Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some opinions. I was talking to someone at the meat market who is also a raw feeder. I don't know her personally, we just started talking and it came up....could have been that we were both looking at chicken's feet :rolleyes:.

She was telling me that she feeds canned pumpkin to her dogs about three times a week with their raw meals for extra fiber and vitamins. I only use pumpkin more as a medicine...if they have a poop issue, but what she was suggesting seemed to make sense to me.

Does anyone else do this ? Any thoughts on it ?

Mel I know you feed some veg purees in with your raw, what do you think ?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't think it'll hurt, no. But if they're on raw diet anyway; they'll be getting the nutrition they need... A body cannot absorb "extra" vitamins.. they just get shed out either in sweat, urine etc.

~All that said!!! lol~ I probably do give my dogs a small spoonful of canned pumpkin a few times a week. We just freeze it, though; and give it to the dogs as a treat (or to help tummy issues like you said.) So, I do it, but not for nutritional purposes hehe.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Oh I do love pumpkin! But I save it for poop problems mostly. For fiber I tend to purée collard greens, parsley & ginger and freeze in ice cube trays and give sporadically! It's great for vitamins, fiber and digestion...since I am not feeding organic meats, I feel what I feed still misses the mark for complete nutrition. This is why I also supplement fish oils regularly and Vit E on occasion.

Lakeland is so big now, but do you know the name of the person you talked to? Maybe I know them by chance. That would be cool! :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Every time you gals talk about canned pumpkin I'm mystified 'coz we don't get it over here and it always leaves me wondering what it looks like. I think I'll just have to get a whole one & cook it up & freeze small portions.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hey Cheryl, thanks for the pic, now I know the consistency that's great. I wonder, do they put the variety of pumpkin that it is on the tin? We have so many different varieties over here i.e. Queensland Blue (impossible to cut), Butternut and the others' names escape me. They'd probably be completely different names over there. I might do some googling to see what I come up with.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Cheryl, thanks for the pic, now I know the consistency that's great. I wonder, do they put the variety of pumpkin that it is on the tin? We have so many different varieties over here i.e. Queensland Blue (impossible to cut), Butternut and the others' names escape me. They'd probably be completely different names over there. I might do some googling to see what I come up with.
Butternut and Queensland Blue are types of squash. Squash and pumpkin are both in the Gourd family, just different types. I cook Butternut quite often and it does taste different than Pumpkin, I'm not sure if it gives the same benefits or not.

*** CHERYL - I LOVE anything pumpkin flavored! Muffins, bread, latte, you name it! ****

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.