Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,i know ozzy is only young, but is it normal for him to be hyper 24/7?!
He doesn't seem to have calm times in his day!

another little thing i'd like to ask is what to do to get him to listen to me, or someway to let him know when he's doing something wrong.
at the moment i am being totally ignored!

:confused:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Elise has always been very energetic. no matter the time of day/night she will play!! I think its just normal puppy behaviour x

·
Registered
898 Posts
Have you tried filling a can with pennies and when he is doing something he shouldn't shake the can and say no? I've heard this works, worth a try lol.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Y'know, I thought Tango was hyper.........until I got Jazz! :D Comparatively, Tango's a slug lol! Like you, I've had similar troubles with Jazz, she's SO different than Tango when it comes to her attention, AND her attention span. I know both will increase with age, but it's been a challenge up to this point.

Jazz pretty much runs herself~~finally~~into exhaustion, at which point she'll collapse on my lap or her bed and rest. When they play, Tango will get to the point where he wants to quit whereas Jazz just wants to keep on going, and she'll bug Tango after he goes and lies down. He's dominant, so he'll sometimes have to growl at her to let her know he's done. She's 7 1/2 months now, and I've noticed a very slight change in her behavior, in that she'll tend to slow down a bit before finally resting, and I can hold her and calm her down that way.

Training's been a real challenge, she just won't stay still and focus long enough to learn anything. I finally had the bright idea to teach her "Wait!", which essentially means that she has to be still before she gets a treat. I clicker train mine, which has been helpful with Jazz in shaping that behavior. Basically all I did was show her that I had a treat, and then correct her every time she jumped up or nuzzled my hand or did anything other than stand still at which point I gave the command, and she had to be still till I released her. I figured that would be harder to teach than sit, but after failing with sit and down and a couple others, I tried it, really in pure desperation, and no one was more surprised than me when it worked lol!

Currently, I'm not trying to train much else, just reinforcing that command. Now when she sees I have a treat, or I bring out the training treats for a training session, she's SO much better about calming down. She'll go crazy, and I tell her "Wait!" and usually after the first command, she'll just stop dead still. I don't make her wait long, she's too young yet, before I give the treat with, of course, LOTS of praise.

Just as a comparison, when Tango sees that I have treats, he'll get excited for a minute, but as soon as I start to talk, he'll stop dead in his tracks, his attention COMPLETELY focused on me, and won't move a muscle. He, just naturally, will wait, I didn't train him to do that. Jazz on the other hand is jumping up and running in circles and scratching my legs and practically doing back flips! :D They are SO different.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!

Tink that is exactly what Ozzy is like, he’s running around crazy jumping around, doesn’t pay any attention to what im telling him.

I’ve put on every voice known to man, telling him off, and he doesn’t even look at me.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I make some well screwed up noise to get Daisy to listen coz she just ignores me most the time.. Its age.. pretty sure it is..

I think once you teach them some commands they listen.. she is half way through sit.. but we start puppy obedience classes next week so will let you know if we learn anything!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
If he won't listen to your voice then you need to be ready to back it up physically. I don't mean beat the snot out of him but if you need to give a quick scruff shake or a light swat on the rear to get your point across then so be it. One good correction is worth a thousand ineffective ones. Yelling, fussing, etc when he isn't paying attention just teaches him to ignore you. Give one vocal correction and then back it up physically if need be. If you make an impression you can bet that the next time you give that vocal correction he will pay attention.

If you have trouble catching him then let him drag a light long leash around so that you can get ahold of him if you need to.

Hyperactivity is somewhat normal with puppies. If you are giving adequate exercise and he won't settle down then there is nothing wrong with putting a leash on him and enforcing a 'settle down' at your feet or in his bed. Teach him that he can chill out and doesn't have to run around like a loon all the time. Sometimes loony behavior is funny and I'll participate but if I want to just hang out or take a nap I expect the dogs to respect that and be calm.

Olivia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts