Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She lunges, whines, barks, growls...when she sees another dog while we are on-leash. I know she is not aggressive towards other dogs in general and is just SUPER excited and wants to meet the dog but I don't want her to meet another dog in that state of mind. It's similar when she sees another person, without the barking and growling. I know I still need to take her to basic obedience but is there anything else I can do aside from that for now?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If she is just excited and not scared or aggressive, i would try and distract her. Have you taught 'watch me' or similar? It is a great tool for getting the dog to concentrate on you and not what is going on around her. I would use 'watch me' and turn around and walk away from the dog. Only walk in that direction when she is calm and listening to you.
Going out for lots of little walks rather than one big, exciting walk will also help. Always carry really yummy treats, preferably ones she only gets at times like these, so you can get her attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts