Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i got the Barron's Dog Bible to Chihuahua's today and read a little bit on the proper way of picking up a chihuahau to be held.

Can anybody give more detail on it? or a video of a proper way to pick up a chihuahua?

My sissy won't let me pick her up yet (timid and shy) but i want to know the proper way to pick her up when i do get to pick her up.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Do you know how much she weighs yet?

Mine I pretty much pick up w/ one hand under their chest and one under their bottom so their spine isn't stressed too much.

I give a word to it... "up". They know what it means now and stand still so I can pick them up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do you know how much she weighs yet?

Mine I pretty much pick up w/ one hand under their chest and one under their bottom so their spine isn't stressed too much.

I give a word to it... "up". They know what it means now and stand still so I can pick them up.
Exactly this. :) The one hand under their butt part is really important IMO.
We say "Comes here?" :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The smaller ones its less stress on their bodies but bigger ones it can kinda not be comfortable to be picked up often :) as long as you support their bum tho they should be fine :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Since her desexing I picked Fiddle up under her "arms" like you pick up a baby :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Since her desexing I picked Fiddle up under her "arms" like you pick up a baby :)
I used to pick up Lo like this, until she was probably 3. Then a couple times I picked her up, she would kinda cry out and tuck her chin and tail under. I asked my husband to watch, because I didn't know what was going on. From a side view, he could see that her back was arching way too much, and then when she left the ground (with her trying really hard to tuck up her back legs) her back snapped the other way way too fast. :( I felt so bad.
Just a warning, though, about picking up like that. :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to pick up Lo like this, until she was probably 3. Then a couple times I picked her up, she would kinda cry out and tuck her chin and tail under. I asked my husband to watch, because I didn't know what was going on. From a side view, he could see that her back was arching way too much, and then when she left the ground (with her trying really hard to tuck up her back legs) her back snapped the other way way too fast. :( I felt so bad.
OH my! Fiddle did cry out the other week but I thought I bumped the Spay site! I will definately not be picking her up like this any more!

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I agree, that's very uncomfortable for them.

I pick up the same as Kristi, one hand under the chest and the other hand supporting their bottom.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Gretel is a bit bigger than Fiddle, but she doesn't mind being picked up, she most often leans back to her back legs and wants picked up like a baby.

Mine are such roughians I get worried. Today Godric wonder-dogged out of my lap and slid across the floor unharmed nonetheless but stressed me out.

This is why I don't have tinys!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
One hand under chest between fron legs and other on bum but if I have 2 in one arm and am carrying something else in the other I have their front legs over my arm and their bums on my boobs so they're supported it's quite a nack and they know to keep still I also say wanna come up!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I usually jst scoop them up under their chests and support their bottoms when they are up. Except Hannah who, being half daschund, is much longer. With her its hands under chest and tummy to pick up.;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I so glad some one started this thread... After researching Chihuahua's before and after i went and got chico (even tho ive had him a year) I did not know that there was a right or wrong way of picking a chihuahua up 8-(

All the books and info i have read never said anything about this
But luckily i pick chico up the right way.... Thanks for the great thread! X

1 - 19 of 19 Posts