Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 4 month old chi girl. We got her at 8weeks old and was paper trained in my parents house with hard wood floors. When she was 10 weeks we moved her into her permanent home, an apartment with carpets (except the kitchen). When we keep her in the kitchen she goes potty exactly where she is supposed to, when we let her put she will pee on the carpet. She gives no warning (like when she needs to poop), she just squats and goes! Recently we purchased the ugodog indoor potty and she uses that fine, but again only when she is in the kitchen. If the gate is unlocked she will run to the carpet and pee. We set up a puppy pad on the carpet area and she was using this for the most part but still decides for no reason to pee on the carpet. Some days she is an angel but recently she even peed on the sofa. We love her to bits but not sure what to try now? We live on the 10th floor, with no garden, we do have a balcony. She has never gone potty outside, even when we take her for long walks. (which we have only been able to do in the last month or so due to the snow and freezing weather) would appreciate any advice.... Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I wish I had advice for you but some of mine do the same. I am lucky in that I have a huge family room that is tiled with a doggy door and they spend the whole day there with me. I do let Gonzo or Smoke into the rest of the house but only with a belly band on. Gonzo never seems to pee with it on, but Smoke does. While the boys seem to only want to mark, Twiggy takes the opportunity to really pee.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
When she does go in the right place,do you give a treat and make a really good fuss of her ? I found this worked for me

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I wish I had advice for you but some of mine do the same.
Even on the furniture?

Have you had her urine checked by the vet? It's possible that there is something wrong causing her to not be able to hold it.

4 months is still a little young to be completely housebroken. Have you tried confining her to the kitchen unless you can really watch her, or tethering her to you with a leash?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep she gets praised and a treat when she goes in the right place, it's like she knows where she should do it and decides 'not today'! She is a little madam! When no1 is around she is confined to the kitchen and she is perfectly fine. It's when we let her out and watching her she does it, like I said there is no warning she just squats and goes! She has been vet checked and everything is fine. She holds it through the night fine and we take her on long trips in the car occasionally (5hours) and i hold her and she never pees on me so i don't think she has any problem holding it. She has only done it on the furniture twice, once on the sofa and once on the bed. When she did it on the bed she jumped onto it and immediately peed...
At what age should she be housebroken?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi, I think its very difficult for dogs of any breed to figure out the 'feel' of the puppy matt to a 'carpet' - they must feel similarly 'soft' to them.
Our entire downstairs is hardwood or slate floors and our Chi puppy has far less accidents downstairs than upstairs where it is all carpet.
Plus you can clean and 'erase' the smell on a hardwood floor whereas its more difficult to on a carpet. If they can pick up the scent from where they wee'd on the carpet last thats another reason why they find it easier to keep going there.
(Another reason could be attention - any attention is better than no attention if you tell her off etc.)
It was the same for our Bull Terrier when she was a puppy and I know a lot of people have experienced the same.
It is very frustrating esp when some dogs just take to it in a day!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wonder if she sees the kitchen as her extended "den" as she spends more of her time there and then sees the other area as an outside area that is okay to use for elimination? I have a spare room that I very rarely use and every once in a while I will find that Paco has gone #2 in there. (I know by size and shape, lol). Fortunately the floors are wood and it's easy to clean up, but somewhat frustrating nonetheless. I just don't think he associates that room with the rest of the house--maybe because the door is usually shut and we are never in there?

I agree with kimr that she is still pretty young to be reliably housetrained. Mine were still starting to get it at that age and still had the occasional accident up to a year old. They are approaching two years now and other than Paco's occasional suprises in the spare room, they have all been very reliable for the past year. One thing to try as she is learning her boundaries, if you haven't already, is when you are not in the kitchen, have her teathered on a leash so that you can quickly pick her up and bring her to the right place when she starts to go without giving her the chance to run and hide. Just a suggestion.

I'm sure she will get it in time... best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts