Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much :)
we rescued a corgi/australian shepherd 7 week old puppy from a shelter :( she was an un-wanted puppy, because some joe didn't fix his dogs, grr.

anyways so, we feed lala & lucky the super5mix chicken, and we didn't want to have to buy two seperate foods, unless we absolutely HAD to.

thanks so much girly!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I would love to rescue a dog from a shelter!!
I want to see pics too!!
And I didn't know you didn't have to feed puppy food if the food was high quality. Very cool! I'm all prepared for when I get my new puppy ;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Oh, I love to hear about rescues!

I was told that it was fine to feed Dolly regular Innova (adult, small bites) when she was just a puppy. So, yeah, that's OK. I did it for the same reason...wanted all my dogs to eat the same stuff. She was quite a bit older though (4 mos).

Have fun!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
OMG is Coalee ever adorable! What a handsome little girl.

I've had Bu on Chicken Soup Adult for quite awhile and when we brought Ernie home that's what we started him on for all the same reasons mentioned above. He's thriving!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I'd actually still feed puppy food, as it has a higher fat content and puppies NEED that fat (same as human babies) to build the myelin around their brain neurons, which is *extremely* important. The only time I'd not feed puppy food specifically, is if it's an all stages formula (even then though, I'd myself, choose to feed puppy food). After you study how important the extra fat is, you really wouldn't want to skimp them on it =/ Myelin is important for brain and neuron conduction speed. So they actually can do physically well without it, but it will affect other levels of their processing and intelligence that won't be as obvious.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
actually krista in the premium foods if you check out the fat levels the puppy and adult foods have the same amount, generlaly the onyl difference (again in the high premium foods) is kibble size, puppy kibble tends to be smaller than the adult version.

(thats comparing a puppy and adult food bag to bag at this very moment.)

in lower grade foods however i 100% agree with you. if the foods not premium make sure to use a puppy food untill the dogs at least 8 motnhs old. in premium foods however...

as for coaley shes GORGEOUS! such a cute pup!
just be carefull, as she gets older and her hearding instinct kicks in shes gonna become a handfull, shell likely try hearding people, and the other pets in the house and cattledogs whent to be a lil nippy (they were bred with strong drive and bred to actually retain the instinct to nip the ankles of the cattle to keep them moving.
but shes gonna be a lot of fun too!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks so much everyone! she is so adorable, all she is doing is sleeping, eating, peeing & pooing and playing with her toys for like 10 minutes, then she repeats the cycle haha. i found her on www.petfinder.com for anyone interested in rescueing a dog.
Lala & Lucky don't really mind her, not paying much attention, i think they trust us to bring in a new "pack" member lol :)

Yeah, we did a lot of research on both breeds, corgi & australian shepherd, and as long as we portray the dominant role, she should be fine, and give her lots of exercise, and we wanted a larger dog to go running with us (boyfriend & i) so she will def be getting a lot of good exercise, once she is fully grown etc. Boyfriend grew up with larger breed dogs (dobies) so he is super good with them, and SO confident around big dogs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think you should feed puppy food, especially at that young of an age. I work at a specialty dog food/toy store and the reason for puppy food is the higher fat and higher protein content that young dogs need. Most vets dont recommend feeding adult until at least 4 months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
foxywench said:
actually krista in the premium foods if you check out the fat levels the puppy and adult foods have the same amount, generlaly the onyl difference (again in the high premium foods) is kibble size, puppy kibble tends to be smaller than the adult version.
Actually you are wrong. The difference isnt only the kibble size (which is only the case with certain brands) but the protein content. Some foods have a higher fat content for the puppy food but the entire point of puppy food is to give them more protein, which they need at a younger age.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I always learn a lot from the food discussions! :) My vet told me premium food (like Innova) if anything can be too high in protein (their EVO can be), so I think the protein content would be OK. I tend to agree with Foxy because I was told that by a vet and a pet store guy, but also...just from experience, it's almost impossible in a multi-dog household to feed dogs different food.

However, like I said, it's so good to get all the opinions and chew on it all a lot.(Pun intended)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
again, im talking PREMIUM foods, take a bag of timberwolf wolf cub and timberwolf wolf king, the fat and protein levels are the same.
same with merric, royal canin (those are the 3 i had on hand for comparison)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Well if the fat levels are the same they're doing something wrong ... either for the adult or for the puppy =/ Because they do need more and they shouldn't be the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts