Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Axel is displaying some adorable but puzzling behaviour. Whenever I give him a fresh chicken wing he barks and growls at it and darts back and forth nipping at it. He does this for 5-10 mins before he actually starts eating it. He doesn't display this behaviour towards any other food so I'm wondering if this is some kind of predatory behaviour because it is raw food. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone else have a dog that does this?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
When we first started raw my dog did this. I don't think it is because it is raw per se, just that it is new and I don't think it has anything to do with predatory behavior any more than dog play is motivated by predatory behavior generally. I assumed that my dog was not sure if it was food or a toy because he was not used to getting food this big. After a few days he stopped play bowing to the chicken and just ate it right away!

Interestingly our dog did it to a large piece of rawhide at a friend's house as well. Like I said, it is new, probably bigger than the kibble he is used to and he is looking for a clue as to what to do with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts