Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am hoping to get some advice.....

I have a wonderful 2 year old Chihuahua-Taco. He is an extremely good boy, but has a couple of issues we are having problems fixing.

He has a serious possessiveness problem with his one doggie housemate, who is a Rottie/Shepherd -Skully. Everytime he has a toy and Skully comes near him he attacks him snarling and growling. We have told him"wrong" and we take the toy away, but it has not helped at all. He is very greedy with toys and will make a big pile of them and then sit on them and refuse to let Skully near them. We also have a Pug-Buddha, and he never does it to him. He allows the Pug to come over and take the toys no problem. Skully (the Rottie/Shepherd) is extremely gentle and mellow and never gets mad at Taco, but we would like to stop it as it in not nice behaviour. We think the problem may be that Skully himself (Who is older and obviously far bigger- he's 130 pounds) allows him to get away with it, and the Pug does not. Taco respects the Pug, but does not seem to respect Skully.

He never does it to people, if we go to take a toy, he rolls over and goes submissive.

We are also having a problem with him being aggressive with any large exuberant dog he meets. Small dogs are ok, and large mellow dogs are all good, but playful large dogs he gets aggressive with. He has had extensive socialization, but it has not helped this problem. How do we stop him from being so aggressive with them? We assume he is scared of them so is trying to back them off. He has never been hurt by a big dog.

Thank you very much for your help. We want our little Taco to be the best he can be. He is a super good fella other than these two problems. He's fairly quiet, playful, great with adults and children, very obedient (Other than he's recall, he is very adventerous and still doesn't always come when called, but he's getting better!).

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sorry, wish I could help. My big guy, lab/pit mix, is the top dog here so I don't really have that problem. Hope someone else can chime in and give you some good advice.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I would incorporate "NILIF" Nothing in life is free (you can google it) It is a rewards based training program to establish pack leadership in your home. Hopefully establishing a pack order within your home and your dogs he will be less likely to continue this behavior. If this doesnt work you may need to call a behaviorist?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. We actually use the "nothing come for free" approach, but sadly it has not helped at all with his behaviour towards Skully or large dogs. We are now trying to help Skully (the Rottie/Shepherd) be seen as higher on the heirachy than Taco by feeding him first, letting him out first etc. Not sure if it will help, but we figured it was worth a try. Skully has never been nothing but nice to Taco and Taco seems to think he can just push him around (whereas the Pug splatted him when he initially got rude with him and has never had a problem since). Thank you very much for your help, it is great appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts