Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 7 month old toy chihuahua name Papi Chulo...well, he's really my wife's dog. He still does not lift his leg. He will squat to pee and do alright for a second, and then he begins to arch his back resulting in the pee hitting his chest and just rolling off of him. It really is disgusting. After every time he pees we have to wipe him off. He's a really cute guy. Other than still being a chewing machine, he's well mannered...I just wish he would lift his leg! Any suggestions or is this just a natural progression that may never happen?

·
Registered
321 Posts
It sounds like he is in the stage between squating and hiking. He is probably still confused :? I would think he just needs more time to learn.
My advise is be patient or try those wraps they make for males it goes around there waist area( keeps them from peeing ) there is a thread somewhere about them. :wink: hope he learns soon :D

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
hehe sounds quite funny :roll: sorry :wink: he's a real cute guy !!

porsha's momma might be right maybe he's a bit confused what to do . maybe when you see hime taking a pee you can correct his attitude by pressing a bit on his back??

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My 8mnth guy still pees on himself and he lifts his leg :!: . It has got better though I think with this one you willjust have to be patience and practice.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
my jacob does it stil and he is 9 months pees all up his belly than runs to me crying as if to say oh what have i done help me then i have to clean him up nice! the fun bit of having pets ha lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hiking to pee is not always an inate behaviour in male dogs. It tends to be more secure dominant males who hike first to mimick marking their territory. We have 3 males dogs, one of which hiked from the beginning on his own at about 8-9 months of age, the other 2 have learned by imitating the first. We once owned a female bulldog who was always exposed to male dogs and also hiked her leg when she pee'd :shock: My suggestion would be to expose him to other male dogs, its good for his socialization anyhow. He's more likely to copy the behaviour this way, if not some male dogs will never hike. Good luck, he's a real cutie pie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. My wife has tried pushing his behind down and I've even tried lifting his leg mid-pee, but he really does not like that. I'll have to try and find someone with a male dog so they can socialize. Only other dog he really plays with is my sister-in-laws FEMALE chihuahua, so I know that doesn't help. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I've never been a small dog fan until this little guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts