Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so some of you may or may not have read my thread explaning about Zoey our Chorkie, so here's the short of it. We took in a chorkie and she had spent a year crate bound. I'm sure she was let out sometimes, but she was crated A LOT. She has also been bounced from home to home in her short life. I don't have a lot of detail about her as the lady she came from was NOT forthcoming.

My concern is this....She is super, super, clingy with me. That is fine, but I'm a bit worried about some possible signs of separation anxiety with her. The biggest problem I'm seeing right now, is when I try to put them in the garage to go out the dog door and do their business. If I don't go with her she cries and cries at the door like she is being killed. I wait until she's quiet before I open the door or go out, but I have to really fast and if I'm not she'll start in with the screaming again.

Any tips on helping her to adjust to the idea that I'm not going anywhere? I don't want this to get worse or become something I end up accidentally reinforcing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If I remember, you've only had her a week, right? It will take time for her to trust that every time you leave, you'll be back. All my new additions were like this except the puppies. Some took longer than others and Reggie, my first chi, and Isis, my newest one, still have major problems with me leaving, though it has gotten much, much better. Sometimes I can't even leave the room long enough to go pee! lol Those two will start with a bark or two, then suddenly they are howling and getting all the other dogs to join in. It's ridiculous. And once they start, it's hard to get them to stop. I have to make sure when I leave the room, I close the dog door or they will run outside and howl. A police technician driving by once heard them and started asking my brother questions about the dogs. *gulp* Don't want a nuisance citation. Tico will continuously bark monotonously until I am back sometimes, too, but not all the time. But, except for those three, all the others have settled down and accept me leaving without batting an eye. Reggie and Isis were strictly outside dogs with little to no socialization and did not know what to do in a house when I got them. And Tico lived in a cage all his life and he's 13 to 15 years old. The rest had somewhat better lives and I think that is why they settled down easier. My problem is that they feed off each other. When Isis was in being spayed, there was much less commotion then when she is here. I know this probably doesn't help much :) Hopefully someone else will come along and give you some good advice. I think her being so young will help her get over her anxiety easier.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Pam, you are right, she's only been home since the 14th. I'm sure you are right and it will take time for her to come to trust that she's fine and I'm not going anywhere. I just want to try to nip it right now if I can. Oh and yes you are also right, she is young. I'm guessing just over a year, but was told 2ish. Maybe but she just seems so puppyish to me...not like she's got her foot firmly planted in adulthood. I guess she could be twoish and is having like the puppyhood she never had??

You have taken in so many lost souls. Bless your heart.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a rescue that came to me very much the same way. It took patience and about two months before I could leave her without causing anxiety. I did the leave for 10 minutes, 15minutes, and worked up from there.

I also found that I have to be firm with her. Not mean, just firm. If she starts whining I " ah ah" at her firmly. I try not to feel sorry for her. (hard) I also worked on a stay command, or go lie down in your bed command.

Even 3 years later I find that if I start to baby her too much ( I love to baby her, she is my baby) she gets clingy. Of my four dogs she loves me the most. I think as a rescue from a bad background she will ever be grateful that she has our family. She has brought so much joy, even though those first few months were hard.

Thank you so much for rescuing your girl!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have to be careful to not feel bad for her. I mean there is no reason what-so-ever to feel bad for her at this point and I try to keep that in mind.

Lucy (our oldest chi mix) was a rescue and took sooo long to get over her major issues, but it's been many many years since I dealt with it.

I totally agree that rescues are somehow different. They know what you are doing for them somehow and never forget where they came from. That's what I believe anyway.

I've been working on some basic commands with Zoe Zoe and she's doing really well. She learned stay very quickly and very easily. She's so smart. It's plain to see. Just needs some direction and is so wantnign to please. She was a horrible door dasher too, but we are coming along on that one as well. That scares the heck out of me!!! That's why I started with stay right away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Separation anxiety can be pretty bad. Our Chi (Harley) has to be crated always when we leave the house. He just thinks we are never coming back and throws stuff everywhere and tears things up and makes a lot of howling and crying noises. We tried keeping him in one room or a small area but that just didn't work. When he is crated he does a bit better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts