Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to puppy proof my house over the past 4 days and I must admit, it is not going too well! :(

We have MANY bits and bobs around the house and there is just no way I can get rid of allof them.
The other trouble is we have at least 30 wires lying about from different appliances. I have tried to stack them together as best as I could but I still think its a hazard.
I have bought a huge playpen, but I don't want to leave Prada in there all the time if I am not watching over her.

What suggestions do you have for puppy proofing my house?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I didn't do anything really i just shut the door to my living room were all the wires are when she was out,so she had the kitchen and the hall,then she had the living room when we were in there,i put a barricade on my stairs so she couldn't go up there,i always think if you puupy proof too much your puppy will never learn what she/he is not allowed to touch or chew.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'm the same as Michelle I never used a playpen because I didn't pad train it seems pointless to me I crate trained and lotus was dome within 3 weeks and was uncrate whilst I was out but se was my second!

Just make sure you dint have dangerous stuff about I know some people have problems with wres I've never once had a wire chewed shoes nothing they get chews periodically throughout the day moreso than normal currently as lotus is teething like mad!

You will need to keep her confined to one room at a time fir a while though it's far too big and scary for them

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
None of mine have ever chewed on wires, but your local pet store should carry some Bitter Apple, Bitter Yuck or Bitter Orange spray...spray it heavily all over the wires and they will taste awful to her :)

I have pad trained in the past but actually cannot wait until we have a garden to put them out to potty in...right now they use our porch most of the time so they are trained to go "out" but on pads outside...its annoying but better than in the house. It can and DOES start to smell.

I use a pen for young puppies, Walmart.com: IRIS 4 Panel Indoor/Outdoor Plastic Pen White: Dogs. They can have a bed, a potty pad, and their food/water all in one place, but still "be around" my other dogs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can also try keeping your baby on a leash (tied to your belt loop) while you are around the house. This will help with training and getting them used to not messing with certain items. It also makes you at ease b/c you know exactly where they are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts