Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am getting so frustrated with Libby. I have no clue what to do because I have never ever dealt with this with Bella.

1. Libby is getting very aggressive when it comes to biting. She has bitten me a few times, as well as my boyfriend. When Bella was a puppy, I would always do things like play with her ears and tail, as well as look at her teeth. She was always fine with it. I guess my thinking on it is that when you take them to the vet, they do thing like this and the last thing I want if for my dog to be aggressive around the vet or others. SO, I "try" to do this with Libby. She had something in her mouth tonight and I went to open her mouth slowly and she straight up bit me. I have heard from several people to lay her on her side to calm her down. This seemed to make it so much worse. I told my boyfriend to take her upstairs to her playpen and while he was taking her up, he was holding her facing him and talking to her and she bit him on the nose. He put her upstairs and when he came down, he was bleeding. Let's just say, I DO NOT TOLERATE that from a dog. I am furious. I know she is a puppy, but if this doesn't get straitened out, I don't know what to do. I was suprised my boyfriend wasn't ticked off, but he simply said, "We'll work on it. She'll get better." I just started bawling because I can't believe she would do that. What do I do now? What can help her to stop this?!

2. I also want my dogs to be okay with me taking away their bully sticks or treats, as well as be able to freely put my hand in their food bowls, etc. I can do this with Bella, but Libby, once again gets very aggressive and starts to bite. Its not a nip, she bites very hard.

3. As I have asked before, she is strggling with potty training. She will have an accident on the floor and I will hurry up and pick her up and place her on the wee pad and say, "Go potty." She runs away.

Ughhh, I am so stressed with her. I feel like with her being pretty much 15 weeks that she should be close to potty trained and not this aggressive. She is getting worse and worse. Please give me advice as I am getting so upset with her.

Thanks all!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think Libby really has a more dominant personality. She wants to be alpha. She can't believe when you do something that suggests you're boss. Taking away her treats or bully sticks does that.

As far as the biting goes, unfortunately, she is teething. Some dogs do that much more than others. Taylor, my mom's puppy, bites like a freaking banshee, whereas I don't think I've ever once felt Trigger's teeth on my skin. But with consistency, she will get better. Decide on how you will correct her and do that. Every time. Don't let your frustration show through, she is too young to understand. Take away some of her freedom. Take away her bully sticks every 2 minutes. ALWAYS eat something, anything, before you feed her, and make sure she watches.

I know the frustration you're feeling. Trigger is not like Oakley, who IMO is the perfect little dog 90% of the time...well behaved, sweet, obedient, smart, ready to learn. Trigger is Trigger. A little slower, more ready to snuggle, but not so ready to learn, and really, really pushy when it comes to food.

Each pup presents its own challenges. Libby's biting...is hard to deal with. Some dogs really have an "oral" fixation, nipping and biting and sucking etc. and its very hard for them to control. Every *SINGLE* time she puts her little teeth on you, you've gotta yelp or say "NO!" and put her away from you and ignore her for several minutes...

I wish I had more "real" advice, I guess so far I've been lucky in the biting department, and any time a dog of mine has show food related aggression, not only do they lose their chewy, it gets given to another dog...LOL. They really *HATE* that. I also frequently "swap" chewies amongst all the dogs, that way they learn to not be so wicked over it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Gosh, I'm so sorry your having troubles with Libby, these little buggers give us a real run for our money at times.
I'm pretty suprised she is biting you both actually, my feelings are that she is just not respecting either of you at this point.

I'm going to PM you with some of my ideas, I dealt with something similar but not quite as bad as what you have posted. I'm sure it can be dealt with :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Libby really has a more dominant personality. She wants to be alpha. She can't believe when you do something that suggests you're boss. Taking away her treats or bully sticks does that.

As far as the biting goes, unfortunately, she is teething. Some dogs do that much more than others. Taylor, my mom's puppy, bites like a freaking banshee, whereas I don't think I've ever once felt Trigger's teeth on my skin. But with consistency, she will get better. Decide on how you will correct her and do that. Every time. Don't let your frustration show through, she is too young to understand. Take away some of her freedom. Take away her bully sticks every 2 minutes. ALWAYS eat something, anything, before you feed her, and make sure she watches.

I know the frustration you're feeling. Trigger is not like Oakley, who IMO is the perfect little dog 90% of the time...well behaved, sweet, obedient, smart, ready to learn. Trigger is Trigger. A little slower, more ready to snuggle, but not so ready to learn, and really, really pushy when it comes to food.

Each pup presents its own challenges. Libby's biting...is hard to deal with. Some dogs really have an "oral" fixation, nipping and biting and sucking etc. and its very hard for them to control. Every *SINGLE* time she puts her little teeth on you, you've gotta yelp or say "NO!" and put her away from you and ignore her for several minutes...

I wish I had more "real" advice, I guess so far I've been lucky in the biting department, and any time a dog of mine has show food related aggression, not only do they lose their chewy, it gets given to another dog...LOL. They really *HATE* that. I also frequently "swap" chewies amongst all the dogs, that way they learn to not be so wicked over it.
I really appreciate your advice. It is just really upsetting me because it has just been recently that she has started doing this. It just kind of shocked me when it happened and I didn't know what to do so I started crying..Haha..Kind of that feeling where someone let you down I guess. That's how I felt when she did that to my boyfriend..Oh boy. I just need to calm down and come up with a plan for her and stay consistent.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh, I'm so sorry your having troubles with Libby, these little buggers give us a real run for our money at times.
I'm pretty suprised she is biting you both actually, my feelings are that she is just not respecting either of you at this point.

I'm going to PM you with some of my ideas, I dealt with something similar but not quite as bad as what you have posted. I'm sure it can be dealt with :)
I'd really like that! Thanks so much!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Does anyone have any methods that may work for this??

I have tried putting her on her side and that seemed to make it worse.

Is a squirt bottle a bad idea? What all could I try?
A squirt bottle is *not* a bad idea as long as you squirt yourself pretty firmly with it first and make sure it's not super harsh. Sometimes chis are more stubborn.

My dad has had good luck with Taylor by being almost scarily firm with him regarding the biting. A spray bottle isn't going to hurt Libby, it's going to shock her, and punish her but without directly connecting the punishment with you (e.g. if you were to flick her).

I know you know this but she's still just a baby. There were a few days with Trigger where I wanted to cry he was being sooooo bad with his pottying. That was when I would just completely put him away from me in his crate in another room and not pay him any attention until I'd cooled off :-/

She *will* get better, like your boyfriend said. I promise. She's a little baby and she just doesn't know, and she knows she wants to be boss.

With mine, I have always tucked their heads under my chin several times a day. They don't *like* this, but it tells them, hey, I'm boss. Trigger got pretty mad a few times but my mom's puppy Taylor actually bit me on the cheek when I tried it, I'm guessing you might get a similar response from Libby...but IDK.

I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, google how to be the pack leader and start fresh, with both your girls.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
.... 3. As I have asked before, she is strggling
with potty training. She will have an accident on the floor and I will hurry up
and pick her up and place her on the wee pad and say, "Go potty." She runs
away.

Ughhh, I am so stressed with her. I feel like with her being pretty much 15
weeks that she should be close to potty trained and not this aggressive. She
is getting worse and worse. Please give me advice as I am getting so upset
with her.

Thanks all!
about the potty training... I believe in the "catch them doing it right" method :)
so, when my dogs go potty where I want them to, I praise them and celebrate.
when they make mistakes, I ignore. if you are running towards her when she
starts to go in the wrong place, she will learn to run and hide from you when
she needs to potty. Positive Reinforcement goes much farther, and faster,
than corrections.

As for bully sticks and such... They are high valued treats. I would put away
anything like that since she is having power struggles with you. Please remember
to check in on NILIF at http://www.k9deb.com/

I hope things improve very soon. Be patient and kind. Please do not roll her
on her side or spray her with the squirt bottle. NILIF offers other positive
measures to get this puppy stage under control. Please keep us posted--
we love you guys and hate to see you struggling with this stuff right now :(

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A squirt bottle is *not* a bad idea as long as you squirt yourself pretty firmly with it first and make sure it's not super harsh. Sometimes chis are more stubborn.

My dad has had good luck with Taylor by being almost scarily firm with him regarding the biting. A spray bottle isn't going to hurt Libby, it's going to shock her, and punish her but without directly connecting the punishment with you (e.g. if you were to flick her).

I know you know this but she's still just a baby. There were a few days with Trigger where I wanted to cry he was being sooooo bad with his pottying. That was when I would just completely put him away from me in his crate in another room and not pay him any attention until I'd cooled off :-/

She *will* get better, like your boyfriend said. I promise. She's a little baby and she just doesn't know, and she knows she wants to be boss.

With mine, I have always tucked their heads under my chin several times a day. They don't *like* this, but it tells them, hey, I'm boss. Trigger got pretty mad a few times but my mom's puppy Taylor actually bit me on the cheek when I tried it, I'm guessing you might get a similar response from Libby...but IDK.

I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, google how to be the pack leader and start fresh, with both your girls.
Okay, thanks so much! It's just frustrating because Bella is NOTHING like that. She listens and has never nipped at me or anyone else. Libby is even getting kind of aggressive with Bella. I know she is still young and a puppy requires work, I just need to do what you say and put her elsewhere when I am really mad.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
about the potty training... I believe in the "catch them doing it right" method :)
than corrections.

anything like that since she is having power struggles with you. Please remember

I was going to say something similar to this. The above link is a good one. I follow the positive reinforcement method as well. I'm a fan of Pat Miller's dog training techniques and books. The Power of Positive Dog Training is a good one. I'm sorry you're going through this with Libby, hon. I hope things get better for you soon.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
than corrections.

Awwww:) Thanks! It is just so hard because I have read threads on here about things like this, but this is the first I have ever really had to deal with it and it happened all in the last couple days. I do think that positive reinforcement is a powerful tool. I am majoring in Early Childhood Education and hoping to be a kindergarten teacher, so we discuss positive reinforcement alot:) Haha..I try to praise her as much as I can, but I admit, I have caught her in the act of doing an oopsie and she does run! I'll need to stop and think before I do it again because so far, that isn't helping me at all.

Thanks for you advice:):)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Does anyone have any methods that may work for this??

I have tried putting her on her side and that seemed to make it worse.
how long did you do it for ? if you let her up before she stopped you let her win .
this worked very well with my brothers chi x we couldn't even pick her up without her trying to bite us , we would pin her to the ground until she stopped growling and became submissive , she is now 9mths old and doesn't have a nasty bone in her body .

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh hun sorry you're going through this. I agree though it does sound like she wants to be Alpha.. Daisy is quite dominent until some massive dog comes towards her.. Anway there are loads of things you can do but jut remember it may not work. Daisy was a nipper and it did my head in i posted on here and everyone gave me loads of ideas and nothing worked so i had to keep trying til i found something that stopped her mid flow and corrected her. What worked for me was giving her a sharp poke to the side of her neck, body, or leg it shocked her so much she stopped.. If she carried on then i use to pin her on her side.. you normally get a struggle because its a submissive position and dogs don't like being put in a submissive position you can also get them trying to bite you whilst there there so you have to pin them by the body and the neck so they can' tget to you.. eventually after a few minutes they give up and submit to you.. but i tend to wait a few minutes until Daisy is totally chilled and laying there on her own before i release her to get up.

I totally agree with NILIF also.. Daisy works for everything.. she doesn't get fed until she's done a trick (sit, down etc) and looked at me rather than fixating on the food (we have a massive problem with her fixation and possessiveness over her food which i'm working on) or after we've had a walk. I tend to take a random bite of something even if its just a piece of cucumber but i stare at her whilst im putting it in my mouth so she knows exactly what i'm doing. Then she gets hers!! I'd also probably feed Bella before her as she's getting dominant with Bella that will help show Libby that Bella is higher up in the pack than her.

Positive reinforcement is great.. its a fantastic tool especially with training dogs etc BUT imo (and this is just my opinion) like with kids they still need to be told their in the wrong. Dogs don't understand human language straight away we have to show them what we mean (which is why when you teach a dog to sit you don't just say sit and it sits.. you have to lure it into the position before you say sit so it associates bum on floor = sit) which is why i think corrections used along side positive reinforcement work better (well they did for me like i said its just my opinion).

If you take all her favourite treats away from her it could kill two birds with one stone.. when she pee's in the right place give her a little bit of her favourite treat so she associates the yummys with peeing on the pad.

Oh with food and stuff when you put her bowl down make her sit and keep your hand IN THE BOWL i know its rank but it works as they have to eat around your hand which not only slows them down but conditions them that its okay to have your hand there.. i then went to holding the bowl.. Now i can only do this when she's eating something ground as she's raw fed but should be easier for you.. If you ever give her anything larger (like today Daisy had a poussin leg part for breakfast) i hold onto it and make her chew it whilst i'm holding.

You're not alone with being upset by it all.. i get stressed out although i try not to with Daisy and her food.. she is so food orientated it does my head in.. i still try to hold her food or take it for a couple of seconds every time she eats but half the time she does a runner with it and trys to eat quicker... but i dont give up because then she's won (and as her pack leader i should always get my own way ;) ) and no matter how long it takes i will get her food back even if it takes me 5 minutes and its only for a few seconds until she chills and wiats for it again!!

Don't stress though be happy. Whatever you decide makesure you and the bf stick to the same rules

xx

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree totally with Sarah! Every dog is different & it may take a while for you to find a method that works with Libby. I've never dealt with an aggressive puppy but Maya has given me a little run for my patience. It is ok - I was expecting to "exercise" all I've learned from reading on dog behavior & from watching the Dog Whisperer (HUGE fan of Cesar here...). For us...if Maya growls & I give a simple "poke" in the neck it only escalates so with her I have to carefully put her on her back & just say "HEEEY knock it off" & within a second or two it's like a light bulb goes off in her head & she totally submits. Now sometimes just the verbal command snaps her out of it so we try that first & if it doesn't work I do put her on her back. I know this is a method some people dislike...but it works for us.

The BIGGIE though is going into correction with the right mind set. Being calm yet assertive will help loads. If you go to correct her with hesitant & fearful body language & are emotional at all it could only make her behavior worse. Bringing up our Maya situation again - since Maya had never been around kids from the time she left the breeder to the time we got her she was quite nasty with my daughters for the first week. My older daughter became afraid of her & it totally showed in any contact she tried to accomplish. In turn, Maya would go after her hand every time. The second my daughter went in with a confident hand & reprimanded Maya for growling & jumping at her (by pointing, walking toward her & saying "YOU BE NICE") Maya backed right off & has shown respect since. It just shows how the right energy can help a situation & the wrong energy can make it worse.

It can be very frustrating and can down right hurt our feelings as humans since we love & care for our babies as though they are....babies. But we have to remember they are dogs. They live for the moment & they live for today. What they did & how they reacted to certain things yesterday, they don't remember...unless we give them the same body language, insecurity, etc - then they remember what to do when they are aproached with that kind of energy. If you approach with a different energy - it will be new & she should react differently.

As I like to say, you have to approach with a no nonscence kind of attitude. Know it will go well & it will go your way - believe it! In order to see a change for the better, every "aggressive" episode is going to have to end on your terms & how you want it to. Not with her pulling an aggressive behavior & then getting put immediately into a crate or for a "time out". Every time it ends on your terms & how you want it - the closer you will become to her realizing you won't tolerate the behavior so she'll give it up all together.

Saying all that - I also think the nothing in life is free tactic is great for ANY dog. But I agree with Sarah again that they're going to need to be told what behaviors won't be tolerated. I hope you're able to find something that works for Libby soon. Just take a deep breath & think of it as a new day & think of every "episode" as a new learning opportunity for Libby. Because if she doesn't have them you won't have the chance to work with her on the behavior. So in a weird sort of way it can become a positive thing. Just keep your emotions in check as hard as it is...and go in each situation calmly, possitively & while being assertive. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Bless your heart. I know you must be frustrated. I can not give any better or different advice then the previous posts. Just wanted you to know we are here and thinking about you. Quigley sends puppy pats to his Bella Luna....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i too agree with sarah, tulula was quite nippy, everyone thought it was funny, but i didn't as it can get out off control as they get bigger. i give her a poke and if she gets too much i lay her on her side and keep her there till she is calm and a few minutes on her own, then she can get up, i find this really calms her. i do hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
DaisyDoo & Mchis are spot on! :) It's great to remember while we love them.. animals are still animals not human kids, I think NILIF is stellar to incorporate into your normal routine though.
How is she doing today?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaisyDoo & Mchis are spot on! :) It's great to remember while we love them.. animals are still animals not human kids, I think NILIF is stellar to incorporate into your normal routine though.
How is she doing today?
She just had shots like half an hour ago. I got so nervous because the vet was messing with her mouth, but she did great! She pottied on the wee pad today and I went NUTS! I gave her a little treat as an incentive..haha. It that okay to do?? I have also been making her sit before I give her any type of chew stick and she has been doing better toda..Better keep my fingers crossed. She got upset once so far, but that is way better than what has been going on recently!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She just had shots like half an hour ago. I got so nervous because the vet was messing with her mouth, but she did great! She pottied on the wee pad today and I went NUTS! I gave her a little treat as an incentive..haha. It that okay to do?? I have also been making her sit before I give her any type of chew stick and she has been doing better toda..Better keep my fingers crossed. She got upset once so far, but that is way better than what has been going on recently!!
Sounds like you're doing great! I always try to treat them when I find them weeing on the wee pad =)

Making her sit before any chew stick is VERY important as it shows her she must work for things, not just expect them like a rotten little terror LOL.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you're doing great! I always try to treat them when I find them weeing on the wee pad =)

Making her sit before any chew stick is VERY important as it shows her she must work for things, not just expect them like a rotten little terror LOL.
Hahaha, WELL...she went once on the pad, and then 2 hours later went on the floor:( Booooo! Hahaha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts