Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I could use a 2/3/4/etc opinion on this pet store I've been going to. I think they may be buying from puppy mills.

To be honest it wasn't until last time I went to the store 2 days ago that there were even puppies in the cage it's always been empty there I have never seen them there before. I do know for sure that they always have kittens, I assumed that they were from people who didn't want the kittens or from a shelter. Do kitten mills exist i really hope not I'm kicking myself for not asking that earlier.

Anyways I always shop at this pet store it's close to my house with decent prices, but I noticed the other day that there were 2 JR puppies and a Jug pup in a giant cage. There is only one cage it's big, well kept (they always are though) yada yada yada, you know the pet store lie.

Anyways, I asked a worker where the pups come from he said local breeders I asked if he had paper work from the breeders he said yes as well as vet records, the pups do come with shots etc so for a moment I was appeased but it really didn't sit well with me. So pretending that I was interested in a puppy I asked another worker if they had breeder references or paper work and guess what she said nope, but they did have vet records etc.

Here's the thing, as far as I know the only pet shop in my town that has mill dogs has been closed down (thank god!) I also know that there aren't any mills in my area -that is at least that our local rescue groups are aware of. *fingers crossed*

Heres the thing that gets me..this is a huge store with plenty of room to sell many different puppies but they don't they had three and apparently rarely have them I know I would have noticed puppies in that cage before I take Lincoln there and he would have b-lined it for the cage if he heard dogs.

Have you heard of irresponsible breeders dumping unwanted pups at stores like this? It's not a big chain. Would you take your business elsewhere? I walked out without buying anything..

So theres my mile long speech what do you all think?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Personally I would not give them my business. I don't shop at stores that sell puppies. I prefer to give my money to stores that work with rescue groups and don't sell the impulse purchases that pet stores do. They prey on people's poor judgement. Someone goes in to get a bag of dog food, sees a cute puppy, falls in love with it and buys it (for a very inflated price). Then, since it wasn't a thought out purchase, they often dump it a couple months later when it's not working out (chewing things, being destructive, hyper, unexpected vet bills, trouble potty training, barking, etc).

A reputable breeder would NEVER sell to a pet store. That is the short answer.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I will not shop at a store that sells puppies either. Most of the time no matter what they say, the pups do come from Mills. The Mills do not have to nec. come from your area either. I agree with Tracy... I always worry about any breeder that would sale a pup through a pet shop anyways...they seem to not care what happens to the puppy..shady

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd not shop there anymore either. We have a place locally that takes in unwanted litters of cats. I don't think they so much do it anymore though. Ages ago they took in puppies but must have stopped when all the puppy mill stuff was going on. The store where I shop now usually has a couple cats from one of the local humane societies. They house them there (because it gets a lot of traffic) but the adoptions are through the humane societies. I think it's wonderful when stores get involved with rescues & such & this store totally does. When they semi recently took in 22 dogs they put together a basket of goodies worth $150 & sold raffle tickets. 100% went to the care of the dogs.

Anyway, I'd not want to support that store myself. Like what was mentioned...no responsible breeder would sell their pups to/at a pet store. :(

·
Registered
355 Posts
If they're selling puppies in a retail environment, they are getting them from a mill, a backyard breeder or a broker. What happens if one of the puppies has a problem in the middle of the night? They wait until store opening, if they survive that long. Pet stores that sell puppies should be boycotted and shut down, IMHO.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Often stores will get "shipments" of puppies, there does not need to be a mill in the area. Some puppies arrive dead and they chuck them out with the garbage and throw the live ones in the cage. No halfway decent breeder would let their puppies go to a pet store,period. So the puppies do come from a mill, as sad as that is, and I would stop shopping there otherwise, as to not support that kind of business. Puppy Mills and Pet Stores are experts at convincing you there are no problems or anything shady going on.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed I am boycotting the store. Has anyone heard of kitten mills?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if possibly the pups came from a humane society? Sometimes they ask stores, vets etc to take some of their dogs to show for adoption? But if these pups had papers etc, I too would think they were mill dogs. Sue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts