Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 6 week old puppy chi with some what of an attitude problem. Whenever we try to pick him up he gets vicious. He has a bad anger problem he's never been abused. How do i go about getting him to not be vicious with myself and my family? I can't continue to have him biting. All he wants to do is play bite when hes down on the floor but if you pick him up he wants to viciously bite. How do i train him to not be vicious when we pick him up?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
How long have you had him? I ask because 6 weeks is usually a bit young for a chi to be away from his/her momma. His agression could have something to do with that if he was removed from momma too early and didn't receive proper socialization from her.

Also, you might want to mention his aggression the next time you're at the vet's office. He could be tender around his belly or have some bloating that makes it uncomfortable to be picked up.

Most dogs that "attack" in the manner you're describing are acting out of Fear Aggression. Seeing as how he's so young, he may not feel comfortable in your home yet and picking him up frightens him. One of my training books says to avoid rewarding this behavior by ignoring it. Do not punish him for the aggression as it will frighten him, making him even more aggressive.

Additionally, it says to avoid playing aggressive games with the dog like tug-of-war and other little games were you're encouraging the dog to be aggressive. Of course, he's a puppy and he's going to have a little aggressive play but you might want to watch how much he's getting in.

If the pup is sleeping in your room with you or in your bed, you may want to try crate training. It's possible he's trying to gain dominance, although I don't know if he really would be at that young of an age. Make sure you don't do or give anything to him before everyone else does it. For example: walking through doors, eating, greeting everyone in the home when you return, etc. If the dog is always last in line, he will learn that he is not in charge - you are. That may help in getting his aggression down.

I would suggest training classes but he's too young for them right now. But if the aggression keeps up, you and the pup would both probably benefit from them.

Talking to your vet is always the first choice though. If it's a medical problem that's bothering him, the vet can diagnose and treat it. If it's a psychological thing, the vet can also give you tips on how to help.

I hope this helps a bit... Good luck with your little one and I can't wait to see pics! :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm really curious about the situation he came from. How old was he when he was removed from his mom and the litter? 6 weeks is definitely too young. I hate to say this but if it were me I'd demand a refund or a different puppy from where ever you got him from. He is probably going to be more than a handful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got Champ when he was 4 weeks old. His mother couldn't keep them because they were moving away. They needed the money and I needed a puppy. Champ's apart of the family now we couldn't see taking him back for a new puppy. We've all come to love Champ, we're just looking for some understanding in his temper and how to get it under control.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ok. Glad to hear you are committed to the pup. It is so hard to "see" a dog's behavior over the internet (fear signals, aggression signals, etc.) so that makes it really hard to give advice. I would be afraid of giving you advice on dominance aggression if it may be fear aggression your dog hasor visa versa.

Are there any really good animal behaviorists in your area? If you don't know, I can sure try to find out for you. I think you do need a professional to come and see the dog in person. That's what I would do and have actually done that. I thought my dog Ginger (terrier mix) was trying to KILL my first Chihuahua. Turns out it was just really over excited play and it was very easily remedied. So glad I spent the money on it. It was the best $100 bucks I've ever spent!

Good luck and hopefully someone will come along with something helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...Maybe I can try to better describe the way he acts. Champ is a very playful and loveable pup. But to pick him up he's vicous, he gets very vocal showing his teeth growling, and when we pick him up he goes bisurk bitting at us, trying to wiggle free, vicously growling at us attacking our hands. Champ isn't afraid of anything by far. The best way for me to descirbe to you the way he acts is like taking a meating bone from him. Thats the reaction we get out of Champ if we pick him up.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
They say 95% of all cats don't like to be held. Maybe 5% of dogs don't like it either :?: :?:

Are you standing when you hold him or are you sitting on the floor? It might be something as simple as an altitude problem. OR maybe you've got smells on your clothes (your laundry detergent, etc) that he doesn't like. Or it could go as far as true aggression of some kind.

The vet is the one to talk to, definitely. He can thoroughly evaluate him much better than we can and give you suggestions. He's such a young puppy and was taken too early from his momma and siblings - this may be a job for a behaviorist as well, as Bijou said. Speaking as a person who actually as a shrink for her kitty, I recommend it if you can't fix the problem through working with the vet and possibly obedience training later.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Wow, it really does sound like there could be some sort of physical problem that's causing him pain or extreme discomfort when picked up. Has your vet ruled out any possible medical problem?

that's all i can think of too , why he would behave like that :? it's def not normal

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I think he is demonstrating dominant behavior probably because he's spoiled. You pick him up at a time when he really doesn't want to be held and he's objecting. I'm the only one on here, i think, who really likes a rotten dog, lol, but you probably just need to show him who's the boss by reminding him he is tiny and you are mighty. When Jolie gets aggressive like that (as she often does) i have a special "tone" i use. But if she still ignores me, sometimes i hold her over my head to get her attention while i speak to her with the "no no" stuff. If she's really wound up, i give her time out for about 3-5 minutes in her crate and THAT always works.
Lol,,i have to admit,,,no,,,never mind..ya'll will just think i'm weird(er) :shock:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
when a pup behaves like that , without being in pain , it has serious issues :? wich may develop in serious problem behaviour .
you can never allow him to be in control !

my three chi's are spoilt rotten too , but have NEVER growled at me and i would be in serious shock if they did , it's just totally unacceptable

you have to regain your status as an alpha , or his behaviour may become worse

but forst i would have him checked out by a vet :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Just wanted to wish you well with getting your little one under control...you have received some really good advice and I hope you find a solution real soon...your puppy is so cute !

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Have any of you ever seen a litter of puppies playing where one, just for no reason jumps on another, growling and snarling (sometimes before it even has teeth)? It's just puppy behavior and a pecking order thing. The puppy just needs to know who the boss is. He does not have serious issues. He's just a baby who hasn't learned his place yet in the home. He'll learn. Allie would chew off my fingers and toes when she was little and as a grown dog (even by the time she was 4-5 mos old) would never, ever put a tooth on the momma or anybody else.

Day before yesterday, i saw this home health patient for the first (and last) time and she introduced me to her 2 mixed breed babies. The hubby and she were so proud and i could clearly see that these dogs were their "babies". Anyway, one of the dogs was sitting in the lady's lap and the hubby demonstrated what happens if he tries to kiss his wife. "Baby" leaped up and bit him on the side of the face! They both laughed because any other time baby loves daddy, just not when he's sitting in momma's lap. They find this amusing and endearing, i'm sure most of you would not. But baby has learned from them that this behavior is ok, so there ya go...Baby isn't psycho, he has been taught that he's the boss and is exercising that right.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
when you pick an animal up off the floor that is a dominant behaviour, sounds to me like little one is not liking you as alpha.

how are you showing that you are alpha? do you give him dominant down time? can you put your hands in his bowl and take it away from him while eating? can you take a bone away from him? does he just act liek that when you pick him up??

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
JOLIE'SMOM said:
Here's my 2 cents. I think he is demonstrating dominant behavior probably because he's spoiled. You pick him up at a time when he really doesn't want to be held and he's objecting. I'm the only one on here, i think, who really likes a rotten dog, lol, but you probably just need to show him who's the boss by reminding him he is tiny and you are mighty. When Jolie gets aggressive like that (as she often does) i have a special "tone" i use. But if she still ignores me, sometimes i hold her over my head to get her attention while i speak to her with the "no no" stuff. If she's really wound up, i give her time out for about 3-5 minutes in her crate and THAT always works.
Lol,,i have to admit,,,no,,,never mind..ya'll will just think i'm weird(er) :shock:
OMG... I just got the most HILARIOUS visual of you holding Jolie above your head and her piddlin' in your face!!! :sign5:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Cooper said:
JOLIE'SMOM said:
OMG... I just got the most HILARIOUS visual of you holding Jolie above your head and her piddlin' in your face!!! :sign5:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

She wouldn't dare! :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JOLIE'SMOM said:
This is the best advice that I've recieved because that's exactly how Champ acts. He's fine with being picked up, but if we pick him up and he's ready to "explore" then he goes nuts. I really don't think Champ is in any pain because he loves to cuddle picking him up isn't always a problem just when he has his mind set on being down on the floor.

·
Registered
974 Posts
When I first got Char, he had an attitude problem ... I *think*. Anyway, I remember there was some issue, otherwise I wouldn't have done what I'm about to say. :dontknow:

My vet told showed me how to "hold" Charley down when he was being a bad boy to show I'm the alpha dog. It was easy to do then since Charley was so small .... I would take both of his legs in my hand and lay him on his side and essentially "pin" him down until he stopped wiggling or basically until he went into submission. :salute:

I didn't hurt him at all, just showed him that I was boss and he wasn't. He would whine at first, but that's just b/c he didn't like being dominated.

I had to do that for about 3-4 months. I'm not sure exactly when I stopped doing it to tell you the truth. But it worked!! He doesn't fear me, still loves me 100%, but knows I'm the boss. 8)

In fact, now that I think about it, he gets into this "submissive" position any time he's around another dog that he wants to like him. He will roll over on his side and look up at the dog as though saying "See? I'm being submissive, I'm a good boy! Now will you play with me?" He does this with my parents 2 dogs and with the cocker spaniel that lives in my condo complex.

Anyway ... you've gotten a lot of really good advice from everyone ... surely one of our "tricks" will work for you too!

:flower:

·
Registered
718 Posts
JOLIE'SMOM said:
I'm the only one on here, i think, who really likes a rotten dog, lol
Don't worry, you're not the only one!! I kind of like my dogs to be little rascals...it's no fun if they're always good!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Alli said:
JOLIE'SMOM said:
I'm the only one on here, i think, who really likes a rotten dog, lol
Don't worry, you're not the only one!! I kind of like my dogs to be little rascals...it's no fun if they're always good!! :lol:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The rest of you out there don't frown at me, but some of the funnest, most entertaining times in my memory of Tiffany or any of my others, were things that the dog did because she was untrained and bossy. It's one of the things that made me love her so very much and it's so hard to explain! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts