Chihuahua People Forum banner

Puppy classes/Obedience School

844 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  sonny's mama 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide which will be best for Piper and Gizmo. I've decided that I'm not comfortable that they don't always come to me when I call them. I remember training my Dalmation with this same trainer, and her explaining that being able to make your dog stop on command is the most important command that your dog know. (In case they are running at a moving car, etc.) She can do either group or private lessons, and the price difference is minimal. But from what I've seen, most dog classes are filled with really BIG dogs, and Gizmo is sorta a wimp, so I'm worried that he will be too afraid to relax and learn. Plus we'll be dealing with Piper's first heat cycle at any time now.

On the other hand, the socialization is what they would miss out on, and I know how important that is too.

For those that have done classes already, especially those that learned with a class, how did your dogs do?

#2 ·
Haven't taken Jasmine for any sort of training yet, and I would really like to. Unfortunately, the closest classes I have found are about an hours drive away from me. I live in a relatively small town. Both my granddaughter and I have tried doing some training with her at home - the sit - stay - come - leave it, etc. Basic commands, but we haven't made a lot of progress. Like you, I am mostly concerned with the obedience as a safety precaution. I just keep checking around here occasionally hoping to find a good trainer. I would probably opt for the classes, just because of the socialization aspect if I find some classes closer by me.

#3 ·
We tried few classes, but we had no luck. Richie was the smallest dog in the group at that time and he just couldn't participate in everything. We also had a"personal trainer" once, but the lady was smoking non-stop and was quit harsh to him, I mean that was too much in my opinion. I guess, in our country this kind of things are just not well-developed yet, but good luck, it might be very helpful!

Richie's mom

#4 ·
i'm trying to decide what i want to do with chiwi as far as training. she isn't big on other dogs and i am very paranoid with her cause she isn't even 2 pounds yet at 4 months old. i know that she nees to be socialized so she isn't aggressive with other dog's but i can't get passed the thought of her getting hurt by one...

#5 ·
I think if you choose a class, you just need to observe it before you hand over any money. Somewhere else on the site I posted a puppy class nightmare I saw where a big puppy terrorized a little one. Search for Petsmart Training and I bet you can find it if you're interested in what happened. It's too long to retell.

Personally if I could afford private over group, I'd do that, then just let them get their socialization in other ways. On the other hand, I've read some posts here where people say the have access to classes with all small dogs - I'd love that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.