Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Misleading breeder

I am mainly asking this on be half of my cousin who has Leah's only litter mate.
We put down payments on Leah and Seth around the beginning of Sept (born Aug 9th). The breeder told us that they wouldn't be ready for a few weeks because they needed to have their shots. We picked them up on September 24th after they "got their shots". The paperwork he gave us says puppy visit and dewormer. Nothing else is listed. We didn't think anything of it until Seth started having issues. The poor little guy has been through alot. He has had ear mites and flesh eating mites. The vet told my cousins that the flesh mites are normal on puppies and they they normally dont present a problem and that the puppy usually outgrows them. We just picked up Claude and Claudine the week before Christmas. Their paperwork gives a long list of what shots they were given. Nothing at all like the paperwork for Seth and Leah. And we picked Leah and Seth up when they were 6 weeks. The breeder that we got Claude and Claudine from said that vets wont give shots under 8 weeks.
My cousin loves Seth and wouldn't change getting him but is getting frustrated after the money she paid for him to have his shots. I still have the number of the breeder we got Leah and Seth from. My question is would you call and complain to the breeder? We were told they had had their shots.
Sorry for my wordy explination. TIA for you opinions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know when I picked Ripley up from the breeder at 6wks she had some shots. But I also got a little packet from the vet with their card and the breeders card. It was tri-fold where I could keep track of her shots, heartwormer, weight, etc. They had filled in some. I would call and say that he's not doing well can you get the # to the vet they used, and call them. If you got a print out from the vet and no shots were on their ask your vet if he's healthy enough to get them now.
Hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Vets must vary in the shot schedule they recommend. Taz had a series of four at 6 1/2 weeks, 9 1/2 weeks, 12 1/2 weeks and 15 1/2 weeks. I suppose it's possible they had one shot but they couldn't have been fully innoculated. And deworming usually needs to be done several times.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You got them in Sept at six weeks. then they should have gotten more shots thre weeks after that and three weeks after that, too. There is supposed to be a series of three or four puppy shots, not just the one. I would suggest you get them in and finish their puppy shots.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Any vaccine under 8 weeks is, well... not good. And pointless.

Here's some info:
Aimee's Rabies Exemption Law: NEWS FLASH: Dr. Jean Dodds New Vaccination Protocol

The important part to know:
"Puppies receive antibodies through their mother’s milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced. Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 months) will provide lifetime immunity."

That said, there are still a lot of breeders out there who will vaccinate (and vets who are willing to do it) because the vets want $ and the breeders can charge more $ if they say the pup has had vaccines. When in reality, they should be keeping them until a t least 10-12 weeks anyway; but most want them weaned and sold by 8 weeks. Quite sad actually. =/

Also, it may not be on the veterinarian invoice because; if it's actually a good vet who refused to vaccinate at under 8 weeks; the breeders can actually pick up the injection at any Farm & Fleet for $5.99 and do it themselves. Lots of breeders do that just to save the cost of the vet visit. >.<

So, it's possible that he did have his shots if the breeder gave the injections herself. But really, she SHOULDN'T have because as said above it will "delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. "

·
Registered
311 Posts
So with that how is it handled for the puppies who were vaccinated early, sold and shown the new vet the vacs that were given even when the first set really didn't count? I would imagine too in puppy mill dogs this is frequent and or they aren't vaccinated. How is a new owner to really know and what are they to do if they suspect the dirty was done?

I was given a card with the injections my pup had at 8 weeks, but in all honesty I didn't see her injected so I have to go upon a strangers word. Now I do have confidence in what I was told but lets say she fibbed what does than mean for my dog?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You give her the next set of shots when they would have been due. If she was done at 8 weeks, then when she is 11 to 12 weeks, do the next set. The sets of shots do not build on each other, it's just trying to catch the puppy as soon as the mom's antibodies stop covering her. So it's not the number of shots, it's the timing. If yours came at 8 weeks and suposed to have had her shots, if you are not sure, just keep her home until the next two rounds are done. You usually don't put a puppy on the ground outside your house or yard before the whole set is done anyway. So no problem.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ladies. They have since had their shots caught up. My cousins wonders if she should contact the breeder and ask to be paid back for the vet fees of them not really having their shots. This comes from mainly the fact that Seth and Leah were $150 more than Claude and Claudine. :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.