Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else do this? :coolwink:

Jazz is going to the Vet tomorrow for her shots. When either of my dogs needs to see the Vet I make sure they're freshly bathed, nails are clipped, teeth are brushed, and they and all their "stuff" is in good order before I take them.

Understand, it's NOT like they go months without a bath or getting their nails done. I'm completely OCD/anal about them on a routine basis. I grind their nails every couple of weeks, they get bathed regularly, bedding gets washed every two weeks so they never smell, teeth are taken care of routinely....in other words, they general care and upkeep isn't ever lacking. But still, when it's Vet time, I want them to absolutely put their best foot forward. :D

I was laughing at myself last night as I was grinding Jazz's nails, when I realized I'd done them just the week before and this was more a touch up than anything else. That, and I was thinking "well, I'll have just enough time to give her a bath before I go out tomorrow night, then she'll be fresh for her appointment Saturday morning."

What is wrong with me? :confused: ;)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
No i think that is good.
I like mine to be fresh for the vets too.
Dillon especially having a fluffy bum, i wouldnt want any bad stuff there incase the vet has to touch. lol
I am always checking that is sorted and fresh. haha!

·
Registered
383 Posts
What is wrong with me?
Not a darned thing! What's wrong with smelling nice and looking good!:headbang::daisy:

I like my girls to put their best paw forward to. I don't always bath them just before a vet visit but that's only if I think they already smell nice and look clean.

I'd be kind of embarrassed if I let their baths go a little to long and take them somewhere with that tell tale doggie smell.:shock:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Laughing at myself here! :lol:

Just spent 10 minutes going through Jazz's clothes, deciding which sweater, what harness, which leash. So everything's matchy-matchy for her Vet visit this morning. :dance:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from the Vet. This wasn't a full exam, just shots and weigh in. Jazz has lost weight! I took her in 3 months ago, when Tango had to go in for something. Then she was 4 lbs 1 oz. Now she's 3 lbs 13 ozs. She wasn't overweight before, and she's not underweight now. They said that as dogs are maturing (she's 15 months old) their weight can fluctuate, and as long as she's eating well and acting normally (she is) there's nothing to worry about. She has to go in early next year for a whole bunch of stuff (heartworm test, fecal, mini blood panel, dental) and of course they'll weigh her again then. If she's continuing to lose weight at that point, there is cause for some concern. I'd up her mini blood panel to a full panel and put off the dental till we can determine what's wrong. But honestly, I don't think there's an issue. It just took me a bit by surprise because neither Tango nor Jazz has ever lost weight at any visit, so it's a bit outside my experience. I've read enough here though to know that many of your dogs have had minor weight fluctuations that were a non-issue.

Other than that, she was the favorite of the clinic again, folks playing with her and fawning over her. And she got at LEAST a meal's worth of treats from all the different techs and other personnel lol! I don't think she gets that many treats in an entire week, normally!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm the same way. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about her weight loss. You can just monitor at home to make sure it's not continuing to go down. Is her visit always in the morning? Everyone is always lighting in the morning before filling up on food/water as well. :) I'm sure if she started to get way skinny you'd notice anyhow. I'm sure all is well.... And yes we've noticed a few oz on/off our pups & they've never had any problems. I weigh them a lot at home & see it quite frequently especially if I weigh at different times through out the day.

Glad everything else was a-ok!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm the same way. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about her weight loss. You can just monitor at home to make sure it's not continuing to go down. Is her visit always in the morning? Everyone is always lighting in the morning before filling up on food/water as well. :) I'm sure if she started to get way skinny you'd notice anyhow. I'm sure all is well.... And yes we've noticed a few oz on/off our pups & they've never had any problems. I weigh them a lot at home & see it quite frequently especially if I weigh at different times through out the day.

Glad everything else was a-ok!
Thanks for this Heather. With as many dogs as you have, you certainly have a range of experience to draw from ;)

She saw the Vet last time in the a.m. too. I tend to schedule my appointments for a Saturday morning, I typically just don't have time during the work week. The exception is if they're having surgery, then I schedule for a day when I know I will, or can be, home all that night, and am able to take them into work with me the next day too, just for additional observation.

I'm a Nazi about their weight, so you're right, I'd notice, even without an official weigh-in, if she lost much more. Because they're both at pretty ideal weights, with no extra padding, it would be easy to feel if they started getting too bony, even if I didn't really SEE anything different. I run my hands over them constantly, play with their feet, stick my fingers in their ears and mouths, palpate their tummies, move their joints, all to keep them relaxed about being handled. So I'm very familar with how their little bodies feel under my hands.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! I have to add this because I'm really proud of Jazz. When they put the dogs on the little scale, sometimes we have to wait a minute for them to settle down to get an accurate weight. Jazz has been hard to train....she's SO much more hyper than Tango....so I've been training the "wait" command to get her to settle, to make other things easier.

So when the tech plopped her on the scale and she started to do her hyper thing (she doesn't try to jump off or anything, just wants to sniff and prance) I told her "Wait!" and gave her the hand cue. INSTANTLY she made eye contact with me and froze, giving the tech the opportunity to record an accurate weight. She said "Wow, I wish all the dogs I see could do that! Makes my job much easier!"

I, of course, was RIDICULOUSLY proud! :love1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts