Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has the same thing happen to them.

Everytime i take Yuna out shopping or for a walk we tend to get a lot of attention from members of the public.

I get stopped in the street by people who want to stroke her and ask me all sorts of questions and take photos of her. She isn't really put off by the attention unless it is children, who rush up to her then she will gets a bit frightened.

The other day whilst waiting for my partner I ended up having about 5 people crowd round us to pet the dog. I get stopped in the street too! I'm just wondering if this is typical of being a Chihuahua owner?

It's quite entertaining at times but it can get tiresome when you get bombarded with people!

Is this normal :p or is my Chihuahua a little celebrity :p

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yup, this is a daily event. (I am in Kent UK... so maybe it is a local thing here) For the most part, it doesn't bother me, but during the school holidays it has been a nightmare trying to find somewhere to take her where we are not going to be mobbed by kids.
Also... I find as we walk down the street I hear the word 'chihuahua' constantly. lol...
Calista adores the attention, and when she is off the lead she goes running up to people because she thinks everyone wants to pet her, which of course creates it's own issues. haha.
The one time it really got out of control was Glastonbury at Beltane (Pagan May Day celebrations) when she was dressed for the parade, we had constant attention, photos taken etc. aghhh, we had to sneak her into a shop and undress her.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I walk Ein, we slow down traffic :) And both she and Jade gets lots of attention. Ein has a hard time meeting strangers, but she scoots towards them and tries her best to get as close to them as her comfort zone will allow.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I used to get it a lot with my Pom's, Amberleah so young she hasn't been a lot of places but where she has been they all want to pet her. I tell them sh eis not used to other people yet and might nip.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, same thing happens to Max all the time.

We've been walking down the street and had people come over and just pick him up.

I wouldn't even PET someones pup without asking!

And once, a clerk at the pet store took him out of my shopping cart to show some of the other clerks!

Not cool!

Thankfully Max loves EVERYONE so he enjoys it! If someone doesn't pay attention to him he'll cry.

We tease that he has his own Paparazzi! :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Try walking down the street with a white golden who in itself gets tonnes of attention and then people see Bijoux toddling behind him and the "OMG" begin.

I HATE it when people pick her up without asking especially kids because lets face it kids wouldn't have the best grip on her no matter how hard they try. Were forever getting stopped so people can ask what breed she is and it's always

Me "she's a long hair chihuahua"
them "really whats she mixed with"
me "she's purebred"
Them" are you kidding I've never seen one so cute!"
etc you get the point

I'm thinking of investing in flash cards with the answers on them ;p

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Same here, mine don't like children running upto them, Teddy has started to now growl at people who come upto him, so I will put a stop to that. Tulula takes it in her stride, we are off camping next week, we had lots of attention last year, this is teddy's first time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
We took Daisy into Pets at Home, and I was carrying her because she was still being vaccinated then. We just got through the door, and we were stopped by a woman on the till. We walked a few more steps into the store, and were stopped again. And again. This continued the whole way round. We only went to get some peepads but we were there ages. Lol.

Also, if I'm waiting in a carpark and Daisy is looking out of the window I notice people looking and smiling at her.

When we walked along the beach, we got stopped a few times and I could hear a child shouting "look at that tiny dog!!"

It's definately a breed thing xD luckily, Daisy LOVES being fussed over :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have had a few people come up to me to ask what breed Reggie is, they usually think he's a pom or a pap. I was so grateful when one store worker correctly id'ed him as a LC chi. But only a few times have I been stopped, usually when I am carrying Twiggy, they can't believe she is full grown. Today was the first time I had kids come up, they really loved Delilah. The girl wanted to pick her up, I told her she had had a broken hip and no one picked her up. (I figured she would understand a broken hip better than a broken pelvis) She was very sweet and careful petting her after that. lol Chis are so prevalent here that most people aren't fazed with you walking with one or two.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I dont know if anyone else feels the same but I dont really like all the attention? :)

I too think its rude for children to be allowed to scare such a small dog - when we get the opposite with bigger dogs, just cos they're small doesnt mean everyone has a right to pet/dominate them before asking?

But also I feel like some people may judge Ive got a Chihuahua 'for' the attention like I think Im Paris Hilton or someone lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We get a lot of attention too, especially with Pebbles who most Pet store staff try to take for a cuddle & then ask where I buy her coats & collars as they are sooo small???? We even get everyone pointing & staring & poking at the vets.

svdreamer I have had a few people come up to me to ask what breed Reggie is, they usually think he's a pom or a pap. I was so grateful when one store worker correctly id'ed him as a LC chi.
I can sooo sympathise with that. When Yogi was small I took him into Petstock & the attendant asked what breed he was. I said - A chihuahua, Oh, she said, "well he can't be pure, he must have some pom mixed in there!" I sighed and said no he was a LC chihuahua to which she replied "They must be very rare". I just agreed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sigh, I understand that! No one can believe that Ein is a full Chihuahua. She's bigger than standard and fuzzy (working on her long coat!) so she MUST be a mix. One of the only people to see that she's a Chi was a little boy who rode past us on a bike saying "Oh! Look at the little Chihuahua! She's a long haired!" I laughed :) He must have Chi's at home!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
We get a lot of attention too, especially with Pebbles who most Pet store staff try to take for a cuddle & then ask where I buy her coats & collars as they are sooo small???? We even get everyone pointing & staring & poking at the vets.

I can sooo sympathise with that. When Yogi was small I took him into Petstock & the attendant asked what breed he was. I said - A chihuahua, Oh, she said, "well he can't be pure, he must have some pom mixed in there!" I sighed and said no he was a LC chihuahua to which she replied "They must be very rare". I just agreed :rolleyes:
LC are very rare around here. I've only seen a few available at the pound, I've never seen any out and about either loose or being walked or at a pet store. I do see hundreds of the SC variety, though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont know if anyone else feels the same but I dont really like all the attention? :)

I too think its rude for children to be allowed to scare such a small dog - when we get the opposite with bigger dogs, just cos they're small doesnt mean everyone has a right to pet/dominate them before asking?

But also I feel like some people may judge Ive got a Chihuahua 'for' the attention like I think Im Paris Hilton or someone lol.
my puppy gets LOTS of attention and it can be a bit annoying sometimes

Also about the children ive had it where kids run up to him trying to grab him so much that i have to quickly pick him up as he is so terrified, and the parents seem to think its ok for them to do that. they nearly stand on him!!

It would be a different story if we had a big dog that we let run up to there children. i dont think they would be to happy.

And with the people judging you, i cant tell you how many people say aww i bet you put him in your handbag, 'he's a handbag dog' which is totally untrue!

People do seem to assume you have them as an accesory which is totally wrong also!! my dog gets treated like a baby and he means the world to me. im sure its the same with everyone on here.

:):):)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not too many people take interest in Pablo...I think they assume he's a mix because he's so large (13.6 lbs.) and is black/rust. That's just as well, because he's scared of kids. From adults, esp. older adults, Kali gets a lot of attention; either "That's a...what is that?" or older people who had an American Water Spaniel years ago and haven't seen one in awhile, and want to know all about her. One person asked if she was a brown poodle lol! I used to get a lot of comments on Dary; some people thought he was a mix because he was cropped & flopped ;}

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine get loads of attention,sometimes I dont mind but usually its when I'm busy or in a rush and cba talking to them lol.

Just last week I was on the train with Bruiser and Tinks and a group of 5 women asked to hold tinks and all took pictures off her and every time I walk down street you hear chihuhua mentioned a thousand times !
They all get plenty of attention,I had a guy at the KFC drive through today askin what breed tinks is and how big will grow etc.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I walk my dogs every day at the park where there is a playground. A lot of kids run up and pet them without asking, but some are polite and ask first(or their parents tell them to). Everyone who sees Lion thinks he is a Papillon. I have also been asked many times if Penny is a teacup chihuahua.. I just smile and say "nope, just a regular LC chihuahua!" She isn't even that small, she weighs over 4 lbs!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I did get the 'teacup' comment once about Twiggy, I didn't mind educating the person, but since it was just the once, it was fine. I suppose if I got it daily it may wear. But to tell the truth, I love my dogs and am pretty proud of them even though they are garden variety chihuahuas, so if somone wants to talk and say something nice about them or ask questions about them or the breed, I'm happy to talk to them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've heard a few people questioning if Pixie was a cat before!! Then as she gets closer 'its a dog!?' lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Everyone falls in love with Lavender. She is a bit shy and very ladylike and dainty and everyone wants to cuddle her and love on her. It's usually OK, but I don't let anyone pick her up and always pick her up and hand her to someone who wants to hold her and would not let a small child hold her. I think she might be a therapy dog one day, after my Bichon is ready to retire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts