Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my little chi. She is 8 weeks old. The breeder gave her her first set of shots. When is it safe to let her explore the outside world? After the puppy shots first set, or after they are complete. I think the breeder told me the answer to this yesterday, but so much was happening...with the kids and all the puppies, that I didnt retain much.
At home I have 3 kids, a shih tzu and all that goes with that. I understand socialization is important when they are young. I can let her play with the variety of kids that come over, and can let her explore her environment around the house and yard. We do have several types of things happening in the yard, pool..large shop with gravel and car repair, lawn, play area, potty spot. In the house she has a play pen and a crate, depending on the level of confinement needed. We have wood floors, carpet and tile. When is it safe to let her explore the outside world? After the puppy shots first set, or after they are complete. I think the breeder told me the answer to this yesterday, but so much was happening...with the kids and all the puppies, that I didnt retain much. What can I do at home to socialize her? Any ideas are appreciated.

I had a daycare when my previous chi was a baby. She was the sweetest chi around. So I know the benefits of early socialization.

My ideas...
meet everyone that comes in.
play with shih tzu...hes great with her, but supervised of course
play with kids age 11+...again supervised
play beside (not with) toddler
vacuum and clean around her
feed her in alot of rooms
play with her inside and outside
Invite extra company

Shes too little to take on my walks...(laps around property) unless I carry her. Is there a benefit for her to do that?

In about 3 weeks my sister is getting married, we will be staying in a rv at my moms for a few nights. She will have more people there that are new. I can get her second set of vaccines before we go.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
welcome, I just went threw this. You mus not take out on public grounds until all shots. But if your sure no other dogs in area have been in your yard you can take out after 2nd shot. I am now able to socialize My chi Amberleah. I took her to a public Bark in the park gathering. She was scared abut she got better the longer we were there. it good to show them as much as you can so they are not afraid. Amberleah so scared of vacuum so working go that.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I always let mine in my garden as soon as they come home,outside when they've had all the vaccinations,also you can carry her round the streets /shops to meet people

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if this is true or not but I read in a book that puppies that don't have all of their shots can meet other dogs as long as the other dogs have had all of their shots and are healthy. It said to just ask questions before you let them meet. I'm not sure if it accurate though. The book was the K.I.S.S. puppy book.

Also, I don't know about other Petco's but the one by me has puppy socialization days. Every Tuesday and Thursday and you bring your puppy in to meet other people and other dogs. You have to be up to date on shots to go so it is completely safe for when she gets her shots. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts