Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would not use that on a thinned skinned dog like a chi, or a dog that has a thin coat, any of the ones I have seen don't have plastic tips on them, its just the metal. I would drop that So called trainer like a hot potatoe and never go back, even if she kept my money.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You have to purchase the nubs seperately. I never used one without the nubs;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Firstly, I'd like to start off by saying I know you posted this in 2008. I actually just made an account so I could reply to this comment that you'll hopefully see. Now that that's out of the way i wanted to educate you on prong collars. They're actually not horrible, torture devices as people have assumed from looking at the other comments. (Always purchase plastic coverings if it doesnt come with some for extra safety) Prong collars have a bad reputation because people give them one; when all they do is use it in a harmful way. Its actually a very good training tool for dogs when giving them a correction on their "bad" behavior. For instance, if your dog went in to go and sniff or worse, try to eat something off the ground you could give a light tug and they would know that thats not good to do. Prong collars are made in a way that they don't harm your dogs throat when tugged. But you also have to position it correctly on their throat to allow the most positive experience with one.
Though, I wouldnt use one on a dog thats less then 7 months. Or a very small dog like chis. (I believe is the correct age to start one, not sure) Anyway prong collars are actually so safe that you can put one on yourself and you wouldn't feel any pain. Possibly a light pinch though. (Which I have personally done) You should use one for training and walks, but its recommended to not have them wear it daily (when just at home doing nothing) bc its slightly uncomfortable. (not painful) Now, flat collars (regular looking collars) are not a good correction tool nor should be used on a "reactive" dog (pulling dog). This is because, unlike a prong collar where its made for a correction, once pulled starts to put pressure and choke your dog. Again, you could try it on yourself and see that you too would start to choke when its pulled hard enough. Now the thing with harness is that they're great for not choking your dog. But they give them the ability and influence to pull on it to pull you forward. Thus is the case when you walk an untrained dog and all they do is pull. And you can't give corrections using one as well. (Harnesses on dogs came from the need of using one for sled dogs. That is why its an influence for tugging) But when your dog is train and good with vocal commands, etc (and obviously they don't pull) flats and harnesses work great. Thank you for your time if you or anyone else read this.❤

21 - 23 of 23 Posts