Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
so I new to the forum and also to chihuahuas. I recently picked up my chi puppy 2 days ago almost 10 weeks old and so far everything’s been great except for one issue.He’s scared of meeting new people. He does great with me my sister, mom and niece but anyone new he growls at when they try to pet him. it took 2 days with 30min meeting for him to let me other sister pet him and he still isn’t ok with her husband petting him. What finally worked was I just picked him up and handed him over. He trembled and was scared but after a bit relaxed and then started licking her and then he ended up falling asleep on her. now he’ll go up to her and she can pet him no issues. I’m just wondering is this how I’m suppose to introduce him to new people just hand him over and let him get over it?We tried treats and he would take him and then run off same thing with toys. He wasn’t like this at his breeders house and he’s parents were super friendly. I’ve never had a chi before but all my other puppies I have had have never had issues with strangers. Please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone!
so I new to the forum and also to chihuahuas. I recently picked up my chi puppy 2 days ago almost 10 weeks old and so far everything’s been great except for one issue.He’s scared of meeting new people. He does great with me my sister, mom and niece but anyone new he growls at when they try to pet him. it took 2 days with 30min meeting for him to let me other sister pet him and he still isn’t ok with her husband petting him. What finally worked was I just picked him up and handed him over. He trembled and was scared but after a bit relaxed and then started licking her and then he ended up falling asleep on her. now he’ll go up to her and she can pet him no issues. I’m just wondering is this how I’m suppose to introduce him to new people just hand him over and let him get over it?We tried treats and he would take him and then run off same thing with toys. He wasn’t like this at his breeders house and he’s parents were super friendly. I’ve never had a chi before but all my other puppies I have had have never had issues with strangers. Please help!
The proper way to hand a chi to someone is butt first, this way they don't get startled by staring into an unknown human face. Makes cuddling a little easier also.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sometimes, the only way they'll learn is if you push them outside their comfort zone a little (but not too much at once, because that can traumatize them). Sounds like you're doing a good job.

Cuddles has always been afraid of strangers, but luckily she doesn't growl at them. She just runs away. But if I hold her up to them, she is often okay with them petting her. I think maybe some Chis get nervous, because we are so much bigger than them.

Cuddles has been afraid of strangers since I got her. In fact, the very first time I picked her up, she was shaking in my arms. But she warmed up rather quickly to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are the most difficult dog breed on the planet. On the contrary, they are very cute and loyal to their owners. They like to eat alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts