Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so does the price of a puppy reflect in the quality? we have 1 chi we paid £350 for and now ive seen another i want to buy and she is £600. how much did you pay for yours. thankyou for advice.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A good dog is priceless. Simcha was rescued from Hilton Head Humane. Our official adoption fee was only $100. That does not count a few hundred for equipment and accessories, a couple of hundred for vet bills. Add $75 for DNA testing which showed only Chihuahua in his ancestry. And, oh yes, that does not count the fact that our enclosed sun porch (not to brag, but we laid out about $20K for that conversion a few years ago) has been surrendered to our little guy as his official 'cage'. And he gets distressed as all get out when, every so often, my wife and her friends rearrange things to play Mah Jongg in there for a few hours.

At least his food is cheap. Every morning and evening he gets half a cup of Nutro Small Breed Adult, with the contents of an Omega 3 capsule added, or as we refer to it: "Doggy Food with Fish Sauce." He's incredibly happy with this wonderful treat and the great, lovable people who serve it to him. Happiness - that's what it's all about. Money - who cares?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Not necessarily. Dependent on country, availability, quality, regisration and the breeder.

I know some here paid for a mix or for a puppy off craigslist what I paid for my registered, purebred dogs so it is variable.

I often see people say that their dog could have papers but they did not pay extra for them. I'd run from a breeder of that sort. The litter is either registered or it is not. I would expect to pay much more for a full registration dog that was show or breeding quality versus mine which are registered, pet quality, with limited registration (I could not register a litter with AKC if I irresponsibly chose to breed them).

That said, each of my girls is AKC registered, purebred and I paid about $500 US/308.3£ each. I know I got a deal on my girls. Moving forward I know I would need to pay up to $800 US/493.28£ for a high quality, registered, purebred Chi. That is in my area, which is the Midwest/central US.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
For a champion bloodline, registered Chi, you would pay starting at $2000 for a male and $2300 for a female here in Sweden. I've seen some females over $2700. Gemma was $1500 without papers, which is fairly standard for unregistered shorthair females here. I've seen some cheaper, but they are not that good looking and come from parents that look questionably full Chi. Unregistered puppies like Gemma go as cheap as $300 in the US, so it's mostly about where you're located. My advice would be not to focus on price to determine quality, but really learn about the breeder they are coming find out what they do to make sure they are breeding healthy litters.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I paid $700 for Leo 6 month ago, that's the most I have ever spent. But I did a lot of research and then followed up with previous customers, current vets, ect. Also, Leo has champion bloodlines on both sides and his dad is a show dog. I don't think that a high price tag necessarily means its going to be a well bred puppy, you still have to do your research. When I was puppy hunting, I saw puppies who were $1500 with no champion bloodlines, just overpriced pet quality pups.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tiny was a rescue, i paid $75. Penny was originally $1000 but got her at half priced cuz she was 20 weeks, had a underbite, she has champion bloodline but was born non-show quality. She is not registered but i love them both to death!. I live in the centrall valley of california and all the breeders websites that i have bookmarked are a couple hrs away. I see that they sell thier pups from $500-$2000 depending if its being sold as a pet or is a show quality chi. They are all limited registered. Now as for craigslist (which i dnt recommend) or ebayclassified which i see some breeders posting ads very few times and i see shelters posting thier adoptables, i still kind of not recommend it, prices vary from free to the most $1000. I dnt recommend these sites because u may be setting yourself up for disappointment or a heartache. These little tiny breeds imo costs a LOT! :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
509 Posts
need to get chis in america by the sounds of it!
noah was £450 unregistered from a back yard breeder, normally her litters are £650, still not entirely sure why he was cheaper, hopefully nothing bad :confused:
I thought UK was expensive but Sweden sounds insane !!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yes, and in the US many "breeders" register the dog with non-credible registries.

AKC is the only credible registry in the US.

Many here tout "with papers" but they are ACA, Continental Kennel Club and APRI registered. No criteria for registry. ANYTHING can be registered. Those papers are worth no more than my newspaper yet these GREEDERS will charge more for their registered dog and unscrupulous buyers will fall for it.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Lady is an AKC registered pup. I got her as an adult. I did get her actual registration certificate and was able to look her registration up. She had just had a dental and was just spayed before I got her. I paid $500 which I thought was a little high for an adult but I guess with the dental and spay included the price was probably justified. She is grand champion sired. The breeders puppies (females) go for 1200 and up. I definitely fell in love with her before asking the price......she has turned out to be worth every penny, she is such a delightful and well mannered little dog.

·
Registered
382 Posts
High price =/= quality!
It all depends on the breeder. Really, there are some crap breeders out there that charge an arm and a leg for a puppy.

To me, a quality breeder is one that:

Shows and has AKC titles. And I don't mean having one champion 5 generations back. Honestly, anyone can say they have a well built dog, but I think show titles PROVE they have a structurally correct Chi.

Health tests. You want a dog who will be healthy and happy for many years. The two dogs being bred should be clear of diseases that could be passed on. AKC recommends: OFA Cardiac, OFA Patella and CERF eye testing for Chis. You want your dog to have many happy and healthy years, not being crippled by LP at age 2. Keep in mind, 2 completely health tested parents can still produce problem puppies, but your chances will be much lower.

Doesn't make a living off the dogs. From what I've heard, good breeders rarely break even. When you have people that are in it for the money, it seems like quality of the dogs and socialization take a backseat. Puppy raising is very time consuming and expensive when done right. It's very hard to do it right when you have 5 or 6 litters on the ground at once.

·
Registered
240 Posts
need to get chis in america by the sounds of it!
noah was £450 unregistered from a back yard breeder, normally her litters are £650, still not entirely sure why he was cheaper, hopefully nothing bad :confused:
I thought UK was expensive but Sweden sounds insane !!!
Heartagram I LOVE your siggy!!

In response to OP I don't think price reflects quality all the time especially with chihuahuas in the UK (can't speak for other countries) I think prices are getting out of hand now. I came across a website selling pups for thousands and thousands of pounds as they are so called 'micro teacups' and 'teacups' and people where buying them. These pups looked cute but weren't registered and they lied saying "micro teacups are 1-3lbs fully grown tecups 3-4.5lbs fully grown" and average size was 6-8lbs now I would have trusted them more if A) they would have put BREED STANDARD for each breed they sell and B) each pup was registered - no one seems to put in FAQ's how breeding for such tiny size can be bad for health. They even said they breed from small bitches. Which I know is a red flag.

I paid a very small price for Zeus and Isis but they are excellent quality pets and when we went to PupAid a lot of fuss was made of them over the tiny/micro/pocket chi's that were probably 10times as costly - better tempraments and overall structure too!!

I think BYB and Puppy Farmers have cottoned on to the fact that the chihuahua/chi mix 'fashion' is if anything increasing and therefore the overall market price is remaining high.

I think £250 - £850 are fair prices (lower end for pet quality/non-registered puppies) which show breeders may disagree with but I stand firm as I now know that being 'show quality' doesn't mean health/strength will be sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts