Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a dog have problems (behavioral, learning, etc.) if it came from a puppy mill? My fiance and I have suspected that Ryan, his Mini Dachshund, was a puppy mill baby from what we were told about the "breeder" he came from.

Ryan has some real behavioral problems and we're not sure what else we can do. We've bought tons of books, read articles on the net, and tried tons of things, but it seems like nothing helps. My mother and I were wallpapering our kitchen here yesterday for about 5 hours and today, Ryan had somehow ripped a great deal of the paper down. I can't stress how much we've tried to help him. There are no obedience trainers within a three-hour drive from where we are and we're at our wits end here. My sister wants him if we decide to sell him to her, but we really hate feeling like we've given up on the little guy. Just wondering if there was some type of link to the potential puppy mill or not. I know he isn't a Chi and this post has nothing to do with them, but still thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Yes they can, but usually it's a trust issue. Like being afraid of people and not confining them to small areas.

Chewing on the wall paper I'd say is a boredom issue.
You didn't say what else he was doing that you think is a problem.
Can you find ways to keep him entertained when you or your boyfriend can't watch him?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ms_P said:
You didn't say what else he was doing that you think is a problem. Can you find ways to keep him entertained when you or your boyfriend can't watch him?
Well, he closed off the entire kitchen for him with baby gates and he's got just about every toy imaginable: Nylabones, stuffed animals, ropes, squeaky toys, squeaky plushes, balls, blankies, etc. He leaves the TV in the room on for him while he's at work so he'll have some noise.

Ryan is becoming really destructive. Aside from the wallpaper issue, we've had problems with him biting--me in particular. At times, he gets entirely too rough with Josie (her eye was bleeding one day). His housetraining was going great, but sometimes he decides to rebel. Like, he'll sniff all over the puppy pad and then look right at us and go next to it, never losing eye contact. And he knows when he's done something wrong because he takes that opportunity to pout and cry and cuddle.

We don't want to give up on him, but we don't know what to do. Really, any advice at all is both needed and appreciated.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It sounds a lot like a socialization issue, both within his litter and with humans in general. It also sounds like boredom - doxies are pretty active little guys and need a lot of attention, much like a chi. They love to have "jobs" and they love to explore. You may try enrolling the pup in agility courses (you'd have to do obedience first) - doxies really love agility, from what I understand.

Also, try a kong with the pup... try giving him what trainers call "puzzle toys" where he has to figure out how to work the toy in order to play with it. Kongs and other treat ball toys are great for that.

If he's biting, he's not sure where his place is in the household and in the pack. Try more rigid routines with him - feed him last (i.e. feed yourself, then him and Josie - you may even want to feed Josie first before him), don't let him out the door first when you go out (make him wait until everyone else, including yourself, as gone through the door) and if you're giving treats, make him wait for his just a short while. In a pack situation, the head honcho rules the food and the lower ranks wait... that usually helps to define your roll in relation to his.

You may be overwhelming him with toys during the day and he's probably sleeping anyway, so I'd leave a kong or two laying around and a few chew toys but not a large number of things.

Lots of exercise is also important for doxies. Play ball, take a walk, whatever you can do to get the guy some exercise and he'll probably calm down a lot in the house.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I completely agree with everything Cooper's mom says. My daughter and her family have 3 mini-doxies, and while they are small dogs, they seem to require a lot of exercise - much more than our chis really.

Fortunately, they have a large fenced back yard, with covered pool area with a doggie door from the pool area to the backyard. All three stay in the pool area when they are at work or not home. They have paddle fans out there and the patio area is covered by a roof, so they are able to have shelter from the sun and rain. These dogs do a LOT of running, believe me. They have little trails in the backyard in the grass where they constantly run back and forth during the day.

They range in age from 4 years to 1 year and all are females. When they were leaving them in the house, they got very destructive - digging up carpet, holes in the couch cushions, pillows torn up, etc.

If you don't have a fenced yard where they can get exercise, take him for long walks at least twice a day if possible. Play fetch or frisbee - any game where he is getting lots of exercise is good.

I would also suggest some training classes if at all possible.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.