Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupidly enough I joined a raw feeding group on facebook more to snoop than anything as I love tips although they all seem to be big dogs :roll:

Anyway they're discussing who feeds prey model and who feeds franken prey (which btw I laughed at lol) anyway I'm wondering do we actually feed franken prey??

For those that don't know it's feeding diff parts of diff animals to make up one whole!!! If we had big dogs I'm sure a lot of us would feed prey model 100% of the time (whole prey) but having dogs who eat 2-3oz per meal you can't do that and offer variety so I'm starting to think I feed frankenprey or am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
IMO Prey Model/Frankenprey is just that as you are 'modeling' their diet after the prey they would eat in the wild. So Model is making up their meals. Whole Prey would be feeding the entire meal fur, skin etc. That is what I have read on most of the websites I've seen as well.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think they are the same.

Prey model = modeling the whole prey. What the dogs would eat if they were eating a lamb, chicken, rabbit, etc. Which would be where the 80/10/5/5 comes from.

Whole prey = the actual eating of the entire prey animal such as a quail or young rabbit, mice, etc. Includes fur, head, feet, etc.

Frankenprey = kind of like frankenstein - a model of feeding that would look like: rabbit ear, bone-in cornish hen breast, sliver of beef liver and kidney in a single meal. Parts of different animals combined.

I don't think there's much difference between prey model and frankenprey. Just two different ways of saying the same thing. When I first heard Frankenprey I didn't get it at all! Then someone explained it to me as putting together parts of different animals, like frankenstein, and then it made sense.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't know...is there really a difference? LOL Seems like a different name for basically the same thing just because we're adding variety. "Prey model" is an example in itself. Unless we're out feeding whole carcass at every meal I guess technically we're doing it "wrong". LOL

I often thing though--if our Chi's were out in the wild would they *really* be eating cows, pigs, sheep, deer, etc? I don't think so! Chances are they'd be eating mice, moles, insects, birds, fish, baby animals, eggs & other SMALL prey. But would it be better to feed them that stuff? I don't know.

I think there is such thing as going "too far" when it comes to feeding raw. Unless you set your dogs free every night to fend for themselves as far as food goes...as long as we feed the basic 80-10-10 ratio is just as good...well, probably better. LOL

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol Heather you're too funny

I'd never heard of franken prey I did think Frankenstein I suppose it depends how the individual interpretates it really!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts