Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a medical reason to why reverse sneezes happen but can they also trigger or simulate it to gain attention? I wonder becouse Ive noticed with sunny if I sneeze he will often reverse sneeze immediatly after. I do baby him alot during and right after he has an actual attack.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thats a good quetion! I just notice they do it more when they get excited. I just usually pick them up and make them lick my hand. This usually makes them swallow and then it stops. This is what my Vet told me to do.
:D

Sandra

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! Yes, the reverse sneeze can be triggered by a lot of things, including excitement, allergies, and even cold weather. What happens is the soft pallet on small dogs tends to be a little bit longer than normal. During a reverse sneeze episode, the tip of the pallet dips into the trachea, blocking the airway, and causing the dog to pull in air quickly through the nose (hence a reverse sneeze). It's perfectly normaly, and SJC is exactly right, get them to lick you or swallow, it pulls the soft pallet out of the trachea.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive gotten to where I watch for any sign of him getting to excited and point him into a calm down. If he has an attack by calling his name usually halts the attack. Hes had several severe attacks that worried me that name calling didnt work. Before I got him I had never even heard of the condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts