Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted Joey who spent the first 5 yrs. of his life in a puppy mill, he is 8 yrs. old.

During the day when he has to be in his crate, maybe a couple of hours at the most, he barks, cries, pulls the sheet that covers his crate into the crate & chews on the crate wire.

I've tried leaving the TV on & covering the crate so its more calming.

He sleeps in this crate at night with no problems.

I want him to get used to staying in a crate & not loose in the house when no one is home.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bless you for rescuing a puppy mill survivor! :) For our toy poodle's separation anxiety, I used one of those Comfort Zone plug-ins and it did help alot. It's available at pet stores, but I got ours from the Drs. Foster Smith website, because it was cheaper. To save money on refills/make it last longer, I would only plug it in near his "cubby" (what we call his carrier/crate) when we had to leave the house. I also left a white noise machine on and turned the lights down low. What eventually helped Squirt the most though, was adopting him a buddy. After we rescued our yorkie-poo Rascal (from a local shelter), Squirt's separation issues lessened dramatically. Bless your little Joey's heart. After living in the puppy mill setting, it's no wonder he has separation anxiety. :( Again, kudos to you for rescuing him. This world needs more people like you, willing to adopt an older dog with a difficult past.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I like the puppy playpen method. He can see out. He can have a stuffed kong (with cheese, canned dog food, yogurt etc) inside. He gets this kong ONLY when you leave him. Don't daly around, just say "I'll be back", give him the kong and leave. The kong should last him awhile. Have a couple of toys available---chew ones are good. The calming pheramones are good too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bless you for rescuing a puppy mill survivor! :) For our toy poodle's separation anxiety, I used one of those Comfort Zone plug-ins and it did help alot. It's available at pet stores, but I got ours from the Drs. Foster Smith website, because it was cheaper. To save money on refills/make it last longer, I would only plug it in near his "cubby" (what we call his carrier/crate) when we had to leave the house. I also left a white noise machine on and turned the lights down low. What eventually helped Squirt the most though, was adopting him a buddy. After we rescued our yorkie-poo Rascal (from a local shelter), Squirt's separation issues lessened dramatically. Bless your little Joey's heart. After living in the puppy mill setting, it's no wonder he has separation anxiety. :( Again, kudos to you for rescuing him. This world needs more people like you, willing to adopt an older dog with a difficult past.
Joey does have his little brother Monkey, from another mother & father, but a couple of times we've had to separate them.
I'll check out the comfort zone plug in.

Thanks for the suggestion.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the puppy playpen method. He can see out. He can have a stuffed kong (with cheese, canned dog food, yogurt etc) inside. He gets this kong ONLY when you leave him. Don't daly around, just say "I'll be back", give him the kong and leave. The kong should last him awhile. Have a couple of toys available---chew ones are good. The calming pheramones are good too.
I've tried leaving his favorite jerky in with him & he won't even look at it. (He's on a raw meat diet so doesn't get any other foods.)
After putting him in his crate we leave immediately & can hear him crying before the door even shuts.:(
Joey doesn't play with toys & doesn't chew on them either, he tends to shy away from most things, I think he was also abused when he lived at the puppy mill.

Thank you for the suggestions.:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with the playpen idea. When we first got Titus we would leave the radio on low with soothing music and I feel like that helped a lot. But I have also had a dog with horrible separation anxiety and the only thing that helped her was being with other dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts