Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next couple months I am going to have to switch Bosco from puppy food to adult food. Right now, him and Lola eat puppy food out of the same dish. In a way I'd like to keep it that way just to continue making them non-food agressive. Sooo my question is, would it hurt Lola at 6 months of age to begin eating dog food -OR- would it hurt Bosco to eat puppy food until about 1.5 years old? Is one way better then the other, or are both BAD and I should not even consider doing this?

Any opinions?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You know there are so many different opinions out there on puppy verses adult dog food. I have had Chloe on puppy food for her entire life. I will always keep her on it, because of her tiny size. I spoke to my vet about it, and because Chihuahuas are such small dogs, and they use so many calories, it does not hurt to keep them on puppyfood. If a Chi is older and less active I would use the Adult Food. A Chi is not even considered an "Adult" untill atleast one year. So, it would be fine to keep them both on the Puppy Food. I even feed Chloe extra calories at night. I buy these "meat rolls" by, "Natual Balance". They just love this stuff! :lol: It has kind of a smoked smell and they just go nuts for it :D

"SIGH"......how we spoil our babies...... :lol:

Sandra

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bindi eats puppy dry but not the dog food roll and I heard it really makes no diff, if its good quality--I had originally wanted to keep her on Kemo's dry but both she and he like the puppy better!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Thanks!! I love it too!

the dog food roll I mentioned is Natural Balance but my two if its not FRESH fuss with it so I have to but the "nugget" ones- so talk about spoiled :roll:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have had Chloe on puppy food for her entire life. I will always keep her on it, because of her tiny size. I spoke to my vet about it, and because Chihuahuas are such small dogs, and they use so many calories, it does not hurt to keep them on puppyfood.

That is so true that is why I have keeped all mine on puppy food as well!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My vet said that the puppy food could cause the adult to get a little over weight.
If Bosco isn't getting pudgy on the puppy food, then leave them on it if you want too.

What I was going to do is start mixing the puppy and adult food together. Sandy will be 1 year in February and Koke will be 1 year in June.
Then in June I will just give them adult food.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
yes I ws told same by my vet If i kept Daytona on Puppy food it would cause him to put on weight. he is at standard now. It was hard at first with pup and him. one on puppy food he on adult. Since i didnt want him over wieght I allowed the pup to eat some adult food with her pup food she decided she liked his better lol so she went to adult food at 5 months along with supplements to make sure she was getting what was required as a pup.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The breeder I got Kismet from recommended I keep her on puppy food for the rest of her life. She says it healthier for them :dontknow: . I would leave Bosco on it until Lola is old enough to switch w/ him.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Vets recommend to switch to adult food between 10-12 months, or sooner if they think that weight gain is a concern. Ritz is on adult food at 6 months, and is perfectly healthy with a normal growth pattern. The only time I would consider giving an adult dog puppy food is if it is pregnant, or if it is severly underweight, but even then I would not feed it puppy food exclusively.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I switched Auggie to adult food at about 10 months and he seemed to eat better. Before he was always eating a certain food then getting turned off of it. He hasn't done that at all with adult food. :roll:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I was told that puppy food is extra rich and shouldnt be used for more than a year even in a Chihuahua. If I were you I would let them both eat adult and give Lola extra supplements :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts