Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me sone advice as to how best to transport my pupy in the car. She is till ony about 1 lb 2 oz, so quite tiny, and I don't think any of the seat belt harnesses are small enough for her.
I could put her in her crate,but I am worried that will not be safe.

·
Registered
448 Posts
so as he gets in the car he instantly falls asleep, and he's rode probably close to 1000 miles in the last couple of days and doesnt move an inch when in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
In any case, it isnt safe to have a dog loose in the car, just as it isnt safe to have a child loose. It doesnt matter that the dog doesnt move or distract the driver, in the event of an accident, the dog would be shot through a windscreen or at the very least become many times heavier than its actual weight due to G force and sustain terrible injuries. It just isnt responsible to let a dog be left loose in your car, whilst it is in motion. It is also against the law.

In answer to your question, I always put Poppy in her car seat harness, but when she was tiny, I put her in her crate surrounded by blankets and then secured the crate with the two back seat belts going under and around it.
Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I also have seatbelts that attach to their harnesses. I also bought a doggie car seat. They can see outside but are secure enough to be safe and out of my lap. (Even though I do let them ride in my lap it is very unsafe!)

You might also want to buy a dog carrier and use that. Just use something that will keep your little one from flying off onto the floor if you need to stop quickly or god forbid you get into an accident.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When mine were too little for seat belts, they rode like Poppy, in a crate secured by a seat belt. I used a pillow in the crate to cushion any impact and always put them in the back away from the airbags.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone, it seems like my best option for the moment is to put her in her crate, well padded, and attache the seat belts.
When she grows bigger I will get a seat belt attachment for her. I have them for all my dogs,but she is so tiny I can't find one to fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts