Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the breeder when I asked her current size: "She is 9 weeks old today and she weighs 35.4 ounces. This is the most she has charted out to be yet. For example: at 4 wks she weighed 14.5 oz, 5 wks 17.10 oz, 6 wks 20.75 oz, 7 wks 26.75 oz, and 8 wks was 31 ounces"

How big do you think this girl will be? The breeder says she's charting at about 4.5#, but if she's already over 2# at 9 weeks, that doesn't seem right. That's how much Zoey weighs (4.5#) and I don't think she hit 2# till she was at least 4 or 5 months old maybe older.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife's better at the size thing than I am, but I'd reckon from what I have learned from her, that pup is going to get bigger than the adult one you have now.
I'd avoid it unless you want a dog that is bigger.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have a look at this image,

It explains how this one could be so big, the mum or the dad could also have resessive large size genes.

Its sort of works the same way with kids,

my cousin and her partner both have brown hair but they have a red haired girl.

http://www.miniaturemiracleskennel.com/images/chihuahua_size.jpg

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Heather she looks big shed be about 6-7lb is still a small dog it depends on their stature rather than weight if she has tiny legs she will be shorter. Daisy was 2.2lb at 12 weeks and is fluctuating between 4.5 and 5lb at 10 months I expect her to be 5.5 adult.

Lotus should be the same size as she was 2.1lb at 12 weeks and didn't grow till 16 weeks where she was 2lb 11

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heather - she's going to be big!! Over 2 pounds at 9 weeks? Oh yeah. I don't care what the chart says. That chart was created by one person 30 years ago. It worked for his kennel. Now everyone is putting it on their website and going by it and it's just proved not to be accurate.

One of the best ways to estimate adult size is to triple the 8 week size and add a pound, or double the 12 week weight and add a pound. Of course there are exceptions, there always are. But she looks sturdy and big boned.

Brody weighed 2 pounds at 12 weeks. He is exactly 5 pounds now. If he weighed more than 2 pounds at 8 weeks, he would likely have been 7 pounds or more. Still a small dog, but if you are looking for one around Zoey's size, this is not the one.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Okay, big controversial subject on this board.... LOL You get varrying opinions but my post is based on my experience with my six Chi's ONLY - all have different lines (except Mari & Maya who were littermates & Maxie and Marley do share a dad). So take it for what you want....

If you're DEFINITELY wanting a pup a similar size as Chloe...I'd pass on this particular pup. However, she still may end up being in the standard so if size really doesn't matter I'd consider her. (she is gorgeous btw!) To me, she looks like she has a lot of chunk which will even out as she grows older. Marley was chunky like that, he weighed 2 lbs 8oz at 8 weeks and is just under 6lbs at 1yo. Both Maribelle & Maxie were 2lbs by 9 weeks (Mari may have been just over 9 weeks when she reached the 2lb mark) but both of them are weighing in at under 5lbs at their adult size. I am assuming Maya was the same way but can't say for sure because we didn't have her until she was 1 1/2yo however she & Maribelle were similar in weight at 8 weeks old.

Anyway, if size/weight is truely important I'd pass & go for a pup that is much smaller at such a young age. That way there is no doubt they'll be on the smaller side. But I do like the looks of this pup...she is very sweet & her shape looks pretty good! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heather and Heather ... ha ha. :) You're right Mchi's Heather - weights can vary. If this little puppy ends up looking like your Mari - I think she'll be gorgeous. I love her. She's my favorite out of your pack.

Zoey's Heather - go with your heart. If you love the look of this baby, and don't have your heart set on a specific size, then get her. Just count on her being around 6.5-7 pounds. Then if she ends up smaller, it's just a bonus. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I wouldn't count on her being any smaller than 7 lbs. grown, and maybe (most likely) even bigger. The charts do NOT work, and the 12 week, double the weight and add 1 lb. works for some. But many even go over that. You also have to take into account her shape, which can make 7 lbs. look huge, or much smaller. If you'll notice, which I have stated many times here on the board, she is gaining about 3 oz. a week, and more during growth spurts. This is normal gain and growth, and all 4 of mine went through this pattern, just on a smaller scale. They gained around 2 oz. a week, but only because their adult size is so small. So you can count on an average of 3 oz. a week until they hit 28 weeks, where it will slow down, then they'll add about 1 lb. from there to 18 months, 2 years old. So if size matters to you, do not get her "hoping" she'll stay smaller, because she won't. :wink: Definitely not going to be a 4.5 lb. pup. Having Zoey, you know how tiny that is, pup in pic will be that size very soon, and she is only 9 weeks old. If she is indeed 2 lbs. now, she will be a 3 lber. by 12 weeks old. Rule of thumb. If it looks/sounds to good to be true, IT IS! :lol:

Edit: Removing a comment that seems to offend.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with the others, and think she will most likely be over the 4.5lbs of Zoey. While I do love her markings and her tiny face is so sweet, she almost looks out of proportion in that second pic. Is it just me? Her head looks teeny, and her body looks soooooo plump! Will her head get bigger and balance out do you think?

·
Registered
323 Posts
As a breeder I would have to say closer to 6lbs. I had a 3lbs at 8 weeks old and he over 6lbs now. 12 weeks old you double her weigh and that will be her adult weigh. some are fast growers and than slow down. What are her parents weighs? also look back to the granparents too...this will give you a idea...good luck she is cute

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with the others, and think she will most likely be over the 4.5lbs of Zoey. While I do love her markings and her tiny face is so sweet, she almost looks out of proportion in that second pic. Is it just me? Her head looks teeny, and her body looks soooooo plump! Will her head get bigger and balance out do you think?
That's what I was saying...she is CHUNKY! Obviously loving her food. LOL I'm sure with age she'll even out proportion wise. But the "chunk" also adds weight to the scale which throws off any "estimated" weight.

T, how can you be so sure the breeder is being dishonest about weight? I mean, I'm not saying she isn't & I know there are loads of "breeders" out there who do lie. But really...there are no distinguishing items in the pic other than the pup & fake flowers (which can come in many different sizes). Just trying to figure out where you get your estimate. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I do think she'll be bigger too and keep in mind a LC "looks" bigger than a SC, which Zoey is. Bryco's looked bigger than Oakley since about 2.75 lbs...

Its so hard to say. Trigger was 35 oz at 8 weeks, and I knew he'd be bigger. Bigger is wonderful for a variety of reasons, but it isn't the tiny arm pooch you may be looking for. Trigger's 8 week weight if you follow Tracy's x3 + 1 lb rule, puts him at about a 7.6 lb adult but right now at 8 months he is 7 lbs...he's gonna be bigger than 7.6 lbs lol. Ready for the kicker? Until 6 weeks he was the smallest puppy in his litter. My mom has his brother, who was 18 oz at 8 weeks...he will be around a 4.5 lb adult.

I tend to believe, too, that pups put on a few ounces after they go to their new homes which gives you a better feel for what they might be as an adult. This isn't ALWAYS true (Sarah's Lotus, my Oakley), but because they are no longer competing with littermates for food, they do pork up a bit.

Bryco was 17 oz at 12 weeks...I think he will be around a 5 lb adult. So its just hard to say...he's 7 months now and 3 lb 10-12 oz depending on the day. He eats a lot and I feed him a lot. He had a really hard time as a puppy, I don't know why or what caused it but when I got him at 12 weeks he was healthy ...and he is very healthy and hardy now... he was "charting" at between 2.5-3 lbs until close to 20 weeks but its just not accurate IMO. Even the 12 wk weight x 2 + 1 lb won't work for him which seems to work for most of our little ones, because that'd put him at his adult weight...now. Not likely...lol.

Sorry, hopefully that helps a little, but its hard to be conclusive.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yes, you will get some that might go through what Bryco did, having tummy trouble, and not putting on what weight he probably would had, had he not been ill. But if I remember correctly from our few convos. through PM, he was still gaining 1 and even 2 oz. most weeks. Not a lot, but still growth and gain. When a young, growing pup isn’t gaining weight, you can only assume something is wrong (minor or not). Because just like a child, if they are healthy, they will thrive. No two ways about it. Even if they are not going to be a larger Chi, they will still grow and gain. I also do not understand pups that grow, but don’t gain weight. That just defies the laws of Science. I don’t want to start a big ole’ beef with anyone. That’s not what I’m trying to do. But when questions like this are asked, I feel people have the right to know on average what to expect. For many size does not matter. And that’s fine. But for many it does. Maybe they aren’t wanting a 3 lb. itsy bitsy fragile dog, but wanting the Chi to stay within standard. 5 to 6 lbs. Which in most cases, if they are within standard, which isn’t the norm. these days, they are not going to weigh 2 lbs. at 8 weeks old. Yes, some will be porky, and lose a few ounces at their new home, but it won’t be anything significant, nor keep them from going on to thrive within a few weeks. So even if they are going to be a 5 to 6 lb. pup, you can still figure on approx. 3 oz. a week gain. And more during growth spurts. I’m not saying this is concrete Science here, I’m just saying that even if it fluctuates here and there for whatever reason, you are still getting growth. Expecting to get a very young puppy that is 2 lbs., and that it will stay 2 lbs. for the next few months is just setting yourself up for disappointment if size matters to you. So while everyone here has their own experiences and such, these are the things I know to be true. The OP can use all of our help and info. Not just mine, or any other specific person. That’s what makes the board a learning tool, various experience and knowledge. All I am saying is that don’t expect something that is probably not going to happen, and then you don’t have to worry about feeling, “had.”

Heather, even with nothing in that pic for size guide, the pup is clearly, “plump.” So since she is only 9 weeks old, there is a “possibility” she could be 2 lbs., but clearly (to me) she will be a larger Chi as an adult. For the most part, if you look at the majority, the charts, and even the 8 and 12 week guide, is still way under on adult weight.

Again, my post isn't to upset anyone. It is just my 2 cents, as everyone else. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Something to add to my post. Say for whatever strange reason, that could only boggle my mind, the pup ends up weighing 4.5 lbs. I almost certain that when size matters to someone, they want a dog that looks 4.5 lbs., not 7 or 8 lbs. 4.5 lbs. to me is the size of Zoey. This pup will be that "size," before she ever reaches 4 months old. Just more of my 2 cents. :lol:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco did gain 1 - 2 oz at first when I was asking you about him, I was worried how small he was, but from 15-21 weeks he almost gained nothing, he'd gain an oz, then it'd be gone, lather rinse repeat, lol, I think 2.7 oz total during that time, I kept a chart of it and I took him to the vet and they never seemed worried. He was a weird one. He went from 21 weeks @ 1.7 lbs to 3.6 lbs at 31 weeks. So its hard to say. Whatever was "off" with him fortunately got better though...phew. I think he will hit around 4 lbs and slow down significantly but who knows...his parents were 4.1 lbs (mom, and yes, I saw her on a scale b'c I couldn't believe how bitty she was!), and dad, 4.8 lbs...I like to use him as an example though to remind people even if its bitty as a baby it doesn't mean it will stay that way :-D

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank-you everyone for your opinions. I Really appreciate them. I Want a smaller chi well normal sized 3-6# as my 12# Pomeranian just plows over Zoey, when he's excited etc he just runs her over, and I hate that and I know Zoey does too so was thinking of looking for a 'normal' chi that would be more Zoey's size. Yes we have Ziva now but I still want a little chi too. I thought she looked awful big to me to be just 2# my puppy Ziva weighs 3 & 1/2# and looks smaller than Diva does. I am still learning so much about chi's and this forum has been wonderful for that.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yes, very true Kristi. Tiny pup does not equal tiny adult. And like you said, 4 lbs. is very tiny. Not what people have a mindset for. They are itty bitty. This is why I always say, you can pretty much bet that even the tiny young pups will top out at 5 to 6 lbs.

I think Bryco just had some type of IBS stuff going on, poor fella'. But like you said, it cleared up and he went on to pick up where he left off.

LC's do look more fluffy to me, but doesn't change the size of their frame. :wink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts