Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello! I am new here and am looking for advice for training my 8 week old chihuahua.
We are trying to start the process of potty training her but the weather outside seems to be to cold for her, she just stands there shakes and whines so we give in and take her back inside. She started off using puppy pads but now she sneaks off and will go on the carpet so we hurry up and pick her up and put her back on the puppy pad. We have her in a crate and play pin all day due to the fact my husband and I work but we check on her on our lunch breaks and she wont use the potty in the pin. We would love to have her go outside but she refuses to. I need advice on what to do!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
When I got Angel it was in February 3 years ago. It was bitter cold and snowy! I couldn't bear to take that little 2pound dog out in it! So I pee pad trained him. After about a year and a half I was tired of having the pad in my tiny downstairs bathroom. So I started training him to go outside! He was already used to going out, partially! I closed the bathroom door and kept a vigilent eye on him. If I saw him walk to the bathroom, I immediately mentioned going outside and he would run to the door. I made a big deal out of it, including treats! That worked out well! But now I am tired of blocking off my stairs. We are not getting any younger and it is dangerous to block the stairs. For some reason he like to potty in the upstairs hallway! So now I have a pad upstairs!:rolleyes: But he still goes outside for the biggest part of his duties!

You just have to be consistent and diligent. When you are home, you may still have to confine him in some way so that he gets the idea not to use the pad inside. You can try moving the pad little by little closer to the door and see if that works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts