Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was just reading the other thread on bathing, does this go for pups too? i always thought every 3 months?
My little boy chi is 14 weeks, can i bath him once or twice a week?

Also a question on feeding.. He has 3 meals a day 7am, 1pm & 7pm.
He is on dry food and i give him a small hand full each time. He used to fiddle about and not really eat it all and his bowl was always left down. However now he is eating all of it each time so there is no food down inbetween. Is this ok or should there always be food available for him as he's so young?
I dont want to over feed him as i know weight issues in chi's can cause huge problems..

thank you

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I didnt bathe Darla straight away, but some people do i think.
I think once a month is fine, gets them used to it early enough after they settle.
As far as feeding i fed and still do feed Darla 4 times a day, and at set times and dont leave it down inbetween.
She gets the odd treat now and then of course, for training and just well because, lol
Unless puppy has low blood sugar i wouldnt worry about there being no food inbetween.
Some people free feed too leaving food out all the time, but my wee Darla is greedy and would eat it all in one go. ha!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I got Jake at 9 1/2 weeks and followed the guide on the feed package. I fed James Wellbeloved for puppies and looking at their guide I split the amount into three feeds.

However Jake has never been a greedy dog and my worry was he was not eating the recomended amount as he never ate it all up.. I only left the food down for 30 min and picked it up though sometimes I forgot.

What I recall is thinking he will eat what he needs and as long as he is not underweight and is fit and healthy then that's okay.

He always had a chubby stomach and at his last weigh in at 8 months old he was 7lb.

Deme

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
i bathed all my dogs straight after i got them and now every 1 to 2 weeks.

i wouldnt leave food down all day as it will make him a fussy eater.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got Bella when she was 13 weeks old, she pooped in her cage on the way home and was covered in it, so she got a bath about 2 hours after I got her, lol. She was just fine.

Bella gets fed 1/4 cup of food twice a day, she inhales it, and pretty much never chews any of it (which I hate, but there is no stopping her). If we left it down all day, she would be ridiculously obese.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts