Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pedro is so naughty lately!!! He hovers at the top of the steps and when I call to him to come over he ignores me. Im afraid to run to him because he will think I am chasing him and its a game. I am afraid he will go down the hardwood stairs and knock himself out!!! How do I get him to respond to his name... I want him tocome to me incase there is ever any danger... right now he is only 3 months old. Lately when he goes out for a pee he doesn't want me to pick him up and take him in, he runs away. AHHHHH! Help please.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I just found my paperwork from obedience class today and I have the paper in front of me, telling how to train your dog to come!

Just so you know, this post is going to be a bit long...

This is called the Rotisserie Chicken Program for Recall (Come). The purpose is an exercise to start and reinforce the recall of your dog. This program is recommended for use in a fenced yard or enclosed area.

Instructions

Either cook a chicken or get a rotisserie chicken at your local grocery store. Debone and store all the meat and juice in a plastic container. Store it in the refrigerator.

Anytime you call your dog, only say her name and "Come" once and only once. When she fails to run to you, grabe the container of chicken and walk out to where she is. Stick the container of chicken under her nose and pop the lid open, allowing the aroma to waft around her. Despite her interest in the container and it's contents, ignore her, walk back into the house and return the chicken to the fridge. Give the dog nothing.

Do this again and again until that time comes when you call your dog and she actually comes running, visions of juicy chicken dancing in her head. Don't give it to her - give her a piece of kibble instead.

The second time you call her and she comes, give her a piece of cheese. The third time, give her a piece of hot dog. Not until the fourth time she comes does she get a piece of chicken.

Repeat this process, giving out chicken at random times between giving her other, lower-value rewards such as kibble. Keep her guessing as to exactly when she will get chicken.

Note: You will have to entice your dog with the chicken in six different spots in the yard before she begins responding to your recall from anywhere she might be.

Tips:
Whether you plan to set this exercise up or to do it only when the situation naturally occurs, be sure to wait at least 2 minutes between each recall.

Call your dog only once. Don't stand at the back door, yelling "Come Fido! Fido! Come!"

Chicken is recommended because it's a high-value reward, which means it is something the dog really, really, really likes. You can use other rewards of high-value but do not use dog food or treats. Use those for the lower-reward treats.

Hope this helps!! :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hey, I've got more! LOL I just found this... it's called "Toss the Treat" for setting up recall...

Steps:

1. With treats/kibble in your left hand hidden behind your back and a visible treat in your right hand, wait for your dog to sit in front of you. (This was actually given to us after everyone had mastered "sit")

When he sits, reward him with the tastey morsel from your right hand. Now toss a treat a few feet away from you. Your dog will chase after the treat. After he eats the treat, he will turn back toward you. Call him by saying "Come". Once he is back to you, wait for him to sit in front of you and pat your thigh twice with the treat enclosed in your right hand. Touch his collar with your left hand while giving him the treat. Repeat this process, each time feeding your right hand treats from your left hand (this is so you have treats handy and don't have to interrupt training to get more.)

If your dog is distracted, you may use noises to get him to refocus on you. You can let your dog nudge your right hand as he tries to get the treat, but don't let him have it unless he sits. Waiting for your dog to sit will take longer in the beginning. Be patient - your dog will get the hang of it.

2. Do the same thing as you did in Step 1, only this time move while the dog is busy chasing after the treat. When he looks up for more, he will have to look for you and come to your new position. Repeat this process until your dog starts to better understand.

3. Do the same thing you did in Step 2, only this time move to a different room or duck behind furniture while the dog is busy chasing the treat. Essentially you will be hiding from your dog so start with a room that is close and move farther away. When he looks up for more, he will REALLY have to look for you. As soon as you see or hear your dog coming toward you, call "Come". Repeat this process as many times as necessary. You can also practice this in a fenced yard or on a long lead outside.

**The timing involved in rewarding your dog is important in this exercise. Be sure to reward him promptly when he comes back to you and hits a sit. The time limit for this game is 20 minutes. Remember to always end the game on a positive note which can be lots of love and praise or a high-value treat.

**The goal is to encourage your dog to be constantly vigilant as to your whereabouts and to want to come to you when called. It is best to practice this game many different times in different places in order for the dog to make it a habit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW thanks Cooper for a great information. Tai loves chicken he goes nuts for it. I've been using dog treats and now it's time to move on the the chicken trick. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
You're welcome!! Cooper snapped to the chicken thing really quick... I think after he smelled the chicken in the first step, I never had to close a door or call him again! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Cooper's mom, remember you were wondering if certain words in a thread would cue up a certain ad at the bottom? As soon as I submitted my post containing the word "chicken," up popped an ad for some sort of product so you "never serve dry chicken again." How stupid is that! :lol:
Wow.. I wish you could remember what it was. I hate serving dry chicken! :D

In another thread, I talked about restoring 57 Corvettes and where I could get an affordable engine for mine ... car stuff showed up. I wonder what would happen if I mention my dry chicken and my 57 Corvette?

Perhaps I could restore my chicken AND my Corvette?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Rachael Polachek said:
Cooper's mom, remember you were wondering if certain words in a thread would cue up a certain ad at the bottom? As soon as I submitted my post containing the word "chicken," up popped an ad for some sort of product so you "never serve dry chicken again." How stupid is that! :lol:
Wow.. I wish you could remember what it was. I hate serving dry chicken! :D

In another thread, I talked about restoring 57 Corvettes and where I could get an affordable engine for mine ... car stuff showed up. I wonder what would happen if I mention my dry chicken and my 57 Corvette?

Perhaps I could restore my chicken AND my Corvette?
The chicken product looked positively magical so I wouldn't be surprised if it would also do the job on your Corvette. And the best part is, it's only $13.99. You could conquer the world with a product like that. :wink:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
NaliaLee said:
Pedro is so naughty lately!!! He hovers at the top of the steps and when I call to him to come over he ignores me. Im afraid to run to him because he will think I am chasing him and its a game. I am afraid he will go down the hardwood stairs and knock himself out!!! How do I get him to respond to his name... I want him tocome to me incase there is ever any danger... right now he is only 3 months old. Lately when he goes out for a pee he doesn't want me to pick him up and take him in, he runs away. AHHHHH! Help please.
MAN! THIS IS JEMINI! i mean she STILL thinks her name is Pretty puppy!
Can't wait to read this reply! i have to got work but thanks cooper! copper is like the handbook for dog training!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the advice! I am going to try it out one of these days when i we have chicken for dinner. Ill just make tiny bite size tidbits for him to have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts