Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Gracie hasn't been her usual charming self since her last heat, but we chalked it up to that and have been trying to ride it out...Her first heat ended with a false pregnancy, so we thought we were headed down that road again...Wrong...

She's been really nippy with the other dogs - everything they do irritates her, whether they walk in front of her while she's napping or dare to try to eat a piece of food she dropped on the floor. She even snapped at me the other morning when she and Diesel had prematurely settled into the crate before time for me to go to work - I reached in to get little Diesel out, and she snapped my hand. She is normally the most loving little dog you've ever seen.

Keep in mind that my husband and I are both 51 years old. We're not senile, but we lead a hectic lifestyle and tend to forget things now and then. We both drink strong coffee in the morning like it's our life line, and then we have some more when we come home from work in the evening. Both of us had thought our cups were emptying out pretty quickly, but neither said anything to the other about it...We just refilled them and kept drinking.

I went up to shower this morning and left my steaming full cup of coffee on the end table, only to come downstairs and find Gracie with her head fully submerged in it, licking the bottom of the cup dry...:confused:

I told Pete (husband) about it, and he said "You know, I thought I was losing my mind. My coffee has been disappearing ALOT, too."

Tonight, when I got home from work, I sat my cup of coffee on the end table and told Pete to follow me into the kitchen. We both peeked around the corner and there was Gracie, going to town on my HOT coffee, like she was never going to get another drink of anything again...EVER...

Has this ever happened to any of you? I mean, it didn't take her 2 seconds after we left the room to start slurping...No wonder she has been so high strung...I guess it's cups with lids from now on out for us, and I don't want to think of how much dog slobber we've drank since this coffee fetish of hers started...

(For what it's worth, she's being spayed the week of Thanksgiving so we can be home with her...)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh, be careful! That can be very unhealthy for our little ones. (My minpin does the same coffee sneaking thing..UGH). She shouldn't be snapping at YOU tho, I can see the other dogs annoying her, mine live to steal toys away from one another and see who wins. It's usually the littles, since the Doberman can't get under the couch, little buggars.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How weird - mine won't TOUCH coffee! I don't know what could be to blame for the personality change although it could be related to her heat, I don't think that's very likely...my guess is you have a little caffeine addict on your hands and LOL she goes through withdraws that make her snappy...hell I am snappy without my coffee lol, so tell Gracie I can relate.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
So funny!

No real advice but I wanted to share with you that one of our dogs LOVES coffee too. :p
He's a regular thief like your Gracie, if I turn my back and it's in his reach, his heads in that mug! LOL

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That is funny. I have two that try to steal my coffee, too. Billy is the worst with Lexxi not far behind. I have to be real careful with them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flippedstars, I don't blame that little one at all! I spent 10 years living in Canada, and a Tim Horton's double double is the thing I miss the most!

We've kept her caffeine free for over 24 hours now, and she has returned to her usual loving self. I honestly believe she was either too hopped up on caffeine to behave or going through withdrawals in between 'cups'.

We had NO nipping today, and she's back in snuggle mode. I bet poor little Diesel is happy...That poor little thing couldn't do anything right.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol Omg! I am so glad she's back to her old self! She must really need her cuppa in the morning! lol Bless little Diesel! I'm sure he is very happy she is back to her old loving self! hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts