Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, else is needed for a new pup?

I have a water dish, food dish, kennel, stuffed plushie, rope toys, chew toys, (going to get a pig's ear), harness, leash, blankie, some clothes, enzymatic cleaner, gotta get paper (he will be paper trained), I think that's it.

What else do I need for my pup??

·
Registered
810 Posts
A camera ready for action!!! It is so exciting!! Can't wait to see pics and hear all about it! I know something else that my chi loves, but it isn't a necessity. A cozy warm bed to let her lay in when she is not crated. I love mine. I bring it in the Family room when we are all in there and I bring it in the kitchen when we are cooking. She loves just sitting there chewing bones. I actually put it in her crate at night when she goes to bed. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
nutristat or nutrical. it's good to have on hand in case of hypoglycemia or if the pup is being a picky eater. it'll keep it's sugar levels correct and it also is nutritious! you might want some bitter apple- we had a hard time getting zoey to NOT chew on things in the apartment. a ticking clock might be a good idea too (or a snuggle puppy-- it's a stuffed animal that has a battery pack and it feels (and sounds) like it's heart is beating) your little one might be scared the first few nights and the ticking clock or heartbeat will be soothing.

i will try to look at zoey's stuff and see if i forgot to tell you anything. good luck! i can't wait to see pictures! :wave:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, I forgot to mention that I have the food Eagle Pack for small/med breeds.

I'm not sure if I can get nutristat here. I live in a town of 900 and our vet is a horse/cattle vet. Would something like corn syrup or the like work for a bit of an extra sugar?

Got the camera and I am looking for a bed. I think I'll have to make one as I've said before we're a town of 900, no pet stores here and no car to drive anywhere. I've had to ship all my supplies in!

I plan on crating him for the first while, while we paper train him.

Going to have to get blankies! We had a bunch of fleecy blankets around, but now I can't find them! Going to ransack upstairs.

Only two more weeks to go!!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
You can order nutrical from drs Foster and Smith catalog or online and they are very reasonable. Sounds like you are getting all ready for your new baby :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
yep, karo syrup would work in cases of hypoglycemia. but i'd really get some nutristat/cal if you are able to. like auggies mom said, you can order it online. we gave some to zoey 2x a day for a while when we first got her even if she didn't need it. ((i was a little paranoid about hypoglycemia :roll:) plus i liked that it was good for her.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I order this online in Canada?

There's a few things that can be found in the States that we just can't get in Canada.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Although we dont seem to use nutrical etc in uk (maybe we get our chis a bit older,i know i do, correct me if im wrong) i think the brand names rather than just sweetness like honey ,corn syrup have vitamins etc in them. :wink:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Katt said:
What do you guys use there that's the equivilent of Nutrical?[/quote) Well i have had chihuahuas for 20 years and have never needed to use anything, but i have never bred.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hmmm I just looked at my Drs Foster & Smith catalog for you but it doesn't say one way or the other about Canada. I have emailed them a question before off their website and they were very nice and quick to reply. :roll:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, so far I have a friend in vet college looking for it, I found a website that has something similar and someone in the states offered to mail me one. So I think I've got it covered for now!

Yesterday we picked up a bed, a plushie squeeky thing, a puppy nylabone, and some treats. I also found an adorable parka which I'll have to get when the pup is bigger!

Can't wait. Two more weeks to go!

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may want to get some children's benadryl to keep on-hand also. If you're going to have to drive a distance with the new puppy, you may want to dope it up so it sleeps on the ride home. Puppies tend to get very car sick. When I got Daisy, we had to drive about 4 hours and I thought she was going to die before I got her home. She just wouldn't stop vomiting. I stopped midway and called my vet and she told me to use children's benadryl. I don't remember the dosage, though. She slept the rest of the way home, but now she won't drink anything cherry-flavored -- I think because she associates it with how sick she was that day. (Poor puppy.)

I am embarrassed to admit that I used it at least one other time during that first week to get her to go to sleep. I had to go to work the next day and she wouldn't stop crying. I felt like a terrible mom afterward, but I figure it's just something she'll have to tell her shrink about when she's in therapy later in life :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts