Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Hamburgers......Was pretty much all I could say when I arrived home from work to find the throw pillows from my couch reduced to stuffing.

The cute little puppy who looked like she was at deaths doorstep 4 days after spay surgery suddenly turned into the Tasmanian Devil today. Someone please remind me why getting a puppy is a better idea than an adult dog (lol)....cause right now I'm not feeling it. So I walk in the house and Zsa Zsa is actually on the floor napping amongst the stuffing (like are you kidding), I was speechless...she looks up at me with these huge brown eyes and her tail wagging 1000 strokes a second, I swear the the look on her face was was that of the proud preschooler who'd just made her first macaroni necklace, like "SURPRISE mommy.....look what I made for you." And wheres Eggz (the adult of the bunch who's suppose to teach the new girl the ropes)? Nestled under the covers on my bed, oblivious to everything (is that just a guy thing? lol....I'm kidding ).

I really hate to do this, but I think Zsa Zsa may have created days in her future. Anyone else have any ideas. They got two baskets full of toys which she pulls out and plays with frequently so I know she's know theyre there and can get to them. Perhaps the pillows put up more of a fight ..I dunno. Anyone have any ideas and suggestions for surviving puppyhood. The pillows werent terribly expensive (I shop at Marshalls hehe), but still I don't want to keep replacing them, and now that they're gone what will she set her sights on next.

·
Registered
768 Posts
uhhhh oooooo!! Naughty puppy!!!! have u thought about keeping her in a puppy pen whilst u at work or keeping her in a area of the house where she cant distroy anything?
When mine were puppys i kept them in the hall way of my flat, so they couldnt go in my lounge but they had the whole run of the hallway to play, they had their cage door left open with a fluffy bed in it and they had their pee pad in the bathroom that they can go use when they needed! that worked for me when i was at work and my mind was at ease knowing they wasnt going to be getting up to mischief! and i didnt feel bad because they had lots of room to run about and play still :)
Hope u find something that works!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol ut oh! She's still a pup so she'll still learn! Funny how Zsa Zsa was laying in the stuffing all proud! HA! Silly dogs! Hopefully she learns so she doesn't have to be crated but she just may have to be in the beginning until she fully understands!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Chico did the same thing but with 2 rolls of toilet paper.... there was toilet paper hanging from the curtain rods, I have NO idea how that got up there.....lol.... and he was still rolling on the floor, flipping the paper in the air, when I opened the door.......lol.. he was a puppy and has never done anything similar since...

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/P4270236.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/P4270238.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/P4270237-1.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/P4270232.jpg
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/jan896/Chico Pics/P4270230.jpg

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would say crate. Just because you crate her when she is a puppy going through crazy puppy chewing stages doesn't mean you have to crate her for the rest of her life. I always crate my dogs until they are around 1 year or more old (depending on the maturity level of the pup). It not only keeps my house safe but it keeps the dog safe. It also helps hugely with housetraining! If they are chewers and destroyers, like Zsa Zsa seems to be, they can not only tear up the stuff but they can sometimes ingest some of what they destroy. Doesn't mean they are actively eating the stuffing but if some of the chewed stuff goes down into her stomach it could be dangerous. Could cause an impaction in her intestines or it could be toxic (I know that stuffing that is treated to be fire resistant is toxic).

·
Registered
285 Posts
I made my kitchen puppy safe and when I had to go out, the girls would go in there. They had a bed, toys, water and a pee pad.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, a crate is the answer, or confined to a space where she can do no damage. When I have a puppy, I put two huge crates together, end to end, with bed, food, water, toys in one end and puppy pad/newspapers in the other end. Works great. They're babies and we have to protect them from themselves! Had to smile at the image of the pillow stuffing scattered all over and the puppy napping right in the middle. :eek:)

Jeanette

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yes confining to a smaller space that is puppy-proof, whether it be her crate or pen. And good luck. You'll look back in a couple years in disbelief that she's grown up so quickly! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can home for lunch right now...minimal destruction, but I could tell it was leading up to something grand lol. She chewed the corners off one of the toy baskets, so there are chips of stuff laying about and it seems she's dragged in a good bit of leafy tree branches from out on the patio, they're small but theres a number of them. A quick pass of the vacuum should do away with that. The weather is nice out today, so my piece of mind I think Im going to put her out on the patio for a few hours when I go back to work, I don't know if she'll cause a commotion or not (barking/crying), but I'm sure my neighbors will let me know if she does lol. Wish us luck.

<cherper> I'm totally digging that pen, I think that may work for us.

I though about leaving her in the kitchen, but the only problem is that it directly contradicts the one thing I know she understands now.....the one non-negotiable pet rule in our house is NO ANIMALS IN THE KITCHEN..ever ever ever. SO I think housing/containing her in the kitchen would cause confusion. I could probably use the hallway and the bathroom, Id just have to use multiple baby gates or something cause there are 3 doorways of the hallway that lead to other open ares of the house....it's a strange floor plan.

I think part of the problem is where I adopted her from she was used to someone being at home with her 24/7, and now she's just got the other dog during the day. It's hard to say if it's and issue with separation anxiety or just normal puppy antics

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We used the same pen Cherper suggested when we brought Leo home. It was fabulous, it felt like having a nanny for him :) Anytime he couldnt be supervised he went in his pen. He had a bed, toys, food/water and crate. He never had a single accident in it. Initially we kept it mostly in our master bath on the tile, but then moved it into our master bedroom because he was so good about not soiling his little area that it didnt matter if it was on the carpet.
It really isnt safe for your house/stuff or, more importantly, for your puppy for them to be unsupervised with the run of the house while youre gone. Definitely sounds like she is the kind of puppy to get into things, and would be much better off in a little pen, crate, or small secure area while youre away. Even now when we are gone, only Reese has the run of our house. Our lab, who just turned one, and Miley who will be one at the end of March, are both still crated when we go out despite being housebroken. Ben, our lab, would probably eat the walls, and Miley has a knack for getting into EVERYTHING, and she climbs and jumps around like a little mountain goat. I would never leave her with the run of the house because there is just no telling what she would get into, and frankly nothing would surprise me. I highly recommend the pen, but I also think all puppies should have a crate. They arent cruel as long as youre not confining your pet for excessive amounts of time, and all of my dogs actually like their crates and will voluntarily use them for a nap or quiet place to chew a bully stick. Sounds like you are able to get home to check in on them and let them out to potty over lunch so a crate would work just fine, but if youd rather she have more room to play that pen or one like it would be a great solution. Theyre also highly useful for housebreaking!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Gracie is 8 months, and I wouldn't consider leaving her out for any amount of unsupervised time...She's just too young. She stays in her crate while we're working, it's only for 4-5 hours, and she's just fine. Pedro has free roam of the house, but he's 3 years old, and has more adult mannerisms than Gracie does.

When I was a kid, we had a dachsund pup that bit into the Christmas tree wiring and electrocuted himself. We were in the next room over when he did it.

Gracie is so mischievious and rambunctious, I can't begin to imagine what she would get into if left loose. When she's an adult, I will try it. For now, the crate is the safest place for her.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I totally agree, and have actually always used creates...big giant ones cause Ive always had Danes. Since we got her last Wednesday one or both of us has been home with her, yesterday was the first day she spent any time without a person....and the throw pillows suffered for it lol, today was the corner of the toy basket. I didn't listen to myself when I left back out for work this afternoon and against my better judgment left Zsa zsa with Eggz having free roam of the house.....I didnt know what I'd find when I got home. Surprisingly enough Not a thing was out of place and nothing chewed, just the toys scattered about like normal. We escaped further incident, but You guys are all right...I'm not going to chance it any further. I'm ordering the pen that Cherper suggested, and I bough a baby gate at Target on the way home. So until the pen arrives I'm going to put her in the guest bathroom with the babygate, that way Eggz can still access the hallway to go back and forth between the front room and my bedroom (he sunbathes in there). I'll let you know how the bathroom works out (I'll remember to remove the roll of toilet paper though)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts