a very high quality diet, she needs to be as healthy as possible to be sure the puppies are healthy, and talk to the vet about vaccinations, worming etc for mother dog and puppies. Most people recommend worming the bitch about 2 weeks before giving birth, but its always best to double check with the vets just to be sure.

And ignore the woman in the pet store - At least you're willing to ask for help and be prepared for the pups arrival - If she'd rather kill them then she even deserve a second thought!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Looks like a rather large litter to me!! She's about ready to pop as well too how long ago did she go into heat?? If you know the sire and he is registered you can register the pups I assume

Start settling her into a whelping box and night she needs to be away from the others as if they play boisterously they could hurt her!

Do as much research as possible whelping chis can be hard work and they can die if she is pushing for more than a hour you need to get her to a vet immediately

Speak to your vet about worming she will need to be wormed pups also need worming from 2 weeks something like panacur paste should suffice.

You'll need a heating pad as baby chis can't regulate their body heat. If she is having a large litter you'll also need to supplement them with a bottle feed!

Feed her a high quality puppy food and shell need about 1/3 more than normal once the pups are here she should have food at all times whilst she is nursing you cannot over feed a lactating bitch!!

I'm glad you're going to get her spayed and been so honey about your mistake, I'm one of those who can't stand people who don't breed to standard!

Can we see her face please if she's been shown I'm sure she's lovely!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well what's done is done....so go through your diary/calendar and work out what days you were away....then from the first day count 58 days [as in my experience chihuahuas do not always go the 63 days as predicted]...that's when you need to be watching her carefully from....Feed her a well balanced food including puppy foods......You could be in for a long watch here depending on when she mated and how many days she goes BUT don't leave her unsupervised or you could risk her life or the lives of her unborn pups...you made a mistake but it can still come good in the end GOOD LUCK X

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Sorry some one was rude to you, there is really no need for that. Im sure you will find loving homes for all the pups.

I have never been through anything like this, so I dont have any advice but everyone has given great advice already!

good luck! I hope things go smoothly for you, her and the pups xxxxxx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much!! my vet gave me ER vet contacts a few days ago and I've spent the last two weeks watching videos and reading anything I can online!. I've had my sister in law draw up a contract saying the puppies must be fixed at a certain age [she's a lawyer] and I've been a nervous bundle!.

The father is not a Chihuahua, but hopefully the litter will go well as he is a bit bigger. She has a whelping box all sat up and I have all the supplies in a small box near the whelping box. I'm normally a wide awake person all night so I watch her constently and am trying to be very careful.

I stopped letting anyone carry her and I myself carry her up the stairs. She was originally 6 and a half pounds but now I'm sure she is about eight or nine.

She is set to be spayed thankfully and I won't have to worry about anymore litters with out my knowing.

I have attached some pics of her from a year or so ago, she is such a sweet little angel. Thank you for everyone being so nice! that woman in the pet store nearly made me never want to go in public again!.

Also another question is since I'm going to be doing vet reffs and home checks if someone refuses to let me do one of those should I refuse to let them adopt?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's up to you! I personally would but I'm super funny about breeding!! It's good about your spay neuter contract

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! yes I wrote it all up. If they cannot keep the puppy for some reason they have to contact me and we'll work on re-homing. But having them fixed is a must!. I'm very very picky about breeding as well it's why I made orders clear not to let her with the other dogs. But I've learned now not to trust any one to baby sit while I'm out of town. again thanks to everyone who is being so nice! and giving good advice.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I sorry to hear about your accident. Can I ask what breed the father is?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The way I see it, if they arent willing to have a home check, what are they trying to hide? I wouldnt allow anyone to have one of my pups if they wouldnt at least agree to a vetting

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
he is my nieces mini dachshund whom lives with us, he had just turned a year old and he was going to be fixed on the first of nov. So now he's fixed now. She was supposed to be fixed in Feb so I hope she will be able to be!. I know with small breed dogs to keep the pups for 12 weeks instead of 8 or 10. And I know my chi will be a good mom, she had a false pregnancy before and nursed a litter of abandonded kittens which she took amazing care of.

I just hope this all goes well. I'm adding some more pictures I just took a few moments ago!. Thank you all for the advice.

She hasn't gotten a lot of milk in, her teats are a BIT bigger and they feel different opposed ti how they used to when I would rub her tummy but she hasn't leaked any when tested to see if she was. Is this normal? you can feel the puppies moving, like little flutters of movement that press against your hand.

I know in larger breeds that means it's close to time but by the time you feel them in most larger breeds it's hard kicking and bigger movements. She has grown a LOT size wise. She was a lean 6 and a half pounds and the father was a pudgy 12 pounds. But he was a bit over weight at the time [try explaining to a 12 year old not to give her dog to many treats!]. But now he's back to a lean form and only about 9-10 pounds.

He's rather small for a doxie. So far she seems normal asides being extra clingy and hungry ALL the time. She has normal stool and normal everything else. Her whelping box is set up in my room upstairs where no one else is allowed, she shares the room with two cats who think the whelping box is theirs!.

Any advice on after care would be amazing, maybe you have some advice the online websites don't!. Yes yes I have decided if they hesitate in anyway when I ask for a vet reff and a home check the pups will not be going.

I figured the contract would be a good way to make sure they would be in good hands as well.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am glad you are being responsible about this. Many people aren't. That lady in the store who went after you had probably just "had it" with people. I'm not defending her, but it gets so old to preach and preach about responsible breeding or to watch perfectly healthy dogs be killed in shelters because there aren't enough homes. Then when someone says "oh it was an accident" she may have just snapped.

Your girl is looking pretty close to her due date. You can predict when whelping will begin by taking her temperature twice a day, every day, and keeping a chart. When her temp temporarily rises then drops down to 98 or so (normal is 100.5), then birth will begin within a day or so.

Canine Reproduction Video and Book on Breeding and Whelping dogs by Debbie Jensen for dog breeders and Whelping Supplies needed to deliver puppies.

There are many, many whelping guides on the net. Prepare yourself and read as much as you can and watch some births on youtube so you know what to expect. If you have any doubts AT ALL about how things are going - get her to the vet. With the dad being so much larger, the pups may be large and may get stuck in the birth canal, causing the puppy to die and it could be fatal to the mom as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
She's seen the vet already, she said to wait for a C-section till needed as they only do them in Emergency situations. She also gave me numbers of ER vets if she is closed when we need Emergency help. Como[the father] is a very friendly sweet little guy, most of his size is in his chubby little legs. He is super sweet so we know the puppies should have good personalities.

I used to raise cockers with my mom when I was younger and show them so I know mostly what to expect and how to soclialize but my biggest fear is that she might reject the pups some how. So we have called and know the amount of money for a c-section and where to go and what to do.

Oh I know I'm a big beliver in do not breed unless you have all the tests ran and all the info and your showing titles. Which is why she was not bred before.

I'm being very very careful about all of this and thankfully found this forum with other Chi owners who could offer me some advice!. Will her milk come in after delivery? all the dams I had before either bred on purpose or rescued while pregnant had milk before hand.

Oh yes that woman was insane! she also snapped at me because my other dog [a mixed breed I rescued form a puppy mill] was a "designer" dog...she's a mutt. and a not to social mutt. I told her I had rescued her and she jumped all over me. I have only ever bought one dog actually in my life time and it is my female Chihuahua. The other dogs all were rescued some how or came to be at my home.

Should I screen for people on the number of dogs or breeds of dogs they own? I know I have 6 [includiing the chi] and all are smallish breeds but one who is a large breed.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Milk doesn't always come I'm someone once said feeding the 1ml or was it 3mls I can't remember of flat beer every hour for the first couple of days helps milk come in

Make sure you have milk replacer invade she doesn't rake to them plug them in between whelping as it'll keep contractions going and take awyduring

Remember these are gonna be long puppies

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thank you! lol we don't have beer in the home as none of us drink at all. but I have formula stacked up in case I need it!. It was one of the very first things I did was stock up on formula, and paper towels and stuff of that nature.

I'll be sure to post pics as soon as the pups are born. I am a nervous Grandmama to be!.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't mean to double post! but we just checked and she has some fluid in her teats now! and her area is starting to look swollen! some place online said that meant 12-24 hours till the puppies would be coming. Is that factful?

she's just resting on the couch pillow all snuggled up. She hasn't eaten any dog food today yet but when I make lunch I'll try some of the healthier meats and see if she will eat some. She slept all night in the bed with me and then she slept from 7 till 12 in the bed with me as well.

Also I have given her a whelping box, but my fear is she will end up trying to move them to where she normally sleeps which is under the covers between my legs. She's slept there since she was three months old. Has anyone's chi done that?

I have moved her pink fluffy dome bed to on the bed beside the pillow which is where I hope she will sleep with them if needed. She's a very clingy girl. Again hopefully we will see some pups in 12-24 hours if not then we'll keep our fingers crossed. My vets office is closed today.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Has shr had a discharge foam her vulva or loose stools?? Do you have a thermometer you can take her temperature when there is a significant drop they normal come withing 12 hours.

Don't let her in your bed keep her in a whelping box once they are born she won't want to move at all. Om

·
Registered
107 Posts
She's getting ready. Soe bitches go off their food the day before. Watch her close and don't let any of the other dogs bother her. You might have to move the cats if she gets snappy with them after she whelps. Keep the emergency numbers handy, you might call once you see she is restless and feel he stomache getting hard and then relaxing to let them know she is stating labor. Good Luck.
Great idea on the contract and on the homing guidelines if you are not happy about something a perspective owner says follow your gut and don't let the pup go there.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Can I just say that milk sometimes doesn't come in until after puppies are born with first litters, if they have had a litter it can come in from about 10 days before the due date. As she has not had a litter but has raised an orphan kitten and produced milk, she might have it well before her due date.

I firmly belive that a good indication is with the temperatures, it drops down 24 hours before they are due to whelp. To do this you need a base line though so needs to be done twice a day at the same time for about 7 days prior to the due date.

I don't know about dachies but shelties puppies (which are larger than mini dachies) are roughly the same size born as chi's -this surprised me - so don't panic too much about the size differnce.

Keep calm and if in doubt - contact your vet.

One other question - what the hell did this woman shout at you for? An accident is an accident - anyone who has unfixed dogs/bitches can have accidents....that's why they are called accidents!

Good luck with her.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
She likes her whelping box, just at night she prefers my bed. I just had lunch and she hardly licked my hand when I went to pet her and normally she would start licking non stop. She is waggling her whole body happily and being a little friendly. But mostly she is resting!.

I told everyone we most likely have 14-24 or 24-48 hours till the pups. The other dogs are out in the fence playing like they normally do during the day, they come in at night for inside time and bed.

She's normally fine with the cats unless they make her mad, one of the cats hates dogs so she won't get to close to her anyways the other one is as nosie as ever but if he gets snapped at he'll leave her be.

I had a therm on hand..but some how during our move I have misplaced it. and here I was sure I had one on hand!.

edit!--She yelled at me apperently because I was killing my dog by going on vacation and leaving my father in charge. She was pretty rude and the pet store asked her to leave. They know us well as we have our dog food specially ordered there and we feed a high high food.

Thank you so much! I will see if I can get a therm some how, as it's really wintery. and the vet knows I'm going to be calling all the time for questions our vet is VERY sweet and caring.

She's doing good and being as sweet as always, I was wondering what is the best way to heat the whelping box?.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts