Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want Tequila to join the chihuahuas on raw diet; but at barely 12 weeks she struggles to crunch through even the bone of a chicken wing.

If I use egg shells for now, is that 'boney' enough to give her the nutrients she needs from it?

Or should I be pulverizing actual bone with a hammer? If so, how "fine" does it need to be before she can swallow it?

I know they make balanced patties and grinds; but I'd rather just make it myself if possible.

For anyone who's raw-fed a very young pup I'd love advice!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I started raw feeding Brody when he was 4 months old. He did fine on chicken wings. If Tequila is struggling, take a hammer and give it a few whacks. She will learn. :) You can also try easier bones such as the back and breast/rib sections. You could also try rabbit or quail if you can get them as those bones are easy. Some lamb breast bones are soft and there are pork riblets with 'button' bones which are pretty easy to get through also.

In the meantime, you can dry out eggshells and grind them into a powder and then use a pinch on her meaty meals. That should satisfy her calcium requirement in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I would think cornish hen bones to be the "softest", but rabbit and Quail bones are also good. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quail bones are suuuuuper soft and thin. Even my senior foster dog, who only has 7 teeth left, can eat quail without any problem. If you can get access to some quail, I bet your pup wouldn't have any problems with the bones.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I got Audrey at 7 weeks old (too young to leave mommy and litter mates I now know). She started raw the next day. I started with raw chicken wingettes. I would wrap them in a dish towel and crush them with a hammer, then feed. By 12 weeks she was chewing them on her own without being crushed via hammer first.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!! So far she has been good at breaking through the chicken necks. We were using eggshells but she swiped some food from Gatsby and we just watched her to see what she'd do. It takes her time but she is determined so hopefully we're outta that rut!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts