Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken their Chi to a professional Puppy or Obedience class? I am thinking of taking Sincy because she always runs away when I try to pick her up :roll: I took my other dog Riley to obedience when he was a pup, but he is a big dog, so I didn't know if a Chi would respond the same.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
profesional obedience is a wonderfull thing. before i myself became a trainer i took my dogs to puppy and adult classes. your best bet would be to ask the trainer what their polocy is for small dogs, some schools if theres enough demand will do a seperate class for dogs under certain weights.
but its also good for your chi to get used to being around larger dogs anyways...so think of it as 2 good things in one...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper has had obedience (they call it "manners") class, Canine Good Citizen and assistance dog training. I highly recommend at least obedience class - you're taught basic commands, as well as information on how to continue training once class is over. Canine Good Citizen is just like an ultra-obedience class that really isn't needed unless you are going on to agility, assistance dog or other "working" dog training.

My advice is to find a facility that does small classes. It will cost more than training at petsmart or somewhere that will have large classes but it is well worth it. For one, if there are large dogs, they really aren't a threat since they're far apart and the trainers are better suited to having the dogs seperated in a way that's best for them. There are also less distractions with small classes and more time with the trainer for one-on-one if needed. It's easier to socialize your pup with larger dogs (or smaller ones) in a small class.

I'm not a fan of the petshop classes because of the distrations, large classes and I don't know one person that's left with their dogs knowing more than one or two commands. As a shopper, I'm also not a fan since they are distracting to my dog and block off areas of the stores. (Oh, I could go on... and I have already written Petsmart and Petco about it.)

You may want to look up and see if you have any training centers for dogs that work with the blind or deaf and ask for a recommendation from them for a good trainer/facility if you're looking to go the small-class route.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i took private lessons ...but quit after 3 weeks :? :oops:

there are things that i want to decide myself ....i want to greet my dogs when i get home, i want to give food when i want , i will give occasional treats for nothing ......

i want dogs ,not marionets :? as long as i have no problem behaviour ,i think for me it's not necessary !

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
i took private lessons ...but quit after 3 weeks :? :oops:

there are things that i want to decide myself ....i want to greet my dogs when i get home, i want to give food when i want , i will give occasional treats for nothing ......

i want dogs ,not marionets :? as long as i have no problem behaviour ,i think for me it's not necessary !

kisses nat
Nat brings up a good point... before taking your dog to any training classes, always call and find out their basic philosophy on training. Also ask if you can sit in on a class, just as you would do if you were taking your child to a new daycare. Different trainers do things different ways and Nat obviously didn't want the kind of training her trainer was offering. That OR the trainer didn't properly explain why they suggested the things they did where they'd make sense in the long run. The teacher and training philosophy is the most important equation, so you want to make sure you find someone that will not do something you feel is inhumane or is requesting something that you just don't want to do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We took Marcus and it was the best thing. We took a puppy kindergarten class through the city and we loved it. He is so much better behaved and he actually walks on his leash now :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts