Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lil pups belly is huge, bigger than i remember bellas being. Its the widest part of her body! Its so big that it touches her private part sometimes. So after she potties the wet hair touches her belly and then she smells! Is it normal for a 7 week old to have a BIIIIIIG belly, and when i say big i mean huge! She only weighs 1 lb 1 oz
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
Big belly

I have always known a bloated looking belly to mean the pup has worms. Has she been wormed? :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes she was wormed at the vet on wednesday... so 1 week ago... maybe she still has a belly cuz the deworming hasnt taken full affect yet? or does it work immediately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
that is definately it and that requires a DAILY dose of albon for weeks....depending on how severe. Dogs need to be wormed several times also. Be very careful handling the poopie and wash yer hands well :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh good, i thought i just had an abnormally chubby puppy haha. The vet said give her meds for 10 days and then bring in a fecal. So hopefully 10 days will be enough but maybe not! Thanks KBmamma! My pup looks like she could be kemo and bindis long lost relative. hehe. about the washing hands thing, could i transer the disease through my hands to my other dog? And what are the possibilities bella has it too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
I think that worms are fecal-oral so if anyone touches the worms or eggs in her poop than then they may get it. I would bring Bella's poop in for a fecal to test. Follow Vic's advice. Wash your hands. You can transfer worms to yourself! Also, round worms (not sure if this applies to other worms) sometimes are coughed up so if you are letting her lick you on the face or mouth you stand a chance of getting them that way too!! Yuck! Hope her little worm belly goes away soon! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I think that worms are fecal-oral so if anyone touches the worms or eggs in her poop than then they may get it. I would bring Bella's poop in for a fecal to test. Follow Vic's advice. Wash your hands. You can transfer worms to yourself! Also, round worms (not sure if this applies to other worms) sometimes are coughed up so if you are letting her lick you on the face or mouth you stand a chance of getting them that way too!! Yuck! Hope her little worm belly goes away soon! :D
I completely agree with all that ... I just wanted to say it was helpful information ... but gross!! I voluteer in a shelter and, even though I wash my hands thoroughly after contact with each dog and I know the risks involved with worms/dogs, the licking thing just completely grossed me out for some reason today. I don't know why. :shock:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
same problem

Now my Yoshi was diagnosed with coccidia and he went on his medicine and his last visit it was negative for coccidia. But now I am wondering the same thing about myself? I had never thought about it before but he is always licking me on my lips and on my mouth?? So I am wondering what the symptoms would be for humans?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: same problem

Yoshismom said:
Now my Yoshi was diagnosed with coccidia and he went on his medicine and his last visit it was negative for coccidia. But now I am wondering the same thing about myself? I had never thought about it before but he is always licking me on my lips and on my mouth?? So I am wondering what the symptoms would be for humans?? :)

ME TOO!!! anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look what i found!


Can People or Other Pets Become Infected?

While there are species of coccidia that can infect people (Toxoplasma and Cryptosporidium, for example), the Isospora species of dogs and cats are not infective to people. Other pets may become infected from exposure to infected fecal matter but it is important to note that this is usually an infection of the young (i.e. the immature immune system tends to let the coccidia infection reach large numbers where the mature immune system probably will not.) In most cases, the infected new puppy or kitten does not infect the resident adult animal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
I can't remember exactly what our vet said but she said something like she didn't know the exact symptoms of round worm infections because the human is not a normal host for these worms. Normal symptoms for dogs is diarrhea, vomiting...etc. Maybe it's the same with humans?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
The infections stage of roundworms for humans is the larval stage. Visceral larval migrans/Occular migrans it the dangerous type that embeds in GI tissue and rarely the eye which can cause serious problems. It is rare that humans are infected with the larval stage simply because at this stage they are usually still inside the host. The only way they can be brought up is by vomitting.

With regards to coccidia, canine coccidia (Isospora Canis) is species specific as was mentioned, so don't worry about catching it.

I've been licked by many a puppy, and have never gotten roundworms. =)

-Nate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
ilovesadie said:
LOL yeah it is gross. That's why I dont let Sadie lick me on the face becuase she LOVES to eat poop! :pukeright: Soo gross!! But, Nate let's Sadie and Ritz lick him all over. Bleh!
:lol: :lol: Know what you mean. When Jasmine was on her poop eating binge, I wouldn't let her lick me in the face either. :lol: Now that she is thankfully past that, I'm not quite so particular. I still draw the line at letting her lick me in the mouth though - heaven knows where that tongue has been recently! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
chimom said:
ilovesadie said:
LOL yeah it is gross. That's why I dont let Sadie lick me on the face becuase she LOVES to eat poop! :pukeright: Soo gross!! But, Nate let's Sadie and Ritz lick him all over. Bleh!
:lol: :lol: Know what you mean. When Jasmine was on her poop eating binge, I wouldn't let her lick me in the face either. :lol: Now that she is thankfully past that, I'm not quite so particular. I still draw the line at letting her lick me in the mouth though - heaven knows where that tongue has been recently! :lol:
Yeah, unfortunately Sadie still LOVES poop! Maybe Ritz does too....I never know who it is. I just find little crumbles of poop on my stairs almost every morning! :roll: Despite that, Nate still lets Sadie lick him near the mouth, on the lips, in the mouth, wherever!! YUCK!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top