Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here so I don't know if this has been shared before. This is what I used for a puppy play pen in my kitchen. It cost me $15 and is so much cheaper than dog pens. You can adjust it to whatever size you like. You can find them at stores like Fred Meyer/Kroger, Target, or maybe even Wal-mart. They are in the home organization section. They are storage cubes. Here is a pic with Cricket in her pen.

This is what they are supposed to be used for:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Really good idea! i got my crate from ebay for a third of the price of the ones in pet stores the same size, there was no way i was paying those prices after id just spent a fortune on the pup an all her other bits n pieces!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thats a fab idea.. I got my crate off ebay aswell it was about £15 and is huge.. had to block it all off at first for Daisy as she would use it as a toilet.. now its no problem she just has extra room!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That looks like it would perfect for a puppy! Great job!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks for the link, but i think i misunderstood, I'm after a proper pen like the first poster where the dog can have lots of room, toilet, bed, toys, food etc, not be locked inside a cage. I'm not comfortable with crate training personally but i love the pen idea and that's what we have used before so I'll look for a pen on ebay, that seems to be around £40.

I just love pens as they have tons of room and i don't feel i'm trapping them inside a cage :) but it has all the benefits of somewhere she can choose to go (has a door and her crate type bed AND her fluffy pink bed is in the pen) if she is scared like a den or if we have to go out and leave her unattended. I know it's popular to shut them inside a crate but i just couldn't :(, it hasn't worked for us, we love pens!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the link, but i think i misunderstood, I'm after a proper pen like the first poster where the dog can have lots of room, toilet, bed, toys, food etc, not be locked inside a cage. I'm not comfortable with crate training personally but i love the pen idea and that's what we have used before so I'll look for a pen on ebay, that seems to be around £40.

I just love pens as they have tons of room and i don't feel i'm trapping them inside a cage :) but it has all the benefits of somewhere she can choose to go (has a door and her crate type bed AND her fluffy pink bed is in the pen) if she is scared like a den or if we have to go out and leave her unattended. I know it's popular to shut them inside a crate but i just couldn't :(, it hasn't worked for us, we love pens!
Thats y i got her a really big one, the size for labradors type dogs, its the same size as a pen, the only diff is theres a top to it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Like this one "42" CAGE - Height 787mm (31") Width 711mm (28") Depth 1070mm (42")"

So the floor space is like a pen with 0.7 metres one way and 1.07 metres the other way?

Those are about £38, i thought yours was £20? I can't find a labrador sized one for £20.

That makes sense :), roofs a good idea with our cats around, id like the pen to have a roof as her one in Holland had a roof.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Like this one "42" CAGE - Height 787mm (31") Width 711mm (28") Depth 1070mm (42")"

So the floor space is like a pen with 0.7 metres one way and 1.07 metres the other way?

Those are about £38, i thought yours was £20? I can't find a labrador sized one for £20.

That makes sense :), roofs a good idea with our cats around, id like the pen to have a roof as her one in Holland had a roof.
Mine is 36", which is a large, it was £23. plenty of room for a chihuahua puppy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The playpen I made is 14 inches tall. Works fine if you chi isn't a climber or a jumper.
Thats wat worried me wit playpens i was afraid she wud try jump out of it and push the sides down or something, which i think she mite sometimes wen shes being really impatient for me to let her out it the mornings! so thought better be safe than sorry! but for some pups its prob fine, i was gonna get the playpen from argos cos it was cheaper than crates but then found my crate cheap on ebay.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts