Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By tiny I mean say...5 lbs or under.

My Bijou will probably be about 5 lbs. The weight chart says so :p !! I personally think she will be bigger, just a feeling I have.

Since I got her she has grown a lot. She is now 3 months old a much easier to find than she was 5 weeks ago! And I don't feel like a hawk will cart her off from my back yard. OH! And now she can't squeeze through the fence.

On the other hand, I like being able to hold her in one hand. She's light and it makes her ULTRA portable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My little girl Tequila is almost 8 months old and only 2 1/2lbs!! The chi chart put her at 3lbs fullgrown. Funny, I have always been told that the smaller the chi, the more fragile it is....she looks fragile but she really isn't! She was raised with bigger dogs and *caring* children and has never gotten hurt. She's very good at staying out from under feet too. I like the fact that I can put her in a purse or in my jacket and take her anywhere.
My only issue with her though is that she has an inguinal hernia that needs repair as well as she needs to be spayed and I'm a little nervous to have her put under.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The only "bad" thing about Cooper weighing 10 lbs is I can't put him in a purse or carrier (not that he'd get in one - he's too independent) and carry him in a store and have no one notice.

I like the fact he's bigger because he's not as fragile as the smaller chis - not that they're all fragile but I don't worry about him as much as I could if he was half his size. He's also muscular from all the walking around he does, so that helps as well.

He DOES get quite heavy if I have to hold him for more than 2 minutes though. He might as well weigh 30 lbs when I'm carrying him through crowds or whatever. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'll be glad when Jolie is bigger/heavier. She weighed 2lbs 12oz a week ago at 14 weeks. 6-8 pounds is tiny to me. Heck, 10 lbs is still pretty darn small. I think Cooper is a little bitty toot! I want a dog that, if stepped on, won't be killed! :lol: Jolie sleeps with me and i would like for her to get big enough that if i accidently rolled over on her (not likely but hey, anything can happen, right?) she would just squawk at me to get off her. :lol:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
So many advantages and disadvantages......one being like Cooper said the tinier the easier to carry and hide. I have one of each. Kemo at 8lbs feels like 15.........Bindi feels like a feather at 5lb.
Have to worry about Bindi more than Kemo.......etc etc

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi is 2.9 pounds and is a little over 8 months old. i worry about her all the time with people walking around her. but i like how i can just scoop her up and go. smaller poops to clean up is also a good one lol. and she doesn't eat a whole lot either ;)

but i will say i am not prejudice against the larger chi's. my jumba is 2.2 pounds at a little over 8 weeks so he will be in the larger end of the weight chart. i am against overweight dogs though ;) it's not healthy for them as they get older.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I have two little ones at 5 and 6 years both weighing in at 3 1/2lb each and a bigger one at 7 years and 7 1/2lb ,i like the fact that i can carry Fynn and Rosie in a bag, but Sully you can give big cuddly hugs to where as though you can cuddle them you have to be a bit more careful of the tinies,and you have to be careful where you sit.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
My boy was really tiny and I lost him in an accident :( with little chi's you have to watch them so much more and even a small fall could be fatal. Stitch is small but he's a giant compaired to Nemo lol He weighs the same at 10 weeks as Nemo did at 15 weeks (1 1/2 lbs ish). There are a lot more health risks involved with smaller chi's but whatever size we love them all :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Preslee is almost 5 months and 2.5 pounds. I do hope that she gets bigger but my vet doesn't think she will grow a whole lot more. Her mom was a yorkie and she wighed 4 pounds and her dad a chi and weighed just over 2 pounds. SO im not sure. Either way it doesn't matter to me. Im just happy that she has finally grown enough that I can take the bell off of her and can find her.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Diego is 6 1/2 months and just over 4lbs. I really like the size he is now. When he was 2lbs I was always scared he would get hurt. He still seems tiny but just more sturdy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts