Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i have a jack Russell bitch which i have had from a puppy she is now over 2 years old and i have just got a male chihuahua pup. Sky my bitch is keep nudging the chihuahua pup and every time he urinates on his puppy pads she urinates on top or near where he went. also she follows him everywhere

anyway i was wondering why does she do these things
1. follow him
2. nudge him all the time
3. urinate on top of where he urinated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could someone help me please ... somtimes she will play nicely with him and other times she will put her fur up and growl at him... so i normally have to sit with them while they play

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The urinating on top of where the puppy urinated is dominance behavior. Your JRT is telling the puppy the only way she can that she's top dog. I'm not as certain about the other behaviors, but it makes sense that they are also dominance related. Sounds like the presence of a new dog has de-stabilized your JRT, and she's trying to make sure she remains alpha.

I think focusing on a LOT of positive reinforcement will help. Your JRT needs to begin making positive associations with the puppy, rather than feeling unstable and threatened. So make lots of opportunities to train this. Put them together, and feed the JRT yummy treats every time she approaches the puppy and DOESN'T growl or nudge. If she plays nicely, feed a treat. Look for ANY opportunity you can find to reinforce your JRT'S GOOD behaviors towards the puppy. Also, until this evens out, it's important you supervise them all the time right now, it's possible your JRT will attack the puppy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes i also think that the jack russell just wants to show the pup who is boss, which is not necessarily a bad thing as long as she doesn't hurt her/and or make her really scared. I am sure they will settle very soon though. it's a big change for everyone in your house hold. i would continue not leaving them alone together until things have settled, which i am sure they will!!! just show your jack that you still love her and she doesn't need to be scared to loose mummy! :) good luck. I am currently considering to get a second dog myself and I have to consider all these potential problems too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it has been 2 1/2 days with the new pup.. today Uno tried to suckle from Sky and she just lay there and let him .. even know he was clawing at her stomach trying to get milk out .. everything is going excellent they play together all the time and the only time Sky is not happy is in the morning but after about an hour she is fine and wants to play . they also drink together out of the same bowl ( eat from different bowls )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts