Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want to get into a big BARF vs PMR debate. Having said that, I subscribe to the camp that believes that veggies aren't necessary because wild canids don't eat the stomach content of their prey. They shake it out. They eat the organs.... heart, kidneys, liver, but they don't eat the stomach. They may rip into the stomach, but they shake out the contents before they eat the stomach.

An exception to this would be a wild canid eating smaller game such as rabbits or mice in their entirety. But in that case, the stomach of a rabbit or a mouse is going to be very, very small. They aren't ingesting large amounts of plant matter.

A fellow raw feeder posted these very interesting (and graphic) pics of a coyote kill behind her house in the woods. The pack brought down a young deer and this is what she found in the morning....

Most all the edible bones are eaten and look what they left behind.

Nearby is the pile of intestines and stomach, etc. that was pulled out of the carcass and left.

I thought these pics were so interesting that I wanted to share!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought those might be the pics you were talking about Sarah. I think they are amazing too.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It amazes me so much I didn't know either than pack leader eats the heart and organs!!! I'm fascinated by it all I'm kinda excited

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yep....proof is in the pudding huh! Or should I say deer!! I don't think it's needed as well. Let's face it dogs are carnivorous, they aren't grain eaters.

Lori

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Its true veggies may not have needed nutrients for canines but
they are a good source of natural fiber opposed to medicinal
remedies for chis that need fiber.Dahlia gets the runs after her shots
series and I add raw carrots-bananas-apples to her diet until it subsides.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Tracy;
Thanks for sharing that! I was going to post those pictures as well. You beat me to it :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm so glad that we don't have to eat what dogs eat. :lol: :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Wow. Maybe they were full. LOL They did a good job eating everything on their plate though. LOL I am a pretty good believer in raw but do like the sweet potatoes and other veggies in the food I feed. Plus, Maya loves bananas. Maybe a coyote hasn't tried one. ;)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its true veggies may not have needed nutrients for canines but
they are a good source of natural fiber opposed to medicinal
remedies for chis that need fiber.Dahlia gets the runs after her shots
series and I add raw carrots-bananas-apples to her diet until it subsides.
In the case of diarrhea, canned pumpkin (plain, not pie filling) works really well for that.

Wow. Maybe they were full. LOL They did a good job eating everything on their plate though. LOL I am a pretty good believer in raw but do like the sweet potatoes and other veggies in the food I feed. Plus, Maya loves bananas. Maybe a coyote hasn't tried one. ;)
Canines are opportunistic. I'm sure if a banana was laying around, they'd probably sample it. Wolves have been filmed picking berries in the wild and they will also eat windfallen apples, etc. I've never seen one grazing in a corn field though. HA HA!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Should mention these pictures are from someone who found the deer carcass just outside her yard, they weren't 'made' she went outside in the morning and saw this. My uncle raises sheep/cattle and when wolves/coyotes get them, he said the same thing happens, they don't eat the stomach/intestines.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
interesting what is left

i cant believe photobucket removed the first pic lol
Well, for goodness sakes! I can't believe photobucket found that offensive. ha! If anyone missed it, it was a picture of a deer hoof/leg attached to the spine with ribs. It was mostly stripped of meat and was just bones.

If you are super interested, PM me and I'll send you the pic. ;)

Edit: Never mind. It is hosted at another domain so I just added it back into my original post. Someone must have seen it here and reported it to photobucket as offensive. Well, that's why I said it was GRAPHIC in the title!!! Shoot.... if you see "graphic" in the title and that kind of thing bothers you, then don't look. :coolwink:

Personally, I can't take the sad stories of abuse that are frequently posted on here and other sites. The stories make me sick and sad. So... GUESS WHAT - I DON'T READ THEM. Problem solved. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you open a post and look at pictures people.

I don't see a problem with a pile of stripped bones. I have seen far worse. Go to any grocery store and you will see much the same thing, minus the fur and leg at the bottom.

Ok, rant over. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh photobucket get a life

I find it so interesting dunno if I could do that myself tho I'd prob feel a bit sick seeing it in person!!! I wonder how many in the pack

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh photobucket get a life

I find it so interesting dunno if I could do that myself tho I'd prob feel a bit sick seeing it in person!!! I wonder how many in the pack
ha ha Sarah! Someone here saw the picture and reported it! :hello1:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts