Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question about these shots..When I had a mixed breed..a few years ago, his vaccination book shows the set of shots every month. I remember he was almost 5 months old when we finally got to take him out. I am using a different vet now though because we moved since then and our past one is in another city.

Kalisee had her first set of shots (cpv it says) on the 15th of June. The vet said come back today for the second set...(29th of June) two weeks later.
CPV lepto and DA2pi it says in the book, is what she got today.

Now he said the next round is on the 13th of July..in another 2 weeks.

He said that in 12 days from today, Kalisee can start going out (stepping on the ground). Does this sound right to you? She will be 2.5 months. It seemed kind of quick where as I remember my first dog had to be in for ages. (almost 10 years ago)

I dont mind waiting longer but if I can actually take her and set her down places without putting her in danger, of course, it will be easier than holding her in the sling bag.

Do you think I should wait till after the last set in 2 weeks or do what he told me we can do in 12 days? Not that she is going to like it anyway, I know what is coming when harness and leash time roll around...:p

Thanks !! :)

P.s The first time she went to the vet 2 weeks ago, she was a scared little angel..today she bit at him before he even touched her. First shot she didnt flinch, today she screamed. I wish she would have done that when he asked for his fee instead.....:laughing2:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
That does sound about right. I believe it's usually 7-10 days, or some vets even recommend up to 2 weeks, after their second set of shots that they are normally "okayed" to go outside. Here in Sweden, puppies only receive two sets of shots total. The first shots are usually given around 7-8 weeks, then the second around 11-12. Gemma was a little late with her shots, so she had her first at 9.5 weeks, then her second at 13.5 weeks. We took her outside and let her walk on the ground 8 days after her second set of shots.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It really depends on the country what the requirements are. We did Stella's vaccines very slowly due to her size. 1 per week. 3 shots each for distemper and parvo, 1 for rabies. We opted out of lepto and Lyme. Now I Never worried about her being in the grass in my yard, I took her out just in the yard right after we got her. (she already had 1 round of vaccines) I did not take her on walks or to pet stores until they were finished.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I guess things have changed from way back when...My poor baby is screaming everytime we touch her today. She didnt do that with her first shot. Now she is all depressed in a corner and clearly in pain. Next time she bites us..I think I will show her a picture of the vets office :p

I am only joking...my heart breaks for her today. I remember getting shots as a kid and I reacted the same way if not worse!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If your puppy is in that much pain, she may have had a little reaction to the shots. Next time try giving her some Benedryl before she goes in. 1/2 hour or so. The vet will tell you the doseage, or you can get it from this group. Meantime just leave her alone, and offer her water in the cuddle bed so she won't dehydrate. Her biting is a measure of her pain. "Leave me alone, I hurt"!! Good luck with her. Sue

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hate doing shots,I requested half the dose due to size,refused lepto ,I also won't do boosters ,I waited 10 days before taking her out ,I also gave thuja 2 days before and 3 days after her shots to counteract any damage,hopefully your pup will settle perhaps the vet hit a muscle ,hope all is well very soon ,karen

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Poor thing. I'm sorry to hear she's not feeling well after her shots. Gemma acted like nothing happened after, which surprised me because she is such a little drama queen so I thought she wasn't going to take it well. I hope it isn't too serious and she feels better by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your puppy is in that much pain, she may have had a little reaction to the shots. Next time try giving her some Benedryl before she goes in. 1/2 hour or so. The vet will tell you the doseage, or you can get it from this group. Meantime just leave her alone, and offer her water in the cuddle bed so she won't dehydrate. Her biting is a measure of her pain. "Leave me alone, I hurt"!! Good luck with her. Sue
Oh she didnt bite me today. We had been having issues with her biting when playing..badly.

Now she is just in the corner sleeping and not really moving. We dont have benedryl here, I am going to call the vet and ask what I can do. We cant even touch her today at all.

Thanks all!!!!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm in the UK a we only get two sets of shots here. I'll be taking mine next week when he's settle in for his first shots which should be around 6-8 weeks and his second lot will be 2-4weeks after that. He's then allowed out 10 days after is second set of shots.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi . My chi recently had her shots and she yelped for dear life....we're going back for another round on the 7th. I think it's standard to wait out each round every two weeks. I take Lucky out from time to time but keep her in a carrier just so. She gets a feel of. Other places. I make sure she doesn't walk on the ground just yet...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone! She is much better today her old fiesty "toe biting while you're sleeping" self.
12 days till she gets to go out and smell stuff that is at eye level instead of trying to wriggle out of the carrier 15 minutes into our walk :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.