Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl had her second heat and her and my little boy tied 6 times that I saw/caught them. I personally think she is pregnant; she's very grumpy, she's getting a little fatter (she's at most 35 days pregnant), and her nipples are still very big. If she is pregnant, she'll be due between Christmas and New Years. I was just wondering a couple things: What necessities I'll need if she is pregnant (i.e. whelping supplies- obviously a whelping box, heating pad for the puppies), and when the vet can tell if there are puppies. I know some experienced vets can palpate the puppies, but I've her different time frames for x-rays. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I read the other day that you should never let your dogs mate more than three times. And usually very close together (like in the morning and then evening of one day and then the morning of the next day.) That if you let dogs mate through the whole heat then the bitch can actually get pregnant each time so that increases your chances or having oversized puppies and very small puppies.

I'd suggest that you make an appt with your vet, get her checked out and he/she can go over all the issues you may have and the items that you would need.

I will be thinking of your dog. I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Wow, yeah six times is a little excessive. Was this an intentional breeding because I see you use the word "caught" like it was an accident. I can understand a male or female getting to each other once but six times, well then obviously they are not being seperated well enough. I hope all works out for you and the female. I would contact the vet if I were you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why would you do that, when you have no idea what you are doing. Its more than just putting two dogs together and hoping for the best. Alot can go wrong, I hope you have a mentor to step in and help. Good Luck to your girl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, first of all I know someone who breeds, and his dogs tied around 10 times. He's been breeding for years, so you can't say that his dogs tying so much is due to inexperience. Secondly, I did seperate them. I put them in 2 seperate rooms, and they chewed through a baby gate. I replaced the plastic in the baby gate with wood, and they chewed through the re-made wood baby gate as well. Also, I had no intention of breeding, so please don't ask 'Why would you do that?' Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While your situation is not ideal, I will tell you what I know about small dogs and puppies. I use to be a veterinarian assistant and saw many ultrasounds, x rays and c-sections. I don't know exactly how many days gestation that you can see puppies on an xray, but, you need to have her xrayed before she goes into labor. You need to know how many, and how big!!! You need to know if she can have them naturally. There is a possibility that their heads may not fit out her little hip bones. It is the responsible thing to do to have her xrayed and checked by the vet ASAP. You need to have a good relationship with the vet, in case you need them in the middle of the night. I am not trying to scare you, I just want you to be prepared for both your sake and your dog's. Call your vet tommorow and please let us know how the vet visit goes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was just wondering. If you had no intensions of breeding, could you not have had them spayed and neutered? This way you would not have had to worry about seperating them. It's also healthier for the dogs in the long run.
I hope you can take your girl to the vet soon. I don't know anything about breeding, but it sounds like it would be a good idea to have a relationship with your vet incase something should go wrong. Let us know how it goes. Rochelle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, spaying and neutering scares the crap out of me. My "second mom" is a vet assist. and she doesn't lecture me on anything, but she does support me and give me her opinion. I have a fantastic relationship with her and a good relationship with my vet (when I call, they don't even ask for my last name, they ask, "are we doin' something for mija or cujo?"). I have every intention of doing this by the textbook as long as I can, getting her x-rays and supplements and whatever else she needs. This to me is like a teen girl getting pregnant. You didn't expect it and there isn't anything you can do about it now except be prepared and supportive. I appreciate all the suggestions!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I wish you all the best. I hope you will keep us posted. I searched the internet and came across this website with a list of items. I hope this helps.

http://www.essortment.com/all/dogspregnancyw_rznj.htm

I'd also suggest in the future if you are against spaying and neutering that you invest in seperate kennels or crates. This will keep your pups apart and you won't have any unplanned pregnancies.

I

·
0 Posts
I was going to give a long answer to this thread, but decided against it.
Personally I find this extremely irresponsible and irritating.

AS suggested if you had no intention of breeding you WOULD have neutered / speyed.
IMHO saying youre scared is complete twaddle and a total cop out.

I am not even going to read this thread again I find it highly aggrivating to be honest.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you had no intensions of spaying, neutering, or breeding, you should have gotten two dogs of the same sex.
This is just plain irresponsible. I'm not adding anything to this thread from here on either. I hope your female will be ok. Rochelle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with the last 2 posts. I just feel like tossing my 2 cents in. ;D

I find this to be irresponsible pet ownership. Saying that it's like finding out your teen just got pregnant and you didn't expect it.. what the heck is that all about? Knowing that you refused to get your pets spayed/neutered because you are "scared"... did you assume that they would behave and not fool around? This is an instinctual behavior of animals and you let it happen regardless if you tried to keep them apart. I hope and pray your Chi remains healthy through out the pregnancy and doesn't run into any complications.

I hope you find as much information and all the help you need.. and I also hope you learn from this experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
honey im scared about spaying and netuering as well, but honestly sweetie IF you are going to have a chi of each sex, you must, must have one or both fixed. This breeding should not have happened, but now that it has the right thing now to do is contact your vet do WHATEVER he/she says to do. Find some links and or ask your vet for info on chi pregnancies and whelping. Just keep a close eye on your girl KEEP her away from your male till one or both are spayed and or netuerd. Make sure she gets the right food and care and spoil and love the crap out of her, she is going to need it. I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to let you know, if she ends up needing a c-section you can have her spayed at the same time, it won't make the surgery any longer.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am sorry this has happened but spaying and neutering can be scary but it can also be much healthier for both male and female dogs in the long run. You also need to be prepared to possibly lose your female due to birth issues also scary if you ask me. If I were you I would definately do some more research on spaying and neutering and decide from that research as well as searching here for past post on spaying and neutering. There are many members here with very small Chis and they have come out of the surgeries fine;-) My Yoshi was 3 lbs when he was neutered and My Chibi is only 2lbs 8oz and he will be neutered very soon. Please rethink this decision. If you speak with your vet I am sure they will reassure you that this is not that scary of a procedure (sp?). To me it would be scarier to allow my female to have puppies as they have just as much of a chance to die giving birth than they do being spayed or neutered;-)

What's done is done and I wish you much luck but please take all this in as a learning experience:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts